Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees

Options
  • 18-01-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭

Last year the fee was €96...this year has gone up to €101(couldn't even leave it at a 100). But we, the repeats, have to pay a shocking €263.
    You'd swear they were growing special trees so we have nicer feeling paper and nicer tasting sealing stuff on our papers...
    It's crazy...FREE EDUCATION MY FR**KING ARSE...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hetheman

You think thats bad. I just paid 140 euro for my sons mock exams + 96 for the junior cert and January isn't over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

in all fairness your getting a fairly reasonable education for free (or your paying to repeat i dunno)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not a lot to pay in the general scheme of things. you would be paying thousands to repeat a year in college and that's 'free' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Well you need to pay for the examiners, the paper and supplies etc.

Free education, but not free examination ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Mark200 wrote: »
    Well you need to pay for the examiners, the paper and supplies etc.

Free education, but not free examination ;)
    However you have no official education without an examination, so it is not free.

• Advertisement

i think we should gather up and protest, saying ''ARGH change the title of our education system.......its not free but its basically almost free.........etc''

this arguement is TRIVIAL! dont bother, as i stated already your getting an alright education for next to nothing GET OVER IT

Fad wrote: »
    i think we should gather up and protest, saying ''ARGH change the title of our education system.......its not free but its basically almost free.........etc''

this arguement is TRIVIAL! dont bother, as i stated already your getting an alright education for next to nothing GET OVER IT

woah sorry about that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

alan4cult wrote: »
    However you have no official education without an examination, so it is not free.

no. You have free education, but you have to pay to prove your standard of learning. And the education is official, I'm certain your school wouldn't have any problem in issuing an official letter stating when and for how long you studied. But to say you have been educated is not the same as saying you have learned, to show you have learned you have to be examined and qualified, and that is not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

it's a complete free education if you have a medical card...
    The reason I was shocked was that they didn't warn us about these fees for repeating before we did repeat...Dad was fuming!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mars bar wrote: »
    it's a complete free education if you have a medical card...
    The reason I was shocked was that they didn't warn us about these fees for repeating before we did repeat...Dad was fuming!

€263 is exactly what I would call a shocking sum of money. In the general scheme of things it's not much at all. If you had gone to college this year for free third level education you would have had a registration fee of about €800 - better warn your father for next year. ;)

The fee is probably there because the Dept are giving repeats the privilege of having a second go at the Leaving; which for a lot (but not all - I'm generalising) wouldn't be necessary if they got the finger out the first time.

• Advertisement

I know ye are thinking I didn't work hard enough last year.I thought I had my points but the course jumped(an unexpected) 35 points on me. And I was thinking the same thing about the college fees, but I will still be going to college and will be still paying for my last year when all the others are finished so i'm still losing out.

I thought it was a 6 year free education to accommodate those who did tran year or those repeating. but hey, every repeat is in the same boat as I am so I know i am not on my own. None of ye are repeats and that's why ye aren't complaining...where are the other repeats on this board?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Anyone know if fees for 1st year in college are the same in all NUI's or are there differences? Damn career guidance teacher... good for nuttin...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

....tran year...

He he, that never ever got old in TY.

On a similar note, TY certainly was not free, 500 bucks methinks. I know you get alot of trips and stuff but its still quite alot of moneys.

I thought it was a 6 year free education to accommodate those who are repeating. ?

oh of course not!
    itd just encourage people to repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I know ye are thinking I didn't work hard enough last year.I thought I had my points but the course jumped(an unexpected) 35 points on me. And I was thinking the same thing about the college fees, but I will still be going to college and will be still paying for my last year when all the others are finished so i'm still losing out.

I thought it was a 6 year free education to accommodate those who did tran year or those repeating. but hey, every repeat is in the same boat as I am so I know i am not on my own. None of ye are repeats and that's why ye aren't complaining...where are the other repeats on this board?

I still don't see how you justify charging the same amount for repeats and first time leaving certs. The reason why it costs more is because you get more funding the first time because the leaving cert is such a valuable qualification to have. If you want to think about it this way, you are given one 'cheap' leaving cert, to do with as you will and after that it's up to you.

6 year free education? what? seriously, you're babbling, you are free to spend six years in the school as you wish within the school's regulations, and get that six years of education. You can even have the school give you proof of this attendance to make it 'official education' but the exam is separate...

Wow...great response from everybody. I see what ye are saying though...
    I don't mind too much now though coz i just won FREE tickets to the meteor awards! Woohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Well.. just paid E70 for my mocks.. phew.. no clue how much will it be for a real thing now..
    I guess i shouldnt be minding too as i just won Applie iTouch and E150 :D
    Anybody else won anythin recently?) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

Last year the fee was €96...this year has gone up to €101(couldn't even leave it at a 100). But we, the repeats, have to pay a shocking €263.
    You'd swear they were growing special trees so we have nicer feeling paper and nicer tasting sealing stuff on our papers...

your paying for the paper and **** you wasted last time, free education is not given to those who dont make use of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oh yeah i remember that feeling - but get your head out of your ass ;) think about what happens if you fail a year of college: You will then lose all your tuition benefits: meaning an annual fee that costs you ~1000 a year to go to college will then cost you ~10,000 for that year you repeat. Plus rent and food which already costs you about 10,000 a year anyway.

Quit yer bitchin kid :D learn to do it right the first time.

There is a difference between failing your first year of college and not getting points. You can have a bad day in the L.C and lose out on five points that can mess your whole L.C. In college, if you fail and you have done continuous assessment, then you are a lazy bum who needs to get your head outta your arse and do something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats ture: which is why I havent failed anything yet :) I'm just saying dont whine about an extra hundred euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

There is a difference between failing your first year of college and not getting points. You can have a bad day in the L.C and lose out on five points that can mess your whole L.C. In college, if you fail and you have done continuous assessment, then you are a lazy bum who needs to get your head outta your arse and do something...

eh not nescessarily. You can have passed your course with continuous assessment but still fail if you fail the written exam. And a lot of uni modules have 100% final exams, much like a lot of the Leaving Cert.( thank god I don't have any like that btw)

Advertisement