Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuff to do in forgien cities to make friends

• 18-01-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Ok so 6 months ago I moved to London for work reasons. I love it but one problem is I'm finding it hard to meet friends. At work most people live quite far away or others have their own mates, so work isn't an ideal place, even though we do go out for drinks sometimes which is good

In terms of flatmates well that's a lottery as you don't know if you have the same stuff in common with them.

So I'm left pretty much on my own at the weekends and that's getting really boring. I want to know what stuff could I do to meet people. I've always said that the best place to meet people is in college but I can't afford to do a course at the moment

Any suggestions? I have no problem actually making friends because I'm a laugh and easy going but meeting them is the problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 glitmal

mmm you see I'm not big on actually going out on my own. Talking to a regular doesn't work because they are usally with friends and I can't just walk up to strangers on my won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This thread is so much better suited to PI. Please have it moved.

But as long as were in AH I'll say candidly the best time to find great new people is to get proper drinking in ye and then you talk to everybody :D what a good thursday hads I.

Friends for life are found when you can talk about politics, drunk, without killing eachother. Find one of those :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wear a "kiss me I'm Irish" t-shirt and a big green hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mmm you see I'm not big on actually going out on my own. Talking to a regular doesn't work because they are usally with friends and I can't just walk up to strangers on my won
    Unfortunately that's the position your in so you have to, I'm not saying go up to a group of strangers and beg them to be your friends. But if your in a local sit near to some people say watching the match there's always going to be one that'll drag you into a conversation say about a match.

Couchsurfing.com would be one way of meeting people there always having meetups. Some sort of club or event, even volunteering would put you into contact with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

glitmal wrote: »

No choice. deal with it. Sink or Swim. Moving countries is no easy thing when it comes to re-establishing yourself but it gets done. I have the t-shirts to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just get tanked at the local and buy everyone booze and you will have loads of friends. Streaking wouldn't go amiss either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

When I first came over here I decided the best thing to do was to join up some sports clubs, I only stuck with one in the end but I met a lot of friendly people :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You could have a look in the irish post .The will have a list of social events to suit everybodys tastes .

Their is a new irish social club opening in London soon called London Irish Social Club (LISC ) email londonirishsocialclub@yahoo.co.uk to be added to the clubs mailing list or contact Alan on 020 8257 1564 or Mark 077 2278 3375

cheers L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Take a night class in something that interests you, find people with the same interests there or something. Take the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

check out gumtree.com underr the London listings. The internet is a good way to make friends (and more) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Go to your local "Irish club" in London. Not ideal but you may find more friendly people.
    There is also something more "honest" about visiting such a club. I.e. you are there to make friends. That is what the club is for.
    If you try to make friends in the local pub it can seem you are a bit pathetic.

Also, join a football club or play 5-a-side soccer.

Generally, you are now in different circumstances to what you had previously been and you must therefore re-establish your rules ! (whatever that means).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

When I was there I started working a night at the weekend in an Irish pub and that's how I met all my friends over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Step 1: Go to the local gentleman's club with a pair of assless leather chaps, leather cap and waistcoat. And some chains / dog collar.

Step 2: Dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A. Drink.

In local pubs.

B. Eat.

In local cafes, restaurants. And pubs

Thas what I did and look at me

Failing all, join a club....(A&B are better though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

GAA clubs are always looking for people to play or just help out. Check out the message boards at www.hoganstand.com - clubs advertise there regularly. Here's one: North London Shamrocks will be having their AGM on Saturday the 2nd of February in The Fox in palmers green at 6 pm. All new members welcome. Contact Tom Kilcommons ( 07931584799 ) or Tom Galvin ( 07882250885 ) or email info@theshamrocks.co.uk for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 glitmal

Good answers, keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Where abouts in London are you? I may be able to suggest a friendly local where you wouldn't feel weird going on your own for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Going to football is a great way to meet people imo, I found as I became a regular people would come up to me and talk to me in the pubs before a match.

Personally stayed clear of the Irish clubs pubs etc.. as wanted to integrate better, but that was just me, if you are having difficulty they are also a good option.

Advertisement