Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking my graphics card

Options
  • 18-01-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Just wondering is it worth it to overclock my 8800GTS 320MB?

Will I see noticeable performance increase in Crysis? What clocks can I expect to overclock to?

Current clocks are:
    Core 589
    Shader 1450
    Mem 920

System Specs:
    E6400@ 3.0ghz
    4GB 667mh Ram (3.25Gb, 32Bit Vista)

Cheers guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

that question is phrased wrong as it sounds like you are asking us to look into the future and see if you'll do it

*consults crystal ball*

I see a man, a scared man, overclocking to a core of 592Mhz, wiping the sweat from his brow and calling it quits there

Sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

L31mr0d wrote: »
    that question is phrased wrong as it sounds like you are asking us to look into the future and see if you'll do it

*consults crystal ball*

I see a man, a scared man, overclocking to a core of 592Mhz, wiping the sweat from his brow and calling it quits there

Sound about right?

Yup it was certainly phrased wrong :)

You are no Nostradamus but you are partially right. :p

Thread title is changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, go for it. I never have anything more than a few days before i push it.

My current way of testing a gfx overclock is to use rivatuner (steer clear of ntune)

I do a run through of the Crysis gpu bench for each increase in clock speed. First I increase the core by 10Mhz increments once I get artifacts I drop it back 10Mhz. I then increase the mem in 10mhz increments until I get artifacts then drop that back 10Mhz, then I unlink the shader and increase that in 10Mhz increments until I get artifacts then drop that back 10mhz and save those settings.

If I get artifacts in games with those clocks, I just exit and drop the core down another 10Mhz first, then the mem if I still get artifacts and then the shader, if this doesn't fix it, i'll reduce the core again and repeat.

Good stuff lads.

Would there be a noticeable difference in Crysis after a large overclock for example?

Not just FPS but graphical options? Never bothered to OC the GPU before as I always thought that I wouldn't notice the difference but then Crysis came out..

• Advertisement

You'll notice the biggest increase in performance from the core clock. But regardless of whether it gives you only 1 fps or 20 fps, if your card allows it then use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

hey king Nothing

its absolutly worth overclocking ur gts. i have a point of view 8800gts 320, and when i put the clocks to 620/1000 i see a 8-10 fps increase over the original clocks in crysis (cant remember wat original clocks are now (not on my pc at the mo))

i play crysis on 2nd from max resolution, no AA, all high (with a few things like post processing and textures set to very high with the hack) at a steady 30fps at those clocks

theres that program you can use to see wat maximum speeds you can use...and then use rivatuner to put the clocks at those speeds. cant remember for the life of me wat that program is called, maybe sumone else will know

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

From personal experience, I only overclock gfx cards for benchmarks. In CPUs you can get over 50% performance increase in most cases, but in gfx cards, you would be lucky to get a 10-15% without volt mods.
    On a new game like Crysis, that would mean going from 20 fps to 22 fps - not really noticeable, hardly an improvement.
    On an older game, this would be e.g. going from 150 fps to 165 fps - again, not the difference you will see with the naked eye.

In the case of my cpu (Q6600), taking it from 2400MHz to 3840, I did see a big difference in both UT3 and encoding etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

@ chosen

trust me, overclocking ur gpu makes an enormous differance for crysis. crysis being a game thats gpu limited and doesnt make full utilistation of youre cpu really makes it even more so. I noice a way bigger diferance in frame rates in crysis from overclockin my 8800 (i think from 513/920) to 620/1000 than i do from overclockin my e6600 from 2.4 to 3.6. beieve me, ive been fiddeling around with tryin to get the best blend of quality and frame rates i can get with crysis, and overclockin my gpu made nearly all the differance

also, 3840mhz on a q6600, unreal!

Cheers for replies.

Will give it a lash later and will let you all know how I got on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement