Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

African Nations Cup

• 18-01-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Sunday, 20 January 2008
    Ghana v Guinea, A, 17:00

Game 1, most games are on BBC but on Sky(satellite) but not on any main station you have to use the interactive station so you cant set them to auto turn on (afaik). BBC showing almost all of them with a highlights show on every night but the games are at nice times 5pm and 7pm and one 2pm that everyone willmiss.

No Appiah for Ghana but they do have Essien expect them to win the 1st game comfortably. No idea who will win outright a lot of players playing for the main teams that dont be on tv :D

Its football on tv :o

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think Tunisia will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Why no Appiah? Injury?

I love the African nations cup. Im supporting Angola due to United ties, keeping an eye on Manucho Goncalves.

BBC showing live games? Or just highlights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Why no Appiah? Injury?

I love the African nations cup. Im supporting Angola due to United ties, keeping an eye on Manucho Goncalves.

BBC showing live games? Or just highlights?

Appiah not in squad for it, Bbc showing live games but most are on the press the red button channel ie not bbc1234.

you have got to be taking the piss about the united bit? seriously do you even know what he looks like ? :D

i want Mali and ivory coast out asap for sevilla certainly dont what their players there any longer than needed.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'll be keeping an eye on this Manucho chap - 3 goals in his last 3 games for Angola, hopefully he'll get enough games for a WP. Sir Alex could have unearthed another Solskjaer!

I think I remember him in World Cup.

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Appiah not in squad for it, Bbc showing live games but most are on the press the red button channel ie not bbc1234.

you have got to be taking the piss about the united bit? seriously do you even know what he looks like ? :D

i want Mali and ivory coast out asap for sevilla certainly dont what their players there any longer than needed.

kdjac

Wtf i dont know what he looks like, ive never heard of him, thats why im going to watch him...

If thats alright with you of course.

I think I remember him in World Cup.

Good memory you got there, considering he wasnt in the squad!

Archimedes wrote: »

He was.

I read that he was and i saw a picture of him doing a bicycle kick against Portugal!

EDIT: found it, http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41753000/jpg/_41753326_akwa300.jpg

Looks quality to me lol!

Wtf i dont know what he looks like, ive never heard of him, thats why im going to watch him...

If thats alright with you of course.

Lol so you want him to win it so he stays in it longer would you not rather see him play for the team that pays his wages??

I actually knew you had never seen him before, and yes its fine with me thanks for asking.

i want the sevilla players out of there as quick as possible...

kdjac

He was.

I read that he was and i saw a picture of him doing a bicycle kick against Iran!

You read wrong.

Manucho was not in the Angonlan World Cup squad.

• Advertisement

Check above photo^^^ I saw that in beside an article about that crazy life story of his.

and KdjaCL i would rather watch Angola win the ANC with Manucho looking like a world beater than thinking we have signed a flop from a team that cant get out the group stages.

We dont need him right now, hoping Rooney or Carlos dont get injured tomorrow.

Seriously, you definitely have a problem. Notice I said I think I remember. There was a guy called Manucho who played striker.

Like did you take the time out to go to Wikipedia once I said that? Because there was no way you could know off the top of your head he wasnt in the squad.

Sigh, once again, that is not Manucho. I told you he was not in the squad for the WC twice already.

Wow.

KdjaCL, any reason why Appiah wasnt picked? That seems insane to me!

We dont need him right now, hoping Rooney or Carlos dont get injured tomorrow.

But if they did Manucho would be like there in 2 weeks :confused:
    Strikers feed on chances, its better for utd to have him on their bench then playing in ANC.

On the same note:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7194966.stm

nowt to do with agreeing to paying players on international duty eh?

kdjac

Injury according to BBC.

Appiah hs a knee injury afaik.

scupperd his move back to juve afaik, shame that quality player.

kdjac

Seriously, you definitely have a problem. Notice I said I think I remember. There was a guy called Manucho who played striker.

Like did you take the time out to go to Wikipedia once I said that? Because there was no way you could know off the top of your head he wasnt in the squad.

Well you're wrong on both counts. I knew Manucho wasnt in the squad because obviously once we signed an unknown Angolan striker, with Angola having played in the last World Cup, people on other Man Utd forums starting asking how he did in the competition. Thats where I read that he wasnt even in the squad.

As for you remembering a striker called Manucho in that squad, well I did research that. And again, you are wrong.

Fair enough, I was wrong on both counts; however

I think he played in the World Cup

Now if I had said
    ''I remember him playing quite well in the world cup' or had replied saying 'HE WAS IN THE SQUAD' then I could understand that response.

Personally I think you got a bit upset over it.

Sorry, I was just saying that it would require one hell of a memory to remember a player who wasnt even there. It was in jest, didnt mean anything by it. No hard feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

According to Eurosport http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18012008/58/african-cup-nations-live-eurosport.html they have most of the games live.

According to Eurosport http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18012008/58/african-cup-nations-live-eurosport.html they have most of the games live.

excellent altho archie does make me want to get violent with the tv sometimes.

kdjac

Sorry, I was just saying that it would require one hell of a memory to remember a player who wasnt even there. It was in jest, didnt mean anything by it. No hard feelings.

I thought it was the guy who did the overhead kick...putting 2 and 2 together I thought 5 equaled a Man Utd player. Sorry about that.

Quite odd really that a 22 year old player(at the time) didn't even make the squad, and then goes onto play for Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No idea who will win outright

|Host|Winner
    2004|Tunisia|Tunsia
    2006|Egypt|Egypt
    2008|Ghana|Ghana?

Ghana for the hattrick? :)

Maybe we'll see some dodgy refereeing 'favouring' the home team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Appiah is being treated for a blood clot on his knee...he had ligament surgery last summer and it's possible the clot developed as a result.

I think Ivory Coast will win it - they looked the best of the Africans(just ahead of Ghana) at last World Cup. Performed v. well in group with Argies, Dutch and Serbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I hope Nigeria win it. Always had a soft spot for the Super Eagles. Even though that would mean my beloved Newcastle having to do without Oba Martins for the duration of the tourney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kinaldo wrote: »
    I hope Nigeria win it. Always had a soft spot for the Super Eagles. Even though that would mean my beloved Newcastle having to do without Oba Martins for the duration of the tourney.

Are you still down under or do you just have weird sleeping patterns too? :D

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Are you still down under or do you just have weird sleeping patterns too? :D
    I wish. Serious knee injury brought me back. And I work nights.

kinaldo wrote: »
    I wish. Serious knee injury brought me back. And I work nights.

Sh1t. Well at least you get to surf boards... if thats a consolation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

But if they did Manucho would be like there in 2 weeks :confused:
    Strikers feed on chances, its better for utd to have him on their bench then playing in ANC.

kdjac

From what I read, It would be in Man Utds best interests for him to play as many games to help him get a work permit. He is not abe to play premiership football just yet

and I'm up at 5am Irish time. Slightly weird sleeping pattern....

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Sh1t. Well at least you get to surf boards... if thats a consolation?
    Only when Newcastle are dominating the forum like they have been lately!

Unearthly wrote: »
    and I'm up at 5am Irish time. Slightly weird sleeping pattern....

Join the club. Though scoops will do that to you. Just hope you haven't got work in the AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ill be supportin Cameroon. Although I wont be gutted to see Etoo return home a little earlier than expected.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Isnt there some rule with the AN that player is entitled to stay for the whole tournament, whether their team is still in it or not?

Doubt many do tho.

bump

on in a bit.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Keep an eye out for some dodgy goalkeeping. Best thing about the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Look at the length of the grass....you could cut silage off that.
    Cant even see the players boots!
    Seems very fast and physical in comparison to European style football.

Penalty kick for Ghana

Scored by Gyan. 1-0 although the tackle looked dubiously outside
    or was it?

goal worthy of winning any game, screamer from muntari.

2-1 ghana

over 2.5 goals seems to be a good bet on every game in this.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Any idea how Kingston did for Ghana? Can't believe Hearts are doing so bad with some of the players they have.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Any idea how Kingston did for Ghana? Can't believe Hearts are doing so bad with some of the players they have.

Kingston was pretty good. Did a lot of running and was always piling on the attacking pressure but his final ball ranged randomly between woeful and amazing. I'd guess you could blame it on the extremely long grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Anyone else watching Ghana v Cameroon? Cameroon just won 1-0

Bikey sent off for Cameroon in last minute for pushing a stretcher bearer to the ground:D

I've seen it all now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What went through his head when he did that. A moment of madness if ever there was one.

lol wtf.

no idea why he did that.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

It was his own player being attended to wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes it was. Game almost over and his team is winning. There is no logic to it.

Song was down, but the medics were ghanian maybe he said or did something

kdjac

Ivory Coast going out. 3-1 to the Egyptians who have really impressed me. Anybody have any idea what Kolo Toure was doing for the 3rd goal? The striker cut back outside the box and Toure sprints in the opposite direction???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Egypt deserved it, Zidan is gona get bought by somebody impressive, Ivory Coast with all their big names don't look like a team. That said, Drogba could have won this game.

4-1 it finished.

Cameroon vs Egypt in the final.

• Advertisement
Advertisement