Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROH top 50 Matches of 2007

• 18-01-2008 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

http://www.pwinsiderxtra.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=9518&p=1

I wanted to get some people's opinions, and a bit of discussion going about this. A column i did just went up on PWInsiderXtra, listing my favourire fifty ROH bouts of the year. It's a pretty frickin' long piece...
    can be found on the main page, if this link doesn't work...

Here's the first few picks anyhows. I don't pretend this to be a perfect summary of the year at all, just my thoughts.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima (Manhattan Mayhem II)
    So this is it. The match of the year for me. And to clarify, this wasn’t just my Ring of Honor MOTY, it was my favourite full-stop. It’s pretty disturbing when you distil it all down, make your choice, then go back to watch it, and watch if yet again. The match takes on a bizarre energy where it carries a lot of expectation, yet you’ve already seen it, and are completely aware of what occurs. But that’s what took it for me. Already, I’ve seen this bout five or six times, and each time, I’m utterly blown away by it. Since I reviewed Manhattan Mayhem II recently, I thought it appropriate to include those thoughts:
    Absolutely spectacular match-up. This one would be good enough to redeem an average show, but on a set this good, it is even more satisfying. Danielson is out first (paying attention WWE? The Champion enters LAST!), and immediately carries with him that legitimate feeling of anything could happen. This feels like an important title match, one where they belt could definitely change hands. The crowd are electric. Danielson starts out timidly, trying to stop the advancing champion with kicks and sharp, brief attacks, in a very believable, MMA style. It’s all very realistic, and exciting, because you really feel that if Morishima gets his hands on him, he will kill the poor guy. When they do get in tight, the action is brutally realistic and at times, frighteningly stiff, with a few exchanges that see either guy lose control with wild, hectic strikes, that tap into that atmosphere one usually only gets with legit shooting. At one point during this, Dragon’s eye is somehow injured, and he looks in extreme pain. Morishima nonetheless tosses him to the outside, and dumps him the chair, giving him a big boot. Dragon cuts him off in a follow up attempt, and then hit’s the springboard cross body over the guard rail, which looks crazily sicker than usual, thanks to Dragon’s expression resembling that of an extra in Hostel. Back in the ring, they move into some amazing sequences, with Dragon continuing to target the leg of the Champion, who continually fights back with strikes. What’s great is that by working the leg, Danielson is clearly hindering Morishima in his attempts to hit his trademark moves, but Morishima has so much in him that even after all the innovation and intelligence, Dragon still finds him near impossible to put down. It doesn’t let up at all, with Danielson absorbing continual punishment to the eye and face (Dragon’s eye was legitimately injured). The final few minutes of this are simply astonishing, as Dragon’s hard work pays off, and Morishima’s defences finally falter, allowing Dragon to hit his big spots, but even these can’t get the job done! Thus, Dragon is forced to improvise further still, whilst the New Yorkers are completely in the palm of his hand.
    Of course, it helps proceedings when the crowd are as white-hot as the NY bunch are, but crucially, these two know how to maintain that. They know how to fuel that fire with intensity, and neat, subtle reworking of both of their trademark spots, that actually play up on their history with other people, and confound expectations, preventing the knowledgeable fan-base from becoming jaded and tired. From what I’ve seen/heard/been told, this bout is high up on most folks shortlists, but is perhaps overshadowed by some of Dragon’s other bouts. But not for me. This is one of the most insanely satisfying, absorbing efforts within a squared circle I’ve ever seen. Remove the stiff, searing brutality, and the red-hot crowd, strip away the note-perfect performances of both athletes, and you’re left with the perfect rendition of the David vs. Goliath, for this century.

2. Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA (Driven)
    3. Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuiness (Driven)
    Two more Bryan Danielson outings take spots two and three, as I run the risk of being perceived as some sort of Dragon mark. But I felt it unfair to try and avoid that, to merely spice the list up. When I attempted to, I just couldn’t pretend I enjoyed anything more than these two scintillating encounters.
    What’s amazing about these however, is that they’re both available on the same friggin’’ DVD!
    Again, Dragon proves to be the most versatile performer of the year. These two bouts are tricky to describe, because in many ways they’re so similar, but yet they’re simultaneously different and distinctive.
    The Nigel Match is perhaps more a fight. It conveys what is at stake. It isn’t just a number one contenders match, it’s an culmination of where they’ve been before, and the desperation that both feel at being so inseparably linked, by both achievement and skill. Throughout this, they both deliver a little bit of everything in each man’s respective, err… cannon, and they do so whilst still convincing you that this is a battle, a struggle, and not an exhibition. In that regard, this is why this bout is the closest of all of their encounters to their best (Unified: August 2006). It’s also the perfect match to show your friends who don’t like wrestling, because it’s not real, or those folk who believe every Ring of Honor match is akin to an Amazing Red spot-fest. If the Dragon/Nigel feud were a Jeff Hardy match, this move would be the Swanton Bomb.
    Alternatively, I preferred the KENTA match (merely a DVD extra), just that little bit more. As in 2006 though, it’s a tough choice (in 2006, I had KENTA/Dragon from Glory by Honor, and Nigel/Dragon, as 1 and 2 on the list respectively). But this effort topped their first encounter, taking their previous interaction into consideration to build a match that may have been crippled by what seemed like an obvious win for KENTA. Yes, it looked entirely probably that he would emerge victorious to even up their rivalry, but believe me, you’ll forget that as this bout progresses. The final few minutes of this bout are also amongst the most scintillating I’ve ever witnessed. It was almost as if these two guys looked forward to each other, knowing that opportunities for them to square off would be few and far between, like long-lost chess rivals. And that sentiment transcends into the crowd anytime these two are in contact with one another. With that in mind, they gave it everything, knowing that a loss would haunt them until the next improbably occasion where they would meet. A fantastic bout, and a really subtle, exhilarating rivalry.

4. Briscoe Brothers vs. Motor City Machine Guns (Good Times: Great Memories)
    For the entire year, I was pretty sure that this list would be topped by either American Dragon, or these guys, this Briscoes. What just, just gave that edge to Dragon, and possibly enabled the Briscoes to slip, was the vastly different bouts that Danielson was able to execute, every time to an incredible standard, where at times, the Briscoes treaded repeatedly in the same waters. But what fantastic waters they were!
    If I was to show one Briscoes match to someone, I’d probably show them this one. More so than the devastating ladder bout, or their other outings, this one epitomises what the Briscoes of 2007 are all about.
    This is stunt-filled, breathtaking athleticism, but contrary to what many naysayers like to believe, that’s not all it is. Around the half hour of furiously paced action, they manage to fit in the most subtle and fascinating character development, and some really fine storytelling. This really shocked me, as although by now, I’ve learned to not be surprised by a Briscoes match, upon seeing this for the first time, I was concerned that it would resemble their encounters from 2002/03, and be a series of stunning, but ultimately numbing stunts. The stunts are there, but they follow some great tag work (yes, there are elements of psychology at work here!), and a standard-setting heel performance from Alex Shelley. The duo of him and Sabin is completely and utterly wasted in TNA. Make no mistake, this is a wild spectacle of a match, but unlike at least three of these guys five years ago, it’s a co-ordinated, logically progression of one, and that’s what makes this so satisfying. All the goodness of a huge, prolonged rivalry, rolled into one match.

5. Briscoe Brothers vs. El Generico & Kevin Steen (Man Up)
    I don’t wish to be critical of this match, because it’s stunning. It’s a vicious, jaw-dropping spectacle, that deserves to be seen, and seen again, and admired. However, Christ, I hope to not see anything like this again. The one problem with it (and it’s a major flaw), is that one of the main reasons that this is so astonishing, is because all four guys emerged still able to walk. What did surprise me however, was that these guys did manage to create a sense of anticipation, and build up to the devastation. Their hatred started things out, with a stiff, wild brawl around ringside. This sapped the strength and energy of the wrestlers, as they then entered the ring, having to rely on teamwork, and cunning in order to establish enough of an advantage in order to climb the ladder (Ladders, as it proved to be). When team-work proved to not be quite enough from either side, in light of the determination and desire in evidence, the ladders then became used as brutal weapons. Also, rather nicely, Jay and Steen managed to create a dramatic finish, which is something that many ladders suffer from, that problem of having the ending simply being a guy scaling the steel. Instead, the idea here was to reduce everything down to a literal fistfight, that encapsulated the need within these guys to emerge victorious. That’s why the bulk of WWE’s ladder matches will never, ever touch this (especially not the money in the bank spot-fests). Yes they’re exciting, but they don’t have the confidence and know-how that a long term feud builds within a wrestler, of almost instinctively being able to convey what’s in their heads.

6. Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer (Supercard of Honor 2)
    A year. A year this built for. When the blow off to their epic feud finally arrived, it actually ran the risk of being overshadowed. They risked being overshadowed by the first ROH encounter between Roderick Strong and Austin Aries, previously one of the most beloved tag teams in company history. They risked being outperformed by the Dragon Gate six-man, a rematch that was expected to be at least as good as the bout that was for many, the match of 2006. Additionally, their feud lasted so long, featured so much brutality, invention of drama, it begged the question, what more could they do?
    Well, somehow they did it. Aided by not being booked to go on last (which drew criticism, but made sense, yes, it was the main event of the show, perhaps the draw, but like Triple H/Steve Austin at No Way Out 2001, it required a crowd at peak energy levels, who would’ve been drained by the nature of the DG bout), these two took part in an absolute war, at times - a gore-fest, but one never devoid of drama. Like Homicide/Dragon at Final Battle 06, these two had the sense to incorporate all the individual elements that people loved about their feud, and wrapped it all together in a stunning package. They also pulled out the rail-road spikes, that had been utilised in storylines, and took them to the next level, sickeningly pummelling each other in the face, in what was gruesome, but when you think about it, completely logical. In the end, the right guy emerged victorious, and yet both guys were elevated to no end. Despite the two of them being involved in attention grabbing storylines lately (particularly in Jimmy’s case), this remains the pinnacle, thus far, of each of their careers. Outstanding.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I had a look at that yesterday, I didn't have the time to read the whole thing but I glanced at the matches. I haven't seen all of them but I wouldn't disagree too much

I only saw your top pick last week, and it does deserve top spot. The story Danielson told in the match was amazing, the way he wasn't committing too much at the start and sort of testing Morishima. Then going all out when his eye got hurt, but he still knew how to avoid all of Morishima's big moves. That bit when Danielson finally got Morishima down was just brilliant, along with Danielson's reaction. Wonderful match

I had Danielson vs McGuinness as my number one match before I saw the one I just mentioned. I felt it was just slightly better than the match with KENTA, I think I just preferred that style more. There's really not that much to separate them. You're right about the finish to the KENTA match, it was something else. I don't think anyone can be called a Danielson mark after the year he had, I think he's just too good not to like!

The Briscoes/MCMG match deserves to be in the top 10, but I thought it was a lot better than the Briscoes vs Steen & Generico ladder match. Not that the ladder match was bad, it's way up there as the best gimmick match I saw from 2007, I just appreciated the story of the Machine Guns match more than the spots of the ladder match. The Machine Guns match is actually far and away my favourite Briscoes match of last year. I agree with what you wrote there

Reading your bit about Samoa Joe managing to turn the crowd against him when wrestling Nigel in Liverpool brings back memories. Memories of when I cared about Joe! He was brilliant in that match, setting Nigel up for that awesome comeback. Now he's just a whinger and complainer who's been wasted so bad

Only other thing I'll comment on for now is that personally, I'd rank Shiosaki vs Danielson a lot higher than 18th. You're right about the story they told being so simple, yet I still enjoyed it a lot more than many other matches I saw. Although having said that, I haven't seen all the matches you ranked above it

Fair play for writing that much, I'll probably have a look back at it when I've watched a few more of the matches mentioned. The bits I've read are very well written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Originally I had GO/Dragon a bit higher (around 10 or so?), but it slipped after i rewatched the Morishima defences, and the Briscoes feud with Steen/Generico. For me, it probably suffered from being a one-off, rather than part of a bigger picture of sorts. But yeah, it was a fantastic match, and i loved the reaction it provoked from the Tokyo crowd.

Yeah, the Briscoes/MCMG bout was incredible. I shoved the Ladder match probably higher than i personally would have done, because of what they achieved in the environment. And the more i wrote about, the more I appreciated aspects of that.

Cheers, thanks for the postitive feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good list and hard to disagree with any of the choices. I would argue with the order of some, but thats only personal opinions.

I'm only as far as Manhatten mayhem II, so my list is incomplete as yet.. I'm not going to do a list of 50, not a review of each, merely a list, pretty much as chronologically as possible.

Samoa Joe Vs Takeshi Morishima
    Briscoes Vs Steenerico
    Joe Vs Nigel
    Briscoe Vs Briscoe
    Nigel Vs Jimmy Rave
    CIMA, Yokosuka, Dragon Kid & Ryo saito Vs Delirious, Aries, Castagnoli & Romero
    Jimmy Jacobs Vs BJ Whitmer in the cage
    Morishima Vs Shingo
    Briscoes Vs MCMG
    Danielson Vs Go Shiosaki
    Danielson Vs Nigel (Ill have to watch this again because I really think this is not quite as good as some of their previous efforts)
    Danielson Vs KENTA
    Danielson Vs Morishima MMII

^^^

Yeah i would definitely recommend giving Dragon/Nigel another go, for me, it was better second time round. Be interesting to see your list, as pretty much the same matches turn up each time round, but like you say, in a different order.

I actually just saw Survival of the Fittest, and probably would have included that somewhere, as the final really impressed me. Hero was fantastic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just having looked at your list again, there is one match which stands out to me, which I know others were impressed by, which I absolutely HATED. That was Jack Evans Vs Roderick Strong.

The reasons I hated this so much as the same, and possibly unfair, reasons I hate Evans. At FYF NYC (I think), Evans was attacked by a mystery assailant who turned out to be, rather predictably, Roderick Strong. So at ASE they have a match. Beofre it even started Evans ruined the psychology of this for me by his entrance. Here was a guy who had been jumped from behind by a former ally, supposedly shelving him for about a month, yet rather than be focussed on the task at hand, he dances to the ring with his usual schtick and gives his few moves before the bell.

Perhaps I am reading too much into one entrance, but from that point on I hate hated everything Jack Evans does. I dont find his offense in the slightest bit logical, and just find him to be a total flip monkey.

• Advertisement

I agree with you in regards to the psychology aspect, particularly as to how the match started off. This was also my problem with Strong/Aries, at Supercard of Honor 2, and is the main reason why those matches didn't go higher on the list.. they should have felt like hate-filled feuds, and failed miserably in the context of these matches. That said, i still think the matches were very good, and enjoyed the brutal bullying Strong exhibited.

However, i do think Jack has alot ot offer, and has improved considerably over the last couple of years. He's capable of greatly sympathetic babyface performances, and i think is a cut above most high flyers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Having seen Undeniable, I have to say I enjoyed Strong vs Aries most, which is strange for me because I wasn't too interested in their feud til now. That’s probably cos I ****in hate the Resilience, but anyway, they put on a great match here with a great ending sequence.

NRC vs Briscoes is excellent too, in the Briscoes kind of way! I like the team of Romero and Richards. I wasn't blown away by Nigel vs Morishima though. Probably because even though I new the result, I spent the whole match cheering on Shima. I don't like Nigel as champ. I think if ye watch Glory by Honor you’ll see why. I really wish they had of put the title on him at Unified. I know why they didn't but he had so much momentum at the time and now I think the wind is out of his sails somewhat.

Chris was awesome in the SOTF!! I never get bored of his constant showcases of athletic prowess! I love the matching Survivor of the Fittest/Survivor of the Fattest t shirts him and Bobby Dempsey (the most over man in the company!!) have.

As for Evans, he has improved a lot but I don’t buy into the Vulture Squad and would never fancy their chances in a match because they are 3 flippers. I’d take the Hangmen 3 over them any day. :eek:

Totally agree on Survival of the fittest. hero was outstanding, and made that match. It probably would have made the list, around number 30, if i had seen it beforehand. Some of the subtle stuff he did in that bout was absolutely fantastic.

I've heard great things about Strong/Aries at Undeniable.

Advertisement