Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlewhite...wats it like?

• 19-01-2008 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Iv just booked a place in castlewhite for this year. Hopefully il get the point for my course n all that but im wondering did i make a mistake booking castlewhite people seem to tink its pretty bad. Whats it like? Any info appreciated..is it clean enuf? wat r the rooms like? tanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I hope to go to UCC next year assuming I get the points
    what course did you go for (commerce with chinese myself)

as for apartments i went with victoria lodge after talking to some people down there (brookfields is also supposed to be very good)

Didnt hear very good things about castlewhite to be honest though
    old fashioned
    and a friend was living there and the tv was broke (from when they went in there) and it took the managment 3 months to get it fixed, the furniture was a mess and so on

though it is a fair bit cheaper and right beside the university
    your choice really but if your gonna be a 1st year I would not recommend it (going by other people now because im only doing the leaving myself at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

They are referred to as Castlesh1te, i don't know why.

They are referred to as Castlesh1te, i don't know why.
    Simple yet brilliant, just how I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 schlafshane

castlewhite was awful when i was there, though the place i'm in now isn't much better... victoria lodge is the place to be as far as I can see. Castlewhite has one good thing going for it, and that's location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TrueBlue90

oh dear...:(

im tinking of pharmacy (i know....zzzz....) r maybe psychology i duno...

That bad huh? castlesh1te....wel i suppose its only the one year...and i dont have very high expectations now so at least it wont come as a shock!! cud u compare it to a travel-lodge perhaps? dats wat it luks like from the pictures...mind you those pictures luk old enuf....the clothes that the ppl r wearing in them say it all!!

• Advertisement

well, it's a few years since I stayed there, but the warden could be pretty strict: no parties. There was no internet either, and the furniture was terribly uncomfortable. It has it's good points, it's just not as comfortable as victoria lodge.
    Unless they have done it up since 2005, which is entirely possible.

Are you going in with friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

TrueBlue90 wrote: »
    oh dear...:(

im tinking of pharmacy (i know....zzzz....) r maybe psychology i duno...

That bad huh? castlesh1te....wel i suppose its only the one year...and i dont have very high expectations now so at least it wont come as a shock!! cud u compare it to a travel-lodge perhaps? dats wat it luks like from the pictures...mind you those pictures luk old enuf....the clothes that the ppl r wearing in them say it all!!

Most people i know who took psychology ended up saying it was completely different to what they expected and some were disappointed. I would recommend trying to email one of the lecturers for some example of notes/textbooks or what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Was Castlewhite not done up last summer?

No internet in castlewhite, wow that sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Castlewhite was done up last summer.It also does have internet access now.It's still probably the worst of the student complexes though.

• Advertisement

hmm. if it has internet now, then the location probably makes it worth it. it's not likely to be much more comfortable, but the big thick walls meant that people could party away in the kitchen, and you could study in your room, or vice versa.

But the location's not that great considering there's (a few) nicer houses on college road and that new place near victoria cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smurfit06

nicer places than castlewhite would include a bin! Its damp, cold, And not worth a penny you pay. Look around for accommodation. General rule would be the further from college you go, the better the house. There are some nice houses on Western Road across from the Clinic and the IT Centre. But seriously, look up www.daft.ie and look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was there the other day for the first time since it was done up in the summer, and it seems grand

No carpet on the floor of the living room I was in, but that was the only real flaw I could notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Castlewhite are pretty much the worst student apartments on offer in Cork. You're much better off with Victoria Mills, at Victoria Cross. Free broadband + TV and phone points in the rooms. Also dishwashers.

BTW, if you're thinking of doing pyschology, that department is located on the main campus. It's located out at the Enterprise Centre and count on having at least half of your classes out there. It's only 10 minutes from the main campus but when if you're walking from Farranlea, Victoria Lodge or Victoria Mills or anywhere near there, it takes about 30 minutes.

Advertisement