Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on TEFL/similar for use in France-short term(3-4months)

• 19-01-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'd like to spend this summer doing some form of TEFL in France in order to do something different for a while, and improve my French before looking for work on the continent.

I'm asking a lot as:

1. I've no teaching experience
    2. I want to do it in Paris...
    3. I only want to do it for 2-4months
    4. France does not seem to be the most plentiful for TEFL type work based on a quick search of TEFL.com
    5. Most offerings are not short term, except for summer camps in the middle of nowhere...

I'm 25, male, have a BSc(computer science), will have about 3 years IT experience by time I leave(&some industry IT qualifications).

I am prepared to spend some time and money between now and the end of May in order to facilitate this.

It has to be night/weekend training though as I work full time.

Something that would be "valid" further afield would be good too, as I'll probably do further travelling over the coming couple of years.

Advice?
    Am I looking for the impossible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

Nobody knows anything about this?
    Am I in the wrong forum? If so, could admins recommend a more appropriate one? & maybe move this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you actually have a TEFL qualification? Because if you don't, it's very difficult to get a job.

Secondly, most Parisians will be well enough versed in English, as will most tourists there. If you want to teach English in France, you'd have a much better chance of finding work somewhere much more rural.

In the meantime, look into schools that teach English over the summer. Ring them and enquire. Do the groundwork yourself.

If you're looking on the TEFL website, surely you can see their list of classes, times and locations. Pick one that suits you and do it. TEFL is the most internationally recognised so it's the best one to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

Faith wrote: »
    Do you actually have a TEFL qualification? Because if you don't, it's very difficult to get a job.
    No, thats why I'm posting here to see what the best type of qualfication to do is - because I've heard of other similar ones.
    Secondly, most Parisians will be well enough versed in English, as will most tourists there.
    Yep, I know that from having holidayed there...hence why I listed "I want to do it in Paris" as one of the reasons I know I'm asking a lot.
    If you want to teach English in France, you'd have a much better chance of finding work somewhere much more rural.
    I know that too, but I'm sort of set on a city... like I say tho, I know I'm asking a lot so we'll see...
    TEFL is the most internationally recognised so it's the best one to do.
    This is what I was looking to confirm/check. I'm attending a TEFL information meeting in Dublin on Saturday so that should provide information, but I was really after some less biased comments - i.e. from those who have done this already - they seem to run lots of different courses from 20hours to 100hours & then some others...? I'm wondering what is necessary/what is a waste of time?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd imagine it's different levels of qualification. For example, if you do a 20 hour course, you'd be qualified to teach English to beginners, and a 100-hour course would mean you could teach it to advanced students.

Advertisement