Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffin figured out

• 19-01-2008 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Looking over all the facts given it's obvios whos in the coffin now

A man with a teenage son.
    A man from new york.
    A funeral taking place in an african-american community.
    A funeral kate (and most others) did not want to attend.
    A person the creators have said we have already seen.

Well if you haven't gotten it already let me spell it out for ye..

M I C H A E L

nuff said

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

welcome to 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 4_tailed_fox

Cremo wrote: »
    welcome to 6 months ago.

haha good one, cause theres been so many episodes between then and now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

but all the clues you gave came from that episode that was shown 6 months ago, in fact there was a lengthy discussion about the coffin back then and we all pretty much came to the same conclusion.

Cremo wrote: »
    but all the clues you gave came from that episode that was shown 6 months ago, in fact there was a lengthy discussion about the coffin back then and we all pretty much came to the same conclusion.

but did anyone finish it off by saying nuff said or did anyone cme to the conclusion it could be walt judging by the size of the coffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

did anyone cme to the conclusion it could be walt judging by the size of the coffin

Well he did grow like 2 foot in the space of a month or two in the show judging by end of season 3!

Cremo-stop being a prentenious dick.

• Advertisement

Well he did grow like 2 foot in the space of a month or two in the show judging by end of season 3!

Cremo-stop being a prentenious dick.

cremo quit lording you're 1337 skills over us and mr wert where are you're manners I fail to see how any appendage could grow 2 foot in such a short space of time never mind that one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Looking over all the facts given it's obvios whos in the coffin now

A man with a teenage son.
    A man from new york.
    A funeral taking place in an african-american community.
    A funeral kate (and most others) did not want to attend.
    A person the creators have said we have already seen.

Well if you haven't gotten it already let me spell it out for ye..

M I C H A E L

nuff said

I dunno how you are so sure its Michael, i think its Ben and it makes more sense its him when you look at the actual facts.

There is no mention its a man with a teenage son, Jack finds out from reading the paper which has an article about a man dying at 4am,possible suicide. I dont remember an mention of a son so thats that "fact" gone.

The funeral in an african area suggests Michael alright but then it you see no one turns up, you make a point Kate (and most others) - from the flash forward we see the priest asking is Jack a friend or relative and he says neither, yet he is distraught enough to want to kill himself off a bridge when over the death and has been taking flights all the time hoping to get back on the island. Surely he is distraught cos it is Ben,possibly the only man who knew how to get back-who is neither friend or relative. Also Kate says why would she go, if only a few people from flight 815 make it off the island you would think they would become close,unless it was Ben who she despises.
    Michael has a wife and son surely they would have attended the funeral if it was him,also the coffin is small in size,Michael is not small, Ben is.

As i say i think its Ben and apart from the black community (which i think is a decoy) there isnt any real solid info to suggest Michael.

Axwell wrote: »
    I dunno how you are so sure its Michael, i think its Ben and it makes more sense its him when you look at the actual facts.

There is no mention its a man with a teenage son, Jack finds out from reading the paper which has an article about a man dying at 4am,possible suicide. I dont remember an mention of a son so thats that "fact" gone.

The funeral in an african area suggests Michael alright but then it you see no one turns up, you make a point Kate (and most others) - from the flash forward we see the priest asking is Jack a friend or relative and he says neither, yet he is distraught enough to want to kill himself off a bridge when over the death and has been taking flights all the time hoping to get back on the island. Surely he is distraught cos it is Ben,possibly the only man who knew how to get back-who is neither friend or relative. Also Kate says why would she go, if only a few people from flight 815 make it off the island you would think they would become close,unless it was Ben who she despises.
    Michael has a wife and son surely they would have attended the funeral if it was him,also the coffin is small in size,Michael is not small, Ben is.

As i say i think its Ben and apart from the black community (which i think is a decoy) there isnt any real solid info to suggest Michael.

The priest did mention he had one son plus if you think about it by the looks of michael coming back in season 4 seems he must know how to get back to the island now if something happens ben or he stays on the island michael would then be the only one left who knows how to return to the island, as we saw jack is desperate to get back to the island if michael dies then jack probobaly gave up hope and just wanted to end it all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The priest did mention he had one son
    No he didn't.

I agree with Axwell that Ben makes the most sense. Although at the time the episode was written the writers didn't know for certain yet if Harold would come back so they were probably keeping their options open, hence the African-American area, mention of a son in the article, etc.

The priest did mention he had one son plus if you think about it by the looks of michael coming back in season 4 seems he must know how to get back to the island now if something happens ben or he stays on the island michael would then be the only one left who knows how to return to the island, as we saw jack is desperate to get back to the island if michael dies then jack probobaly gave up hope and just wanted to end it all

I still think the coffin is too small and if its Michael where is Walt and his wife? Also the actual person in the article who is supposed to be in the coffin is called John Lantham, this is considered to be an alias name being used. We also dont know Michael actually went anywhere far from the island, he may never have got back to the normal life. Also if the person who died was a passanger of 815 i would have thought the paper might mention they were a survivor of flight 815 as for any of them to survive would be considered big news when the world assumes they are dead and then for this person to later commit suicide would also be a big deal. I still think its Ben,unfortunately we arent gonna find out for a long time i fear!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I still think the coffin is too small and if its Michael where is Walt and his wife?
    You mean his ex-wife? Walt's mother? She's dead.

You mean his ex-wife? Walt's mother? She's dead.

yes ex-wife and i had forgot she died before the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Maybe Walt dies?
    Michael coming back in season 4 is because himself and Walt never made it off the island, so he wouldn't know the way back.
    The writers have confirmed Michael will be a different person when he comes back - so he could be despised by the rest of them.
    Having said that, I don't believe it's Michael (the coffins was very small), nor do I believe it's Ben. Why would Ben leave the island.
    Even though it's been said we've seen this character already, who's to say we haven't seen the character in flashbacks, who perhaps may play a bigger role later on in the series. Maybe he rescues them or something.

The writers have confirmed Michael will be a different person when he comes back - so he could be despised by the rest of them.
    Why would Ben leave the island.

Michael being different could mean he tries to do some good, so maybe hes not despised but the opposite. Ben probably wouldnt leave the island, but that doesnt mean he isnt forced to or made to leave which would fit in with the person committing suicide thats supposed to be in the coffin as per the paper article if he didnt want to live a normal life away from the island or couldnt handle it. The coffin size definitely is small but it cant be a child in it as the report says its a male body of a man named John Lantham from New York (an alias we will have to assume). Unfortunately like i said i dont think we will know for a long time and with only a few episodes over the next few weeks it will be at least September, writers strike permitting.

Mr.S wrote: »
    its possible, but why would Jack be so upset/want to go the funeral so badly? him and micheal where never close, micheal betrayed them, and killed 2 people.

Because obviously Kate and Jack are off the island and Michael is possibly the only person who knew how to get back there, as you can see from Jacks distress at the end he wants to get back to the island bad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Re:Jack's eagerness to get back to the Island.

I wonder if it is because Jack realises that back on the island it is possible to influence time and hence change what happens - therefore the flashforward may not be set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MTG Ros

Don't think your right. Just remember Ben was born on the island. Again I would say Michael apart from the fact that he is supposed to be a regular from now on:confused:

MTG Ros wrote: »
    Don't think your right. Just remember Ben was born on the island. Again I would say Michael apart from the fact that he is supposed to be a regular from now on:confused:

Sorry but your wrong there Ben wasnt actually born on the island :)

He goes to the island with his father who gets recruited by Dharma. He later later kills his father (in the van Hurley gets working again) along with all the other members of the Dharma Employees when the original others enter the camp and kill them.

Also its a flash forward when they are at the funeral so the fact Michael is a regular doesnt have any effect on your own theory, we know that some people escape the island obviously Kate and Jack, possibly Michael but i still dont think hes the one in the coffin.

The newspaper article is a red herring imo. It's obviously a fake name, so the other info (son, from NY, etc) is probably fake as well.

Guys, we need to remember this is the future not the present. These characters and their relationships are going to change, we need to take that into account and anticipate it. Kate's reaction actually proves that it's not Michael in the coffin. Why? Because Michael is going to redeem himself (why else is he coming back?).

Ben makes sense because of his relationship with the Jack. They're connected because they are both leaders. If anyone could one day come to understand Ben it's Jack. Ben has made terrible choices but obviously so has Future-Jack. From one of the mobisodes:
    BEN: I promise you I won’t do anything to prevent you from getting home. But if you do leave this place, the day may come when you want to return.
    JACK: Never.
    BEN: I’ve learned never to say never. And if that day comes, I hope you remember this conversation.

Now the question is why would Ben leave? Well there's nothing to suggest he chooses to do so. In fact I don't think there is any "rescue". Does anyone really believe Jack would leave everyone else behind? So what happened? Maybe they were forcibly removed, maybe everyone else was killed, maybe Jack was over-ruled and a deal was made. Whatever the case if a new group takes over the island I don't think they'd want Ben around.

As for why Future-Jack wants to return to the island? Quite simple really, it's where he belongs. That's the ironic twist. We thought these characters were lost on the island but actually it was back in the real world that they were lost. The island is were they belong but only one of them (Locke) could see this from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Could be Michael, he left the island with Walt, but is confirmed for Season 4, maybe he knows a way back, which is what Jack wanted.

• Advertisement

Kanney wrote: »
    Could be Michael, he left the island with Walt, but is confirmed for Season 4, maybe he knows a way back, which is what Jack wanted.

Is this not something thats already been suggested at the start of the post,seems were are going round in circles. People please try read the other posts before posting that we we dont end up going round in a loop,lost is confusing enough already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Lads my head is going to explode. WHAT COFFIN. did I fall asleep for a few mins on monday nite or wat. I never saw any coffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 haff

lol, yep you definately fell asleep for a few minutes :o

AAAAHHH wat happened. Imissed the first min or 2 but surley all this didn't happen in 2 mins. Am i going mad or wat

deemy wrote: »
    AAAAHHH wat happened. Imissed the first min or 2 but surley all this didn't happen in 2 mins. Am i going mad or wat

it was last season, the episode with the flash forward showing jack with a beard trying to commit suicide etc.He goes to the funeral home where there is a coffin with someone inside, we dont know who it is. He later meets Kate and in a slurred drunken mess says "we have to go back!!!" :D

Ring any bells?

it was last season, the episode with the flash forward showing jack with a beard trying to commit suicide etc.He goes to the funeral home where there is a coffin with someone inside, we dont know who it is. He later meets Kate and in a slurred drunken mess says "we have to go back!!!" :D

Ring any bells?
    yes funeral home meeting kate at night somewhere in rain i think. I remember now thank you . sanity restored :o

Any new (read back over thread before posting) theorys on who is in it now after what has been seen in the last few episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Any new (read back over thread before posting) theorys on who is in it now after what has been seen in the last few episodes?

I said Michael originally and I still think it's him.

still dont think it can be him, i mean Micheal had a familly, a son, someone would have turned up - why would Jack be so affected by his death? He basically backstabbed them to get off the Island.

I think its Ben, he knows how to get to the Island, and Jack wants to go back, and once Ben is dead, he can never get back. It would explain why No one would turn up aswell, the losties hated Ben, Ben had no familly off the Island..

I originally said ben and im still sticking with that. I can see why people say Michael but i think thats the writers leading you down the garden path. In the same way Ben is supposed to have a man on the boat in the current episodes i dont think he means Michael either, it would be too obvious and as we know Lost is never obvious, i think this Minkowski is Bens Man. Ben knows how to get on and off the island, from the current episodes and flashbacks we know he has Sayid working for him, i think the coffin scene is after the flashback we saw with Sayid and that Ben had been trying to kill off the people of Dharma but they got to him and Jack now knows Dharma will get back to the island and find the remainging Losties. Hence he is so distraught and wants to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Or could be sawyer he has no family and possibly off the island.

damnyanks wrote: »
    Or could be sawyer he has no family and possibly off the island.

Coffin looks way to small to be Sawyer

while it would make sense, because Jack called kate asking if she had heard, but why would Jack be so affected by the death? and surley kate would at least turn up, they where fairly close on the Island..

of course, it could be someone we havent even met yet!

still, i think its Ben. or possibly Locke. (locke could learn how to get back to the Island, and Locke loves Lostie Island.) but Locke is tall, and the coffin is quite small. so..ITS BEN!

That assumes Locke got off the island which we dont know yet and i couldnt see that happen as he would want to stay. Im sticking with my original theories and saying Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have thought since the final episode last year that it was Sawyer in the coffin, but now I'm actually thinking it could be Claire.

Think about it. The article that Jack was reading mentioned a son, Aaron. There was nobody at the funeral, Claire's only known family (mother) are in Australia, hence might not even know about her surviving the crash or being off the island. OF the people she knew on the Island, you would think that someone would go to her funeral right? But we know there are only 6 publicly claiming to be surviving the crash. Jack, goes to the funeral. Kate, busy stealing babies. Aaron, a baby. Hurley, institutionalised. Sayid, killing people in the Seashells. There's also Ben, but he's in hiding and unlikely to attend Claire's funeral anyway.

We now know that Kate is playing mother to Aaron even before the funeral scene, but we don't know what's happened to Claire at this point. Perhaps she suffered some sort of accident, became paralysed or is in a coma. This could happen either before or after she gets off the island.

Another major clue is that Jack expected Kate to be at the funeral, and why not if Kate is looking after the dead woman's son? Also, Desmond told Charlie that Claire makes it off the island, he saw it (or saw her leaving) in a vision. So why can't Claire be the final Oceanic 6?

The coffin is small.

Claire is small.

Claire is in the coffin.

QED.

jor el wrote: »
    I have thought since the final episode last year that it was Sawyer in the coffin, but now I'm actually thinking it could be Claire.

Think about it. The article that Jack was reading mentioned a son, Aaron. There was nobody at the funeral, Claire's only known family (mother) are in Australia, hence might not even know about her surviving the crash or being off the island. OF the people she knew on the Island, you would think that someone would go to her funeral right? But we know there are only 6 publicly claiming to be surviving the crash. Jack, goes to the funeral. Kate, busy stealing babies. Aaron, a baby. Hurley, institutionalised. Sayid, killing people in the Seashells. There's also Ben, but he's in hiding and unlikely to attend Claire's funeral anyway.

We now know that Kate is playing mother to Aaron even before the funeral scene, but we don't know what's happened to Claire at this point. Perhaps she suffered some sort of accident, became paralysed or is in a coma. This could happen either before or after she gets off the island.

Another major clue is that Jack expected Kate to be at the funeral, and why not if Kate is looking after the dead woman's son? Also, Desmond told Charlie that Claire makes it off the island, he saw it (or saw her leaving) in a vision. So why can't Claire be the final Oceanic 6?

The coffin is small.

Claire is small.

Claire is in the coffin.

QED.

The article jack was reading states the person is male.

QED :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

That makes a lot of sense actually, (which probably means that it's wrong!), but good theory. +1

EDIT: Right, male, never mind...

• Advertisement

The article jack was reading states the person is male.

QED :D

That was a typo.

That was a typo.

No im saying the article in the paper says the person who died is male, so its unlikely to be Claire.

Obviously my superior wit is lost on you, Axwell. I was facetiously suggesting that there was a typo in Jack's newspaper.

Obviously my superior wit is lost on you, Axwell. I was facetiously suggesting that there was a typo in Jack's newspaper.

Apologies, its been a long day and i took it for what it said,the humour part just went straight over my head, sleep is needed before i can be back at your witty standard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

maybe its the dog

• Advertisement

Apologies, its been a long day and i took it for what it said,the humour part just went straight over my head, sleep is needed before i can be back at your witty standard :D

Sleep at half five in the afternoon? I hope you're on the early morning shift :D

I'm still going to stick with Claire though. It all fits, apart from the whole "male" thing, but maybe she had a sex change and that's why she had to give up Aaron?

It can't be Claire. The funeral director asks Jack if the deceased was a friend or relative and Jack says neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Could be Jin. Sun is pregnant and if she died somehow (long shot) Jin wouldn't have many relatives to go to a funeral in America.

Last season I was 100 percent convinced that it was Ben. He fit all the criteria. He was neither a friend nor a relative of Jack. Kate hated him. He had no one back in the real world to go to his funeral. He was the right height for the coffin. And he was complicated enough to believe that Jack might one day come to respect him.

But of course everyone said "no no Ben will never leave the island, it's Vincent, etc". Now we know that Ben does get off the island, although I wasn't expecting him to be as active in the real world as 4x03 revealed.

Tbh it could turn out to be anyone but right now Ben is the only person who really fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It can't be Claire. The funeral director asks Jack if the deceased was a friend or relative and Jack says neither.

I was convinced that Jack said 'Either', not 'Neither'.
    And even if he did say Neither, it doesn't really exclude Claire, though 'Both' would obviously have been a more accurate reply. But this is Lost where no-one really asks the proper questions or gives direct answers.

e.g., You'd think one of the Losties would have said to one of the Boaties by now 'Where are we?'

EDIT: None of this means I think its Claire, my money would be on Ben as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I was convinced that Jack said 'Either', not 'Neither'.
    And even if he did say Neither, it doesn't really exclude Claire, though 'Both' would obviously have been a more accurate reply. But this is Lost where no-one really asks the proper questions or gives direct answers.

i always thought he said 'either' too. but you're right, 'both' would have been the obvious reply. saying that though you never know.

i think it has to be Ben now, especially as he was seen off island in 4x03. no one else really makes sense.

re: questions that no one ever asks, this one is really killing me: how come no one ever asked each other did they remember the crash? like are we to assume everyone just went unconcious as the plane was breaking up and then woke up when they were on the island? does anyone remember falling through the sky and landing in the water/land/trees? :confused: this question seems to be forgotten about and it's arguably the biggest, and it's there right from the 1st episode. i really hope there is some sort of explanation for this by the end of the show.

Okay I still think it's most likely Ben but I've been thinking about this a bit more and what if it's Locke?

Initially I would have dismissed him as a candidate since I didn't think the writers would kill him in such a way. But what if dying isn't the end? The mythological hero's journey usually involves a death and rebirth (think Gandalf in the LOTR). The hero is then reborn stronger then ever.

Locke would never willingly leave the island but what if he was forced? What would he do back in the real world? He'd be miserable, right? Probably crippled and back in a wheel chair. I think this would a fascinatingly dark turn for John's story to take. And it would likely end with him trying to kill himself.

According to 4x08 the island won't let the Losties kill themselves. To me it almost seems like they're setting up this rule so it can broken. What if somehow Locke found away around this and committed suicide? What would the island do? It would have to "course correct" and bring Locke back.

I don't know, just another idea. I just think it would be an interesting twist.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think this: http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/2007/05/newspaper-through-looking-glass.html

Is where people are getting the idea it's Michael.

I would agree with them and I think the most recent episode points in this direction also. He went on the boat "to die" which suggests that once he's completed this mission the island will be done with him and let him die.

If the text in the link above is correct I think it's a foregone conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hold on a sec if it is one of the "oceanic 6" surly it would be major headline news and not just a small death notice in the paper, so it has to be someone who was not on-board the plane.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Michael isn't one of the Oceanic 6.

He changed his name when he came back and no one knows he was on the plane.

Walt isn't one either.

OP makes another good point for it to be Michael. Kate didn't want to go to his funeral. She obviously doesn't like Michael because A. he killed two of the survivors, and B. he sold them all out to get off the island.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement