Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffin figured out

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Okay I still think it's most likely Ben but I've been thinking about this a bit more and what if it's Locke?

Initially I would have dismissed him as a candidate since I didn't think the writers would kill him in such a way. But what if dying isn't the end? The mythological hero's journey usually involves a death and rebirth (think Gandalf in the LOTR). The hero is then reborn stronger then ever.

Locke would never willingly leave the island but what if he was forced? What would he do back in the real world? He'd be miserable, right? Probably crippled and back in a wheel chair. I think this would a fascinatingly dark turn for John's story to take. And it would likely end with him trying to kill himself.

According to 4x08 the island won't let the Losties kill themselves. To me it almost seems like they're setting up this rule so it can broken. What if somehow Locke found away around this and committed suicide? What would the island do? It would have to "course correct" and bring Locke back.

I don't know, just another idea. I just think it would be an interesting twist.

They said the island wouldn't let Mike kill himself it might let Locke kill himself cos it likes Locke.

I don't know. I still reckon Ben, Mike or Sawyer for the coffin. No-one else makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Surely if it was Michael at least his mother would have gone?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Provided she knew that it was him and was still alive I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Provided she knew that it was him and was still alive I suppose.
    Wasn't that her Walt was staying with in the "Meet Kevin Johnson?"
    So she knew he was alive under a false name anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I doubt it's Michael. The whole point of bringing him back was so he could redeem himself. If/when he dies it will be as a hero.

Whoever is in that coffin seemed to die under fairly miserable circumstances, alone, perhaps due to suicide. Or at least that's the impression I got in TTLG. Someone who had no one back in the real world to come to their funeral, even the O6. Last season Ben seemed the perfect fit but since 4x03 I'm not so sure anymore. He seems a bit too active in the real world.

For me the two biggest hints to the person's identity is:

1) Jack and Kate's reaction to learning they're dead (Jack is moved to suicide, Kate doesn't give a s**t).
    2) The fact that Jack considered them neither a friend nor a relative.

The only two people with whom Jack has had that kind of conflicted relationship with is Ben and Locke.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

MOH wrote: »
    Wasn't that her Walt was staying with in the "Meet Kevin Johnson?"
    So she knew he was alive under a false name anyway.
    Yeah but the funeral was approximately 3 to 4 years later, did we find out what his first fake name was in that last ep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Has anyone explored the possibility that the leaving island flashforwards are merely future projections of the protagonists fears. That was my initial reaction at the end of last season but since all the other flashforwards of the different characters and the repeated mention of the oceanic six I guess it's harder to support.

On the other hand why would Hurley say to Jack "I should've gone with you" in the "flash forward" when the two groups split? The second thing that is really hard to believe is that Sayid reverts to his previous torturer role.

On each characters road to self discovery, etc. if we take each characters life on the lost island as follows:

1. Adjustment to their present condition
    2. Making peace with their past
    3. Living in the present and creating new cause/ effects
    4. The new episodes. Coping with their future projection fears & hopes.

By the end of all these experiences we'll probably get balanced, mature people who can go to heaven if we accept this is a purgatory type environment. And there is interesting proof in the way the island responds to certain member, the noises, tree shakes, inner island conflict seems to bring the monster or people who do not come to terms with their past. Witness Mr. (What's his name from Africa), the man refused to feel remorse and the island squashed him.

Isn't it very possible that similar to Walt who had a comic book with a polar in it and a polar bear appeared on the island that Jack has created the world of the flash forward and that it will never come to pass?

On another matter altogether where are the survivors from the other side of the island who were kidnapped by Ben et al.? Probably taking it handy with the four toed people on another side working on their tans and knockin back a few Martini's with the indestructible Russian guy and the guy in the chair whilst sitting on columns of black smoke watching black and white tv's of the others in a bar that has Hurley's magic numbers as it's name with all their mates that have appeared through a magic door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Probably taking it handy with the four toed people on another side working on their tans and knockin back a few Martini's with the indestructible Russian guy and the guy in the chair whilst sitting on columns of black smoke watching black and white tv's of the others in a bar that has Hurley's magic numbers as it's name with all their mates that have appeared through a magic door!

:pac: Wow :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    On the other hand why would Hurley say to Jack "I should've gone with you" in the "flash forward" when the two groups split? The second thing that is really hard to believe is that Sayid reverts to his previous torturer role.

Hurley probably feels he made the wrong decision based on future events this season and that he should have stuck with Jack when the groups split and that he owes Jack an apology for doubting him or following Locke.

As for Sayid he doesnt return to being a torturer, hes a hit man for Ben. Obviously based on what happens in future episodes Sayid sides with Ben and is helping Ben to take out the people who work with Charles Widmore (possibly the new members of the Hanso Foundation) and who are trying to take over the island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i think its the black smoke in the coffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

brennaldo wrote: »
    That's deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

hurly had liposuction and its the fat from the operation in the coffin.........true story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I've figured it out... the person in the coffin is... Aaron :eek:

later in the next series Aaron will be sent back in time 20 years to work for Ben when he grows up, however he will meet Claire, not knowing her as his mother, in Australia, impregnate her and then cause a causality loop to form by being both his father and son at the same time. Knowing, from watching Back to the Future as a kid, that the child Aaron and the man Aaron can never meet, Ben instructs Sayid to hunt down the adult Aaron and kill him.

true story

i'm gonna stick with my hurly therory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I've figured it out... the person in the coffin is... Aaron :eek:

later in the next series Aaron will be sent back in time 20 years to work for Ben when he grows up, however he will meet Claire, not knowing her as his mother, in Australia, impregnate her and then cause a causality loop to form by being both his father and son at the same time. Knowing, from watching Back to the Future as a kid, that the child Aaron and the man Aaron can never meet, Ben instructs Sayid to hunt down the adult Aaron and kill him.

true story

no.....just just no........

thats just bad im sorry but ....no

the hurly one is the best it could happen

well this would explain why the funeral is in an african-american community cause its like ya know BLACK smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Locked as this will be too liable to spoilers, and not simple speculation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement