Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When all is said and done....

• 19-01-2008 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Today I decided to make a miserable day even worse by going for a stroll in the graveyard near my house. One grave in particular caught my attention, it was a woman that died fairly recently and it was marked by just a little plaque that had her name and when she died on it, nothing else. There was a filthy knocked over glass with old rotten flowers in it that were probably put there the day of her funeral and nobody's been near it since. Looking around at the other graves with fresh flowers etc it was kind of sad, this (I'm guessing) old woman, that seems to have been forgotten more or less as soon as she kicked the bucket.

It got me thinking, if I died tomorrow, what would remain of 'me'. Have I done anything worthwhile that I'll be remembered for? In years to come will people be telling stories about me back in 'the good old days'? Or would I be just like that woman in the graveyard.

I'd say I'd have a small to moderate funeral turn out, there'd be a few tears shed no doubt but I think that in the grand scheme of things, I probably wouldn't be missed that badly.

What about you? How has your life impacted others?

Yes, it's been a very fun filled day for me :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Jesus, heavy thread for a friday night.

I like to think there are a few people (bar close family) that would visit my grave and shed a few tears, but in 40yrs, who knows what will happen.
    If you live till nearly 100yr, you may have out-lived all your friends and family.
    I probably wouldn't be missed that badly.

Your not dead yet, so you can do something about it now, help a charity, join some clubs...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depends on a lot of factors - how much of a family you have, what age you die. I suppose the earlier a person dies, the more of an impact their death has. Any younger person's funeral I've been aware of has always been absolutely packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

people bearly acknowledge me when i'm alive, i'm sure i'd have a great following when i'm 6ft down. :p

you'll be dead, what difference will it make to you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Couldn't care less.
    I'll be dead.

• Advertisement

When all is said and done you just have to get on with things. Just because the grave was unkempt doesn't mean the woman was forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I actually took a stroll in Mt Jerome recently(yeh, was curious about the place :D), it made me think when looking at oldish graves,
    When all is said and done you just have to get on with things. Just because the grave was unkempt doesn't mean the woman was forgotten.
    Who'd remember you though, when you think about it, no-one looks after the old graves (pre 1920's) as no-one alilve knew th person. Its up to the grave authorities to look after them

Whats the point, who would put actually take care of your grave giving its well kept appeal in 100 yrs time when your presnt relatives would be dead and descendants(if you have any) wouldn't know who you are and give a sh1t??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd like to leave behind a book or something that people can look at in years to come and piss themselves laughing. Or do something really crazy that people will always remember for good reasons.

Hunter S. Thompsons books and funeral spring to mind. Total legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Theres never a good time to go up to the graveyard, they've never the time to talk, awful busy up there flat out all day long.

They put those little plaques there while they are waiting for the headstone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Simple really. Cremation FTW.

I don't want any damn monument left for me when I'm gone - burn me and scatter the ashes. This crap of visiting a grave just doesn't do it for me. I'll live on in memories - I don't want a ****ing headstone.

Sr. lsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hate the idea of graves because I dont like the idea of someone feeling compelled to visit it and i doubt they would anyway. scattered ashes for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There was an interesting article on something similar to this in the Sunday times or tribune a few months ago.
    It was about people who die, and they have literally no-one. They die completely alone, and no-one finds them till they smell. It was quite sad actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The graves of Jim Morrisson and Oscar Wilde are still visited by thousands of people every year.

If you wanna be remembered, get buried in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shoot up a school or something if it worries you that much. Seriously though, I can understand why you would care what people think of you, but there is only one way to make a difference.

Go out there and do something good with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think I'd have one friend that would actually care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I was recently talking to the local parish priest who said he once did a funeral for a woman in her 90s. Three people showed up for the funeral; her son, his wife and their child.

I won't be too worried though, I won't be knowing too much about it after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm expecting about four people to turn up, three to make sure I'm dead and one with a shovel to fill the hole. TBH I'm not sure all three of them will turn up and the shovel may well be a JCB. I'll be glad when it's over, I'm looking forward to the oblivion. If there is re-incarnation I'm going to make some poor bastard pay for making me go through all this shyte again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Worms with full bellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

bluewolf wrote: »
    you'll be dead, what difference will it make to you ;)
    Terry wrote: »
    Couldn't care less.
    I'll be dead.

I know it won't make a difference, but it's still interesting to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

hagar is making us pay already, check out some of his jokes over on the humour foroum, ( runs and ducks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

at times i would love to be gone just to ease the pain and frustration, lack of sleep takes it toll, cat naps are no good, just fukin tired and irritable

Advertisement