Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsonic .223

Options
  • 19-01-2008 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all. This might be a bit long-winded cos am new to the sport so please forgive any stupidities.

I'll begin:
    my dealer told me that moderating a .223 is pointless as it makes no discernible difference in dB's, and no sub-sonic .223 available in Ireland for full effect anyway. Fair enough, as as pretty much all rounds available(easily/locally) are supersonic anyway. Now after a quick google, there ARE sub-sonic .223 rounds available(imported) but it did get me thinking.....

Tis kind of a hand-loading question(sort of) but for arguments sake a 55g spitzer has a muzzle velocity of 3240fps. Now according to wiki, the speed of sound is 1130 fps, so roughly 1/3 the speed of the bullet in question. My question is could one(me), "modify" a bullet(calculating speed of sound vs relevent ballistic info) to make it sub-sonic? I mean like effectively I am keeping the same bullet, primer, case(padding with cotton on primer side according to shootersforum.com) and am just reducing the amount of charge. Obviously this will reduce POI but for arguments sake how worthwhile/feasible is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

it isnt really worth doing (if and when the handloading comes in)when you drop charge weight ,pressure everything else comes into play right down to the twist in your barrel,its great for the us guys they have everything to hand to expermeint with this sort of thing,
    steve bowers in england made a fully supressed subsonic .308 at one time a cpl of years ago but the bullet dropped like a stone because what was needed to keep it quiet.
    btw as for a supressed .223 your dealer is out of touch,ask anyone here who has it done,it doesn't completely silence it but it makes one hell of a difference and is well worth doing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.243 wrote: »
    it doesn't completely silence it but it makes one hell of a difference and is well worth doing .

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I think you may find this simpler http://www.lothar-walther.de/html/210.php

And safer as, by your own intro, you perhaps don't yet have a full knowledge of handloading. You should double check your reference from "shootersforum"; I think what you say regarding the placement of the filler in the case is the wrong way round, and potentially quite dangerous as quoted.

Or maybe better still just use a separate .22lr rifle when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've heard .223 being fired with and without suppressor and there's one hell of a difference. If you'd imagine a good hard frosty night out lamping it would be the difference between waking up the whole parish or causing no disturbance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Yeah thought he was a bit off the mark bout moderator but who was I to argue with him? maybe his .222 is harder to moderate? I used to use those barrel adaptors yrs ago in FCA for firing .22lr with an FN and twas s****e but in fairness twas a lot expecting the round to cycle the action when twas designed to be 7.62. stoppages galore! presume would be no problems with a b/a? how are they legality wise over here? like would I need a seperate license(like a sako quad, etc.) or seeing as I havent actually changed the barrel would I get away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hi all. This might be a bit long-winded cos am new to the sport so please forgive any stupidities.

I'll begin:
    my dealer told me that moderating a .223 is pointless as it makes no discernible difference in dB's, and no sub-sonic .223 available in Ireland for full effect anyway. Fair enough, as as pretty much all rounds available(easily/locally) are supersonic anyway. Now after a quick google, there ARE sub-sonic .223 rounds available(imported) but it did get me thinking.....

Tis kind of a hand-loading question(sort of) but for arguments sake a 55g spitzer has a muzzle velocity of 3240fps. Now according to wiki, the speed of sound is 1130 fps, so roughly 1/3 the speed of the bullet in question. My question is could one(me), "modify" a bullet(calculating speed of sound vs relevent ballistic info) to make it sub-sonic? I mean like effectively I am keeping the same bullet, primer, case(padding with cotton on primer side according to shootersforum.com) and am just reducing the amount of charge. Obviously this will reduce POI but for arguments sake how worthwhile/feasible is it?

its quite simple to handload 223 subsonic ammo -using 55 grain bullets and pistol powder-but you would probably be better served with a 22 lr.icon6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I regularly shoot my friends Tika T3 Tactical. He has a Tikka supplied mod on it and there is a big difference with and without. In laymans term the moderated Tikka comes in at the same level as my remmy 597 22 wmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Sandy22 wrote: »
    I think you may find this simpler http://www.lothar-walther.de/html/210.php

Anyone got one of these. Are they legal. Seems like a handy way of carrying two rifles in one (if you see what I mean). If you are out lamping fox's it would be handy for dropping the odd rabbit that bigger round might ruin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I regularly shoot my friends Tika T3 Tactical. He has a Tikka supplied mod on it and there is a big difference with and without. In laymans term the moderated Tikka comes in at the same level as my remmy 597 22 wmr.

What caliber is T3 Tac? I have one but the Tikka/Sako mod is bored of .308 so dosn't work as well as it should I reckon.

Rew

Its in 223 rem. Nice rifle very accurate, but it has a good bit of recoil, as with any gun at that level

• Advertisement

Is his mod Tikka or Sako, Is it a .223 bore?

He had to get it from Tikka and had to wait to get it brought in, from what I kow it's 223. I'l ring him tomorrow and ask the questions for you

Yeah that would be great, could you find out how much if possible?

thx

The moderator on the rifle is the one recommended by Tikka, he doesn't think it's made by Tikka just recommended. (it's shiny black, looks better on the rifle than a t8 would imo) It cost him €300. He belives that there is a moderator out there made by Tikka that will fit any caliber rifle they Make:confused: I asked him to check the bore of his mod with the barrell of the rifle, without a calipers he couldn't tell the difference, they looked the same.

He got it through Gerry Conlon in Riverstown

The sako one I have is shiny black and cost about the same but is definitly a .308 bore because its actully for the TRG AFAIK.

Advertisement