Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E220 external antenna

Options
  • 19-01-2008 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

There are a few articles on the web now about connecting an external antenna to the e220 USB device. See this article here - http://en.wikinerds.org/index.php/Hacking_the_Huawei_E220 .

My question is this.
    If I do open up the device, what sort of ariel should I get?, can I just connect a long cable to it and run that cable outside?

Many thansk for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Rather than breaking open the modem why don't you try the kit referred to in your link.

This one
    http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ADPT-024

The aeriel is outside and the little black box just sits on top of the modem (works best if you place it on the same way as in the pictures)

I bought this last week and while I have yet to get a chance to mount it on my chimney (it's just mounted to the patio heater right now so only about 4 feet off the ground), it has imporved my signal.
    I'm with Three and my house is just on the edge of coverage. Without the aeriel I could never connect inside the house - I could connect outside in the garden.
    With the aeriel sitting where it is at the moment it allows me to connect inside the house.
    I'm hoping when I get it mounted on the chimney it will improve another bit.

Total cost was €112 with shipping form South Africa taking a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gtynan

thanks I am aware of that device yea. I just think it's so expensive

My question though, is a technical one rather than an optional one.

What do I connect to the device?

a piece of wire? what kind of wire ?
    a piece of wire connected to an antenna ? what kind of antenna ?

Advertisement