Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robertstown, Co Kildare

Options
  • 19-01-2008 4:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello,

I am looking for any information on the village of Robertstown. I am contemplating buying a house there and would like to know if it is a nice place to live??
    Is it a friendly village and do the locals warm to outsiders?
    I know there are four pubs in the village which is a bonus but are they any good? It's a shame but one of them seems to be closed!!

Thanking you in advance
    GL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HisWife

Hi GL, well I live there so maybe I am biased!!! We bought here about 5 years ago and tbh would never move. We love it... the locals as you call them are mostly from Dublin/other parts of Kildare so don't worry about that. pub scene isn't what you would class as very cosmopolitan..but its a small village,it you are looking for nightlife..Naas is only a few miles away. Some beautiful walks around, along the canal etc, gaa,football, good school, post office, shop..no banklink though,prosperous is the closest for that. Any other questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My in-laws are all born & bred about 5th generation Robertstown folk.

I like it, it is an easy going place. The pubs are grand, and the Barge used to do good grub, but I have not been in a while.

I have not head of any cold shoulder treatment too the newbies. The local GAA teams are only to happy to welcome new members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wilder

Hi,

We are also considering moving to Robertstown, Kildare but I have to admit that we know absolutely nothing about it! Any comments? In particular, any ideas about the commute to Dublin? Is it as bad as I expect it will be?

Thanks.

What part of Dublin?

The two main routes into Dublin that are handy to Robertstown are the N4 & N7. Both are having the main junctions improved so that sould make the trip more painless.

Red Cow/Naas Road/South Dublin. Any idea of average commute at peak times?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Well if you go cross country and Join the N7 at Junction 7 (Kill) at 8am, it'll take you 40/45 minutes from there, so I would say you would have to leave Robertstown at 7:40am to be at the RCR at about 8:45am.

Thanks very much for your help.

Would you have any idea about the evening commute back to Robertstown?

wilder wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your help.

Would you have any idea about the evening commute back to Robertstown?

Going back is handy.

I travel from the Nangor road back to near Sallins in about 35 mins in the evening (taking exit 7 off the N7), you are about another 15 minutes from there, so about 50mins 90% of the time.

Thanks for that. That's considerably better than I expected.

Many thanks for all the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 katesmuir

I see everyone is travelling by road. How do I get to Robertstown from Dublin by public transport? Where do I stay? Kildare Tourism send me a hotel in Leixlip, when I enquired they did not know where Robertstown was and asked for the nearest town!!!
    My ancestors (Freynes) came from Robertstown in the 80's, perhaps the gentleman with 5 generations of in-laws could give me some info.
    Thanks, Kate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 dkelly

There is a bus service from Dublin not that frequent

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202394373-123.pdf

and if your looking for somewhere to stay locally then this is only main option apart from B&B's

http://www.robertstownholidayvillage.com/

If not I'd suggest you stay in Clane or Naas

Thank you DKelly for information. I hope to visit in the summer. Can anyone tell me are old buildings still standing there. There are so many entries on the net regarding new property and I am anxious to look at the history of the town, particularly pre1880's before my family left for Liverpool.
    Are there still any Franeys there? I see from the Church Records that the name is spelt Freyne. I would be grateful for any genealogical or historical information.
    Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

katesmuir wrote: »
    I see everyone is travelling by road. How do I get to Robertstown from Dublin by public transport? Where do I stay? Kildare Tourism send me a hotel in Leixlip, when I enquired they did not know where Robertstown was and asked for the nearest town!!!
    My ancestors (Freynes) came from Robertstown in the 80's, perhaps the gentleman with 5 generations of in-laws could give me some info.
    Thanks, Kate

It easy to get Robertstown, from Liexlip, head into Celbridge, then continue on to clane , Prosperous ,continue on till you come to a pub called Dag Wells , were there is cross roads, take the next turn to the left after the cross roads you'll go over a small bridge , tun left and the road will take you straight in Robertstown.

Also as for a Hotel the closest i know is www.westgrovehotel.com/ is located in Clane

Also the 120/123 buses go straight from Clane in to Robertstown

thanks for all the info. Looked at hotel at Clane and I look forward to going there.:)

Prospect, you say your in-laws are fifth generation Robertstown. Could you please ask them if they know of any Freyne's, past or present. I am desparate for information.

Advertisement