Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband. Is it crap?

Options
  • 19-01-2008 7:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Recently got hooked up with smart 5meg broadband. The connection keeps going off. Whats your experience of Smart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Ronan3345 wrote: »
    Recently got hooked up with smart 5meg broadband. The connection keeps going off. Whats your experience of Smart.
    2 or 3 years on it now and no issues at all. Even when Eircom cut them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i think there the best ISP out there.
    Give them a call!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Post here, and include your phone number on the profile section (not the post itself) and they'll check your line stats and if needed apply alternate profiles to your line.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Best value of any provider I've been with here.
    Solid connection, fast speeds, no cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Smart is a top company with top support.:)

I am on a 5MB packet and got some disconnections as well, but for me it is only a couple of seconds, no big deal for me.....
    Their forum support is No 1......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Another very satisfied Smart customer here. I'm only on the 3 meg package and seem to remember that it took a few days for the connection to stabilize. Will probably going to upgrade to the 6 meg package for the higher upload as I got a yoke for watching my Sky+ box over the net - on special at Maplin at the moment (€167). Ideally I'd prefer to just upgrade my upload speed for less money but according to Ejay (employee) on the Smart forum this is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Been with Smart for two years+, have never had any problems even when Eircom were disconnecting people it never affected me.

Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your line is faulty or not good enough for 5Mbit. Smart rent the wire off eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I'm in the process of porting from UTV to Smart ... can't wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Another fully satisfied smart customer here best provider in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

sioda wrote: »
    Another fully satisfied smart customer here best provider in the country

Ill 2nd this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ill 2nd this!

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Smart telecom is the best broadband company in Ireland.

I just wish they took over eircom and provided broadband for the whole of Ireland.

There is no competition too smart if you can get them in your area.

Any problems with the line is completely eircoms fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well I'm going to join the cheer-leading squad here and say I wouldn't do business with most of the other so-called BB providers. Smart were the ONLY company that could provide me with BB on my DIRE EIRCON provided phone-line about 3 years ago.

Their support people (not on the phone, on the forums) are some of the sharper cookies around and managed to stop my line constantly dropping connection by putting it on to a remedial profile which at least gives me a reliable 2mb connection. The thought of trying to explain the problem to some phone jockey with a script from Eircon (or equivalent Eircon reseller) just doesn't bear thinking about.. Of course that probably applies to smarts phone jockies too mind you.

I'd recommend getting the forum support to check the line stats and dropping your line speed to something that the copper will support. The main thing to remember is that if the copper is poor that is not Smarts fault. They don't own it and are beholden to Eircon to get any improvements in that regard.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Best broadband provider I've ever been with.

With them several years and have never had a problem., fast speeds, no downtime and good customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Another very happy Smart broadband customer here. Never a moment's trouble, rock solid for the last 2+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

i must try this smart broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I have Smart and they are fab.

Fast, always on, works really well, I'm very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Smart Broadband are an excellent company with them almost 2 years with no problems. Always get the full 6MB.

Good support on the support site as mentioned by a previous poster.

Try logging onto the support site, create an account with your phone no in the profile and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've had the opportunity to do a direct comparison of smart vs eircom - I live in a semi and my neighbour's eircom wireless signal is as good as mine. I've found Eircom to be very laggy compared to Smart - it takes a lot longer for the page to even begin to load. Might have something to do with contention?? Also don't forget that smart have no download cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

As it's been said here a few times - they are the best in the country.

Been with them for more than 2 years, and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

+1 for that. I have NTL BB myself but some of the family have smart and it's the best out there by a longshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

well I was with smart for 2 years plus years, before I moved away. Best provider I have ever been with. Talk to the tech support and sort it out with them. Wish i could get the same level of service here in slovenia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I have had smart in for the last 3 years or so without problems, but for the last week they have been changing things on peoples connections without notification resulting in unstable/slow broadband. Its still not resolved and I will probably move to another provider soon if its not sorted.

Im not the only btw.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I have had smart in for the last 3 years or so without problems, but for the last week they have been changing things on peoples connections without notification resulting in unstable/slow broadband. Its still not resolved and I will probably move to another provider soon if its not sorted.

Im not the only btw.

I have been with them from the start and have to say have never had a bit of trouble with the conn, excellent connection,but then my copper is pretty damn good, Even had the pleasure of testing it at full whack for a while and have to say 7mb seems so sloooooooooooow now :D

As of yet I haven't experienced any of the problems you mention above but will stick with them none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Im not the only btw.

Get real, man. You are thinking of leaving Smart with only a WEEK of problems. Do you read Boards Broadband forum AT ALL? What provider are you going to move to? Unless it's Digiweb or Magnet, you are going to have more than a week of troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A very happy smart customer here, also. I had a problem with the modem when I first got it, rang support, got straight through. After some troubleshooting they said they would replace the modem. The new one arrived next day, since then the only problems have been with my hardware, not the line. Even when Eircom cut all those customers off, I stayed up, but they upgraded my line to 6MB for three months to apologise for any downtime I may of experienced.

Cant recommend them enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

There are other providers with better calls/broadband packages, I just wrote that out of frustration! I was using Smarts support forum btw.All sorted now, thanks to the lads on there. :D

IrishTLR wrote: »
    Get real, man. You are thinking of leaving Smart with only a WEEK of problems. Do you read Boards Broadband forum AT ALL? What provider are you going to move to? Unless it's Digiweb or Magnet, you are going to have more than a week of troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Had Smart for nearly 3 years at the old gaff, and nearly cried when I found out that it wasn't available at the new place.

The new eircom (no other option) is OK, but it's nearly twice what I was paying before and it's slower even before the contention kicks in in the evening.... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement