Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connect to Wireless Broadband Antenna

• 19-01-2008 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

In order to get line of sight for a wirelss broadband antenna, I have to put it on a building some 300 metres away. I understand that the longest run of cat 5e is 100 metres. I also understand I could deflect the signal closer to where I want it.

If I wanted to bring the signal from the antenna using some fiber optic cable, please advise how to go about it, materials and estimated cost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Can you give a more detailed picture of what you want to do? How many buildings, whats in between them, what is it for ie voice, video, data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 futureisbright

Internet is for domestic use. Hopefully will be able to use VOIP. Initially thinking of the 2 Meg downstream package.
    I'm looking at getting Metro Broadband from Digiweb. I understand a modem must be connected within 30 metres of the antenna and the ethernet cable is then connected to the modem
    The house is surrounded by tall trees so mounting antenna there wont work. There is a large shed about 300 metres away and the antenna could be mounted on that with the modem inside the shed.
    The crux then is getting signal from the modem in shed to house.
    Running cable between the shed and house is no problem - there's already a duct in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

What I would do is to connect a wireless router to the modem and set up a wifi link with the house, I have done this over much longer distances than 300 meters.

The house is old with very thick walls. Downstairs is semi-basement.
    What type of wireless router would do the trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

you would need a wireless bridge at the house end with an external antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Internet is for domestic use. Hopefully will be able to use VOIP. Initially thinking of the 2 Meg downstream package.
    I'm looking at getting Metro Broadband from Digiweb. I understand a modem must be connected within 30 metres of the antenna and the ethernet cable is then connected to the modem
    The house is surrounded by tall trees so mounting antenna there wont work. There is a large shed about 300 metres away and the antenna could be mounted on that with the modem inside the shed.
    The crux then is getting signal from the modem in shed to house.
    Running cable between the shed and house is no problem - there's already a duct in place

If the shed is powered from the house circuit you could use a pair of Homeplug-type devices or since there is a duct there already you could pull a cable and use a pair of VDSL modems .

The digiweb box has a port on the back for a phone , so do the vdsl modems , so they would probably be the better choice .

bushy... wrote: »
    If the shed is powered from the house circuit you could use a pair of Homeplug-type devices or since there is a duct there already you could pull a cable and use a pair of VDSL modems .

The digiweb box has a port on the back for a phone , so do the vdsl modems , so they would probably be the better choice .

The shed is on a different circuit.

Could you elaborate on the VDSL modems?
    Are they expensive? Where can they be purchased?
    If I can run cat 5e cable through duct, does this obviate need for VDSL modems?
    Is 300 metre continuous length of cat 5e too long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

10/100 ethernet is only spec'd to work for 100m on cat5e. You won't get much more than that out of it.

I'm not familiar with vdsl tech, but I imagine what bushy is suggesting might cost quite a bit and would be overkill for this. I'd say your best bet is a wifi solution of some sort.

In my original post, I was concerned about the 100 metre issue with cat 5e and enquired if fiber optic cable would overcome the distance.

Notwithstanding the wireless solution may ultimately be the best outcome, I'd appreciate some information on what would be involved with using fibre optic cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

About 100e-ish each for a pair of modems that will work back to back , you just need 2 core cable between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

bushy... wrote: »
    About 100e-ish each for a pair of modems that will work back to back , you just need 2 core cable between them.

How far could you go with back to back VDSL bushy? they reckon the highest speed will only work over 300m but what's the dropoff rate like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Go with the vdsl as Bushy suggests....(master and slave)..If I remember right depending on the cable you can get over a couple of Km using them.. with full 100mbs speed.(edit:for your distance ).(Just like another port on the lan)

Advertisement