Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand xbox 360 worth it?

Options
  • 19-01-2008 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Thinking of buying an xbox360 and saw in the shop they have second hand and new ones. Dont know which to get. Is there any dangers in buying a second hand one or no difference at all?
    And also I've heard some horror stories about three red dots on the computer or something? whats all that about? more likely to happen with 2nd hand one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Giruilla wrote: »
    Hey,

And also I've heard some horror stories about three red dots on the computer or something? whats all that about? more likely to happen with 2nd hand one?

Yep, some of the older ones are prone to red dots on screen. Happens even more with the second hand ones.

Get yourself a PS3 instead, far better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

KTRIC wrote: »
    Yep, some of the older ones are prone to red dots on screen. Happens even more with the second hand ones.

Expensive as f*ck though! Plus doesnt have halo 3....

Don't suppose you know why those red dots happen? is it after certain amount of playing time or something? plus can you just bring it back to the shop if it happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m176244

PS3 fan boy alert :D doesnt even know what hes talking about there called the red rings of death - basicly complete hardware failure of the console,aslong as u buy it from a retailer game gamestop etc theres nothing to worry about because you get the standard warranty and if u ever get the ring of death your covered for 3 years :) although the newer models had some changes to them to help prevent over heating,either way just keep the console flat with room for ventillation.

m176244 wrote: »
    PS3 fan boy alert :D doesnt even know what hes talking about there called the red rings of death - basicly complete hardware failure of the console,aslong as u buy it from a retailer game gamestop etc theres nothing to worry about because you get the standard warranty and if u ever get the ring of death your covered for 3 years :) although the newer models had some changes to them to help prevent over heating,either way just keep the console flat with room for ventillation.

Cool thanks! so a second hand one would be alright then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saying that you should get a PS3 cause you might get a bad 2nd hand 360 is not exacltly good advice. I got mine 2nd had from Adverts.ie and it has worked perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

If he is considering getting a 2nd hand xbox does it sound like he has the money for a ps3 ?

hi I was thinking of going over to the park for a bit with the kids ........... advice ..nah it might rain take them to disneyland for two weeks instead .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Arn't quite a few PS3s having optical disc drive failures and wont read any discs lately?

Nick

Actually tbh, was looking again there and there doesn't seem to be that much of a price difference between second hand and new anyway strangely enough! only bout 20 or 30 quid. I suppose PS3's aren't that much more expensive but so many people have xbox360's it seems like theres more opportunity to play mates on-line. hmm just thought of another question, if i got a ps3 could i play mates on-line in pro evo if they were to have it on the xbox? does it work like that or does it have to be same consoles?

Giruilla wrote: »
    Actually tbh, was looking again there and there doesn't seem to be that much of a price difference between second hand and new anyway strangely enough! only bout 20 or 30 quid. I suppose PS3's aren't that much more expensive but so many people have xbox360's it seems like theres more opportunity to play mates on-line. hmm just thought of another question, if i got a ps3 could i play mates on-line in pro evo if they were to have it on the xbox? does it work like that or does it have to be same consoles?
    No, you can only play online with other users of that platform, so ps3vsps3, 360vs360 etc...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m176244

Yup there would be no problem with a second hand xbox 360 although look for a good deal xbox 2 controllers 2 games etc,Xtravision had a good deal - a new xbox360 with 2 wireless controllers and halo 3 for €360,i'm not sure if there still running that bundle but no harm to chance your arm and ask,then just buy pre-owned games or reduced games,I bought that bundle,medal of honour airborne,forza 2 and 2 rechargeable battery packs with usb chargers for a total of €420.

Thats a pretty good deal considering a ps3 could cost upwards of €500+.

Only bad thing about the 360 is no built in wifi but you can buy an adapter to make it wireless or just use an ethernet cable and smaller HDD then the ps3 but if you have windows vista or a media center pc then you can stream all music/tv/videos to your xbox.

But be honest though its a game console and thats what its main use is, to play games like Halo,Gears of War and COD4.

Also I know the xbox doesn't have a built in HD Dvd drive or Blu Ray drive like the ps3 has and it looks ever likely that blu ray is the next gen player it doesn't matter as Microsoft has said if blu ray coms out on top they'll just build an external blu ray drive just like they did with the hd dvd's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

m176244 wrote: »

In fairness to KTRIC he had the worst run of luck with the Xbox360. I have both PS3 & 360 and while I undoubtedly use my 360 a lot more I can't deny that the PS3 is now good value for money. You can pick one up for €400 easily now.

In saying all that the 360 wins hands down in terms of gaming for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What silly advice.

-"Does anyone know where I can buy some nice oranges?"
    -"You should get some apples"

Can someone confirm that when you buy a second hand xbox360 you get a full warranty (i.e 3 years for red rings) from the day that you bought it ? How much are the second hand ones ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got mine for €300 about 6-7 months ago, and i got the original receipt, so i have the full warranty from when it was originally bought. Dont think its from when i bought it. Got mine of adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tusky wrote: »
    What silly advice.

-"Does anyone know where I can buy some nice oranges?"
    -"You should get some apples"

Can someone confirm that when you buy a second hand xbox360 you get a full warranty (i.e 3 years for red rings) from the day that you bought it ? How much are the second hand ones ?

Bah, rumbled again :rolleyes:

I do know what I'm talking about. Just joking about the red lights :D

If anyone wants to see my service history from my 10 Xbox360's your welcome to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tusky wrote: »

When you buy a second hand 360 you will get either the warrenty that the shop supplies, or 3 years from when the console was originally bought(if you can prove that).

Red dots on screen, funny. Red rings of death are caused by overheating, a problem with the thermal design of the 360. Tbh, whatever guy was in charge of that aspect of the design must have been wasted all the time.

Red, Blue [insert color here] dots appearing on the screen would be due to graphics card overheating, I've seen this effects quite a bit before with Nvidia, ATI GPUs

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

And how much are second hand 360s in Game/Gamestop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Chances of getting a second-hand 360 with 65nm chip are pretty low, I'd go for a new one to be safe.

And just for the record, PC > PS3 = Xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

If you buy a 2nd hand Xbox from a retailer, you'll have a 2 year warranty from the retailer as per consumer law, so if anything does go wrong with it they're obliged to provide a repair, refund or replacement.

As for the 3 year RRoD warranty Microsoft offer, there's no xbox out there thats over 3 years old so you're covered even if buying via private sale.

My advice buying a 2nd hand xbox would be buy from a retailer if you get a good deal and if from a private sale, MS have to cover any default if the unit is less then 2 years old.

If buying from a private sale, ask the seller the serial number before parting cash.
    With the serial number you can call Xbox support and they'll tell you the warranty status.

Advertisement