Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest BB providers in Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 19-01-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Looking for a good provider to get a 2MB connection, DSL if I need be but I don't really fancy the waiting because th line isn't active in my apartment.

Perlico BB looks cheap and I've heard good things about them (well, sod all bad things must be good).

Is NTL cable available around here? Maybe ICE (had them before in Ratoath - they were good).

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

best options in Dunshaughlin are the BT/UTV/Eircom Broadband dsl

Ice arent covered in Dunshaughlin, Digiweb are but can be patchy depending on your line of sight.

Theres no cable in Dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Interesting, I heard Digiweb were cat so I won't be going with them.

Are UTV any good? Good pings, overall performance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UTV's pings are ment to be ok, pings are better again on either BT Ireland or Eircom. Im on Eircom in Dunshaughlin and my pings are grand as well. You should get something similar to these:

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 7ms

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

TBH in Dunshaughlin I wouldnt touch wireless with a bargepole as theres no decent wireless operator here, your much better off going with dsl especially if your going to be gaming.

Well thats great, very nice pings indeed (I had wireless before, 50ft from the mast and I got 60ms pings).

How about Perlico, they seem reasonable too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

been using digiweb in ratoath for about 3 yrs now...great service!:)highly recommend!

the thing is,you may need to take a note of the broadband ratio,you need to check out if people using which company's broadband,then you can decide if you wanna share the speed with them(guarantee you get the service) or get a different broadband provider (higher speed of course but no guarantee on the line).that's why different people from different places say different stuffs on broadband providers,

• Advertisement

digiweb is meant to be very patchy in Dunshaughlin tho depending on signal strength/line of sight, I know a few people who had it and they got rid of it after a year as the signal kept dying on them, often down for a few days at a time. Now there all back on dsl which works great all over Dunshaughlin as long as your phoneline is not a split line.

Brilliant, thanks for the information lads... much appreciated.

What should I do about my phone line though? It's not even active or on with a phone number...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Gonzo wrote: »
    digiweb is meant to be very patchy in Dunshaughlin tho depending on signal strength/line of sight, I know a few people who had it and they got rid of it after a year as the signal kept dying on them, often down for a few days at a time. Now there all back on dsl which works great all over Dunshaughlin as long as your phoneline is not a split line.

sorry to kinda hijack your thread OP, but gonzo have you heard anything from Smart about them rolling out their service here? The MAN is finished afaik and arn't smart supposed to be supplying DCC for the Microsoft programme?

Advertisement