Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Cordoba

• 19-01-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭

Currently drive a Mondeo 1.8 Zetec petrol ( 125BHP)
    Was looking to come up a few years to around 06 and notice they are around 19k with bigger mileage than my own one.
    Came across he Cordoba on Carzone last night and am wondering what you guys make of them?
    i can get the 1.4 TD Sport for around the same money as a 06 Mondeo.
    Would I be dissapointed in quality/performance if I bought one?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd be dissapointed. Nothing wrong with Mondeos and putting age aside for a minute, it sounds like a step backwards to me.

If you have a low mileage Mondeo, you're probably better off keeping it because a) no newer cars are cheap anyway. b) your're obviously doing low mileage so have no need to change regularly.

If you want to change, get an '05 with low mileage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭vectra

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'd be dissapointed. Nothing wrong with Mondeos and putting age aside for a minute, it sounds like a step backwards to me.

If you have a low mileage Mondeo, you're probably better off keeping it because a) no newer cars are cheap anyway. b) your're obviously doing low mileage so have no need to change regularly.

If you want to change, get an '05 with low mileage

Yeah,
    I only do around 5k P.A.
    M one is 02 with 44k on it.
    Just thought The Cordoba being new and diesel that maybe I would hold until July and get the cheap tax etc. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Mondeo is a much bigger car than the Cordoba, and the engines in the Cordoba would be a lot smaller, so there would be a big loss in power(though the 1.4 TDI is a great little engine if it's sister car the VW Polo is anything to go by).

Mondeos are great cars, if the one you have is staying reliable there is not a lot of reason to change it IMO.

vectra wrote: »
    Yeah,
    I only do around 5k P.A.
    M one is 02 with 44k on it.
    Just thought The Cordoba being new and diesel that maybe I would hold until July and get the cheap tax etc. :confused:

This time, being so close to the VRT changes I'd still keep it. Spending the extra on buying a diesel now will be a totally false economy. Thusfar, to buy a diesel and do 5k a year would have been very foolish- you would never get the extra purchase price back.

For petrols, things will change in July but I suspect not that quickly or dramatically. The VRT will work to put buying/ owning both diesels and petrols on an even keel from now on for people doing moderate mileage becasue right now, unless you're doing 15k+, it's a false economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Cordoba is actually just an Ibiza with a boot so it is in fact 2 car sizes down on your current Mondeo. You got to ask yourself could you live with a smaller car?

The Cordoba is not a popular car here simply because it is a small saloon being sold in a hatchback dominated market segment. Hatchbacks in that market are more practical than a saloon will every be.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Cordoba is actually just an Ibiza with a boot so it is in fact 2 car sizes down on your current Mondeo. You got to ask yourself could you live with a smaller car?

The Cordoba is not a popular car here simply because it is a small saloon being sold in a hatchback dominated market segment. Hatchbacks in that market are more practical than a saloon will every be.

Well,
    I dont work ( Cant :()
    I have only
    1 wife
    1 child
    and one schoolbag to go in the boot
    so small would be fine once it wouldnt be a slouch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

If the OP didnt mind dropping the car size then i think the Ibiza is a better choice, nicer car in the looks department and id imagine easier to sell when the time come too.

HJL wrote: »
    If the OP didnt mind dropping the car size then i think the Ibiza is a better choice, nicer car in the looks department and id imagine easier to sell when the time come too.

Would the boot not be smaller in the hatch ?
    My son does some RC Racing and I have quite a bit of gear to carry around for him so need plenty of boot space for that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would the boot not be smaller in the hatch ?
    My son does some RC Racing and I have quite a bit of gear to carry around for him so need plenty of boot space for that ;)

The boot would be shorter on the hatchback but access to it would be better than that of the saloon.

Maybe a Skoda Octavia would be the best of both worlds. The boot is huge as posted on here many times.

Maybe a Skoda Octavia would be the best of both worlds. The boot is huge as posted on here many times.

I agree but the wife hates them :(
    Maybe trade her in with the car and get an octavia VRS :D

• Advertisement

If you live up there in Fermoy, wouldn't you have reason to be travelling around a bit. Cordoba is essentially a city car and there's no way I'd give up a larger comfortable car costing very little.

If you live up there in Fermoy, wouldn't you have reason to be travelling around a bit. Cordoba is essentially a city car and there's no way I'd give up a larger comfortable car costing very little.
    Tru,
    But like I said
    I dont work anymore due to back problems.
    So
    I dont really do long runs

Wouldn't a larger car be better for someone with back problems??

If you're determined to get a Cordoba and really just want opinions, I think the general concensus will be a resounding Sensible but 'Meh...' unless Cordoba owners get involved in which case they become the best thing since the sliced pan...

Wouldn't a larger car be better for someone with back problems??

Not really.
    Prior to this I had a Primera..Opel Vectra ( several ) Opel Ascona ..The List goes on.

Mondeo was by far the best.
    cantdecide wrote:
    If you're determined to get a Cordoba and really just want opinions,

Not determined as thought it may seem..But I just want to knock out the negatives on this to make sure I go the right direction.
    Main reason I want to change is
    1) Come up in the years.
    2) enjoy a lower road tax and more economy.

Dont get me wrong.BUT
    I would much prefer a new mondeo over anything else but funds just wont allow :o

Not really.
    Prior to this I had a Primera..Opel Vectra ( several ) Opel Ascona ..The List goes on.

Mondeo was by far the best.

Not determined as thought it may seem..But I just want to knock out the negatives on this to make sure I go the right direction.
    Main reason I want to change is
    1) Come up in the years.
    2) enjoy a lower road tax and more economy.

Dont get me wrong.BUT
    I would much prefer a new mondeo over anything else but funds just wont allow :o

I know where you're coming from but 'coming up in years' is a bit of an old chestnut- especially if it means downgrading. You can't depreciation-proof your car unless you want to eventually end up trading for a brand new bicycle.

Depreciation is the over-riding financial factor in motoring in Ireland, more often than not, all other expense (including road tax) is just shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic. Keeping your own car is the only way of beating the system, especially if they're doing low mileage. The most economical thing to do is keep it.

Too many people spend fortunes to save a little cost IMO and the value of retaining the best car you've had and having a superior car to the micro-saloon must surely be worth something??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Was going to start a new topic but this seems a good a place as any...

I'm a 17 Year old male with my provisional license and currently doing driving lessons.

I'm getting a Seat Cordoba some time next month as my aunty is getting a new car and handing her old one on to me, every insurance quote I've gotten is over €3,500 and I simply can't afford that, so I'm just wondering does anyone know a way to lower that price?

I know Hibernian have an ignition course but you have to hold a full license for that? Can i get one of my parents to get insured on the car and then get me added on to their policy, or is that allowed if the already have cars of their own? Will insurance companies lower their prices after doing a certain amount of lessons?

Btw the car is a 1.4, 1996.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

€3500 seems very sfiff there leejo, especially for a modest car, have you tried everyone for a quote. I worked with a guy who had a 17yr old son who got insurance on his own for less than 2k on provisional.

The oldest stunt obviously is to do as you say- parent has policy, parent gets new policy on another car with another company, parent insures child on new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

have you tried everyone for a quote.

The oldest stunt obviously is to do as you say- parent has policy, parent gets new policy on another car with another company, parent insures child on new cars.

Yup, axa had the best price.

Do the insurance company ask the parent about existing insurance, and if they do have a different policy will they insure them on a second car as the main driver? Or do they have to lie and say they don't already have a car? 'Cos i think lieing to the insurance company is a no go with them....

Advertisement