Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League live - Today FM

• 19-01-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

One of the best radio programmes, in my opinion. However the one major flaw it has is: it is not on Sunday's. Another thing I noticed, when I tuned in to listen was the Christmas programme was scrapped! It wasn't on Boxing Day or New Year's at all! So i've come to the conclusion either 1) they are losing popularity or 2) Michael couldn't be arsed to do it.

If the latter is true another Today FM sports reporter eg Ross Lindsay should present it.

Back to my original point, they really need a Sunday programme, which is when all the big matches are on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They can't have one cos Newstalk have the rights to Sunday Prem games in Ireland, suprised you aren't aware of that! They cover 2 games straight from bbc feed.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

mike65 wrote: »
    They can't have one cos Newstalk have the rights to Sunday Prem games in Ireland, suprised you aren't aware of that! They cover 2 games straight from bbc feed.

Mike.

Cheers, sound! Do they also do Saturdays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Wait til you hear the Premiership Live lads on Today FM having to PLUG the following day's coverage on Newstalk!!! :D

New policy since Denis O Brien has bought Today FM.

War is not the word my friends.

Was'nt aware of that! lol.

IRISHSPORTSGUY, no Newstalk only have Sundays.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

mike65 wrote: »
    They cover 2 games straight from bbc feed.
    Mike.
    Sorry to be pedantic, Mike, but only the second match (4.05 K.O.) is a BBC 5Live feed. The earlier one is a feed from the syndicated Premier League Radio.

• Advertisement

:grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr: :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Anyone know why the program is prelaced with 2 hours of music on their live feed from the TodayFM website?

Licensing issue or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Anyone know why the program is prelaced with 2 hours of music on their live feed from the TodayFM website?

Licensing issue or something?

Exactly.You can't listen to it over the internet but because it can only be on the fm live transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

One of the best radio programmes, in my opinion. However the one major flaw it has is: it is not on Sunday's. Another thing I noticed, when I tuned in to listen was the Christmas programme was scrapped! It wasn't on Boxing Day or New Year's at all! So i've come to the conclusion either 1) they are losing popularity or 2) Michael couldn't be arsed to do it.

If the latter is true another Today FM sports reporter eg Ross Lindsay should present it.

Back to my original point, they really need a Sunday programme, which is when all the big matches are on.

It was on St. Stephens day;), it is a great show they use their own commentators which newstalk don't and on saturday there is more games on so more to talk about, i listened to a bit of newstalk yesterday and it was dreadful no live sport at all just waffle and talk and dont talk to me about their 'phone in' show, today fm had live premier league and rte had racing and live rugby.

Badabing wrote: »
    ...it is a great show they use their own commentators which newstalk don't...
    I find 5Live's commentary on Newstalk better than Today FM's. Great to hear it on FM in the car too. Can't beat Alan Green!

• Advertisement

Shamrok wrote: »
    I find 5Live's commentary on Newstalk better than Today FM's. Great to hear it on FM in the car too. Can't beat Alan Green!

Yeah he is very good:)only thing tho from newstalks point of view is the constant promotion of the bbc! and with today fm you feel part of their coverage plus their very quick when other goals go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Shamrok wrote: »

Greeny is God. End of.

But surprised you don't like Today FM's commentary, as its normally the excellent Ron Jones, who is ex-5 Live. But Tom Tyrrell isn't great.

Newstalk definitly have to tidy up thier timings, all too often they return from the half-time break after the action has restarted. Then they insist on breaking away for some GAA news or something, hate that.

Mike.

DMC wrote: »
    But surprised you don't like Today FM's commentary, as its normally the excellent Ron Jones, who is ex-5 Live. But Tom Tyrrell isn't great.
    Yes, Jones is a legend but not as sharp as he used to be. I detest Tyrrell and his ManU ass-kissing. Tony Gubba used to do the odd one on it. I must admit I dislike Mick Martin as an analyst too - but then again 5Live tend to have the ubiquitous Lawro :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

it was newstalk who had the rights for both stephens day and new years day but they didt bother to do a show. Im sure if Michael McMullen couldnt present it one of the other reporters would also im pretty sure its not just McMullen who puts the show together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That show would be close on perfect if it wasn't for Michael McMullen's horrible stuckpup nasally D4 hoity-toity up-his-own-arse self-loving voice.

... and I like the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Bard wrote: »
    That show would be close on perfect if it wasn't for Michael McMullen's horrible stuckpup nasally D4 hoity-toity up-his-own-arse self-loving voice.

... and I like the guy.

I hate the way he says 'Arsenal'.

"Our-snell".:rolleyes:

I hate the way he says his own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Bard wrote: »
    I hate the way he says his own name.

:D Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

"I'mmmmmmmmmmmm Michoool Mc Mullunnnnnnnnnnn."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭norm

I'm sure i heard somewhere that he was from Finglas. Must have got some stick as a nipper if thats the case. ( not slating, Finglas by the way. From not too far from there and currently residing there.) Great programme though.

Big Balls wrote: »
    "I'mmmmmmmmmmmm Michoool Mc Mullunnnnnnnnnnn."

More like "MoYYYYYYYYYyyykle Mc MuLLLLLLLLLLLen" to be honest :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Apparently he 's from the same place as LLoyd Groooosseman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tallspoon wrote: »
    Apparently he 's from the same place as LLoyd Groooosseman ;)

It's funny because it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

when he does the sports news on the half hour during the last word he has this odd way of telling you when the next bulliten is. "Headlines.... at six" or somesuch, but he says it in a very worried manner, like something horrible is going to occur..... odd.

Its still the best sports show at the weekend but:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

He has his own idiosyncratic pronunciation of "Newcastle United" too. I won't attempt a phonetic mangling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

its easily the best sports show on radio, as much as is possible home produced and doesnt sound completely amateurish like newstalk. Has any one else in Today Fm's sports department ever presented it besides Michael McMullen?

when he does the sports news on the half hour during the last word he has this odd way of telling you when the next bulliten is. "Headlines.... at six" or somesuch, but he says it in a very worried manner, like something horrible is going to occur..... odd.

Maybe its to get you sub-consciously thinking "Jesus, what's going to happen?... I'd better tune in to that!"...

or maybe he's just got an awful awful voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

its a terrible show,great for the commentary but the phone-in is ridiculous just like newstalk's.The scourge of modern football.A couple of fellas watching the match on setanta in the local, then decide to annoy not just the lads around them but the nation with some half pissed ****e about time for fergie to go,or steven gerrard or ireland.
    Nearly as bad as talksport,if i want half drunk inane ramblings ill join my mates at the bar but not having to listen to it on the radio aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

raven136 wrote: »
    Nearly as bad as talksport,if i want half drunk inane ramblings ill join my mates at the bar but not having to listen to it on the radio aswell.

You're so right.Sometimes I think they ring up just to confuse Ian Danter with Rodri Williams

Advertisement