Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Last date for shipping from Japan for current VRT?

Options
  • 19-01-2008 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what would be the last date I could ship a car from Japan to have it here in time for the current VRT system, I was thinking 2 months beforhand would be time enough so end of April start of May, does this sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't know the answer. Do not cut it too fine though - a right sickener if you got caught for new VRT rates and new road tax!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »
    a right sickener if you got caught for new VRT rates and new road tax!

And a car that's worthless too in this country, unless it is a really high end performance vehicle

I suppose the car could still stay in the port, not be registered here and shipped straight to the UK or the North...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    I suppose the car could still stay in the port, not be registered here and shipped straight to the UK or the North...
    Isn't there something about all Jap imports into the UK come via Ireland, something to do with importing into the UK from outside the EU not being allowed.

I remember a friend telling me years ago about seeing a ship load of cars coming into Dublin port and being registered on the ship with 00 ZZ xxxxx regs before the ship hit off for the UK.

Dunno if it's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JHMEG wrote: »
    Isn't there something about all Jap imports into the UK come via Ireland, something to do with importing into the UK from outside the EU not being allowed.

I remember a friend telling me years ago about seeing a ship load of cars coming into Dublin port and being registered on the ship with 00 ZZ xxxxx regs before the ship hit off for the UK.

Dunno if it's still the case.

That was knocked on the head years ago. They used to have to drive off the boat and back on. Then they just entered Irish waters and now they can go straight in. I think HMC where loosing too much money on duty to us.

Advertisement