Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick question about NCT

• 19-01-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just a quick (hopefully straight forward) question.

Herself is after purchasing a car (00 fiesta), but it was an english one and she is the first person to ahve it registered in Eire. She got it from a garage who said that they would do the NCT one sold as it needs to be registered in Eire first. It's booked for the 5th, and she has the car. Grand.

But, can she tax the car without an NCT? I went to tax my fathers (tomjob) van recently online, but it wouldn't let me cuz it said i needed an NCT. But, checking motortax.ie it says nothing of the sort. I also know, from taxing my own car, that it seems to require a valid NCT.

Is this the case with first-time registered import cars?

Any help would do, as she's mad to get on the road, but can't until she has tax at least!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

But, can she tax the car without an NCT....I went to tax my fathers van recently online....needed an NCT....she's mad to get on the road, but can't until she has tax at least

She can drive without tax as longs as she has bought it in the last week or two. Any guard will tell her drive on if she can say honestly she's just bought it.

Vans MUST HAVE a DOE (commercial NCT) it's far more imortant to get your van tested.

If she's the first owner of the car, the last 6 or 8 numbers of the VIN number is used as the PIN for the first road tax on motortax.ie and she can tax the car witout NCT, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cheers cantdecide, thats brilliant! Off to tax the car now then!

Advertisement