Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerfield estate to the Blanch centre - why no pedestrian route through the wall??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Godge wrote: »
    ...From Summerfield the options to get to the centre are walk for 20-25 minutes through a badly-lit Coolmine Woods or down past the credit union where someone was shot last year, hop the wall or drive. Strolling up to a gate, unlocking with your key and walking to the centre in 5 minutes would be a much preferable option. Unfortunately, I am in the minority.

So theres no problem with a gate and antisocial behaviour. Thats just paranoid. But you want a gate to save you from being shoot.

I see ...

Are the Garda aware their police station is in a no go area due to shootings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

The consultation consisted of two guys going around knocking on doors looking for people to sign a petition against a gap in the wall. They were not too happy when I refused to sign it.

The attitude to the wall reflects the attitude of Irish people to property in general. It is my castle and I will build my walls around it to protect me from the others. My precious home.

From Summerfield the options to get to the centre are walk for 20-25 minutes through a badly-lit Coolmine Woods or down past the credit union where someone was shot last year, hop the wall or drive. Strolling up to a gate, unlocking with your key and walking to the centre in 5 minutes would be a much preferable option. Unfortunately, I am in the minority.
    BostonB wrote: »
    So theres no problem with a gate and antisocial behaviour. Thats just paranoid. But you want a gate to save you from being shoot.

I see ...

Where was paranoia mentioned?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I see ...

Well done, you fell for it. Neither of us should be paranoid about things. Believing that a gate will result in an increase in anti-social behaviour is a form of paranoia. Believing that walking past the Credit Union will get me shot is another.

We should both throw out our cloaks of paranoia and agree to put in the most convenient way of getting to the Centre - a gate in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Well done, you fell for it. Neither of us should be paranoid about things. Believing that a gate will result in an increase in anti-social behaviour is a form of paranoia. Believing that walking past the Credit Union will get me shot is another.

We should both throw out our cloaks of paranoia and agree to put in the most convenient way of getting to the Centre - a gate in the wall.

Sorry but that is a litigate concern for people living in the area and would receive serious consideration in a planning applications

Also the local Garda may also have am issue it, for a police stand point.

But what could veto the gate access, is Fingal CO CO roads department. Non resident parking in the estate and using that gate especially during the busy Christmas shopping period and the associate traffic problem on the roselawn/ clonsilla road.

Also increased traffic/parking in the estate will risk emergency serves access to the smaller roads in the estate

Of course thats what you meant :rolleyes: lol.

I wouldn't call people robbing and littering with trolleys, and climbing walls and cars at 3am, social. Thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I wouldn't call people robbing and littering with trolleys, and climbing walls and cars at 3am, social. Thats just me.

Jebus!

:confused: Well I don't know about anybody else but I'm completely confused whether you are for or against the gate in the wall.

You've lost me completely.

:confused:

You and me both.

Its been said there's no antisocial activity, yet they post examples of antisocial activity. Also the wall doesn't stop access. But they want a hole it it because there's no access.

My point is simply. None of the above makes any sense. Therefore its not going to convince anyone especially residents. If you want to prove there's no issue with gates (that includes parking, safety, antisocial activity crimes etc) and get access accepted by the local residents, prove it with a study on how none of these increased or deceased in other similar (busy shopping center and nightclub fast food, cinema, leisure center, access) situations, by opening or closing access.

Similarly if you opened it as a trial it should be easy to generate stats to see does it increase in this location too.

None of this, meaning-less ranting drivel about, how people can't walk 30 mins from a night club after being dancing and partying for a few hours. Or people will cycle to the sc if theres no safe place to lock a bike. I mean don't know. But there been no hard facts or stats in this thread about anything. So I'm on the fence unless someone can prove otherwise.

Well a hole in the wall would certainly stop the littering with trolleys and the climbing walls at 3am.

It's just so frustrating. The wall currently causes the most inconvenience to ordinary decent citizens who just want to walk or cycle to the centre in the most direct timely route :(

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

So now you want access in the wall because it doesn't stop people. :)

Clap... clap.. clap. Very amusing. Did you forget now that my issue is my parents who aren't in the prime of their lives anymore so cannot be asked to climb a wall to not have an extra half hour walking?

That goes for anyone with a disability, older people, women with skirts, small children, prams, kids late back from lunchbreak in their Coolmine CC uniforms etc. But your typical burglar, no bother, leg over and gone.

The wall is an irony. It screws everyone but the people that some local residents imagine are coming at them. How does it keep anyone safe? Its like the Wolf in the road runner cartoon holding up a tiny brollie when a boulder is about to fall on him. :pac:

I was in Spain on my hols. I heard there was a whole bunch of people shot there in 1936 during a civil war. Would I sound paranoid if I said I'm not going back and Im suing the travel agent for the costs of the flights and all.

• Advertisement

I was in Spain on my hols. I heard there was a whole bunch of people shot there in 1936 during a civil war. Would I sound paranoid if I said I'm not going back and Im suing the travel agent for the costs of the flights and all.

Ahem...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5940975/Majorca-bomb-attack-Spain-is-safe-insists-tourist-authority.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/08/10/us-spain-bomb-tourism-idUSTRE5792Z520090810

http://www.mapreport.com/citysubtopics/spain-c-o.html

...your typical burglar, no bother, leg over and gone....

Maybe you're right. I was under the impression perhaps incorrectly, that rather than go to that effort, that most burglaries and thefts, cars etc, are simply opportunistic, and thus opportunities come with the increase is pedestrian traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

right. . . . putting a gate in the wall would be a result for the residents of summer field ,simply just keys can be given to who ever needs them

people who do not have a key will still jump the wall, bring trolleys to use etc

theres no way around it

A V A wrote: »
    right. . . . putting a gate in the wall would be a result for the residents of summer field ,simply just keys can be given to who ever needs them

people who do not have a key will still jump the wall, bring trolleys to use etc

theres no way around it

Why all this talk of gates and keys etc?

Residents need to realise while they own their house they don't own their estate.

As a resident id prefer people walking sanely through a hole in the wall of my estate rather than jumping over it like I don't know what!

amdublin wrote: »
    Because for some reason there are people out there who want to ensconse themselves in "their estate" with only "their neighbours" in it. No strangers or other people. Other people out! out! Out! Out!

dam right i want the estate i live in ,to be "my estate" and "my neighborhood". that is my home ,where i live, the place i have a bought a home to feel safe in and have my things in the garden or out side my garden to be safe and respected ,and id want it for others!
    i understand that everywhere you go or live ,that you'l always have people passing through ,but i think the whole in the wall would work if it wasnt for light/heaven , i remeber me as a kid with my best mates being out on the green where the lawn and the rise is , staying and playing football on it till like 12 or 1 in the morning when we were on holidays etc . it was that safe ,the wall was barely used but it just got worse because of that nightclub!!!
    Oh Jesus I HATE seeing that bloody trolley!!

And I alway feel sorry for those school kids from Coolmine using it onntheir lunch break. That's some size wall!?

they just dont know have to use their their arms and legs ,it makes me laugh. they drag themselves and struggle with the feet, thats what wrecking their cloths , the wall isnt destroying their cloths its them :D

Why all this talk of gates and keys etc?

Residents need to realise while they own their house they don't own their estate.

As a resident id prefer people walking sanely through a hole in the wall of my estate rather than jumping over it like I don't know what!

i know we dont own the estate but i own property on that estate which gives every right to protect it as one, and that goes for everyone else ,

Its all a bit pointless really. You'd need a majority of residents to vote to change it. That doesn't look likely. So this really is just a venting thread tbh.

i know we dont own the estate but i own property on that estate which gives every right to protect it as one, and that goes for everyone else ,

?????

Next you'll be telling us that you have the right to shoot a burglar on your property.

?????

Next you'll be telling us that you have the right to shoot a burglar on your property.

nah but i do have the right to proctect my self and family ;);););):D

nah but i do have the right to proctect my self and family ;);););):D

Again, I say: ??????

You honestly feel the need to "protect" yourself against someone walking or cycling through your estate?

Really???

• Advertisement

Its all a bit pointless really. You'd need a majority of residents to vote to change it. That doesn't look likely. So this really is just a venting thread tbh.

So does that mean that you are done talking, other than making irrelevant comparisons to alleyways and reminding us of the human rights of people who decide never to travel anywhere without a car.

Seriously! A lot of people have made interesting points I would say mainly for making the area better for walking, but some other points too. Isnt it the height of disrespect for you to wave your hand in a couple of posts and say there is no evidence supporting a pedestrian only gate and that we are all just "venting"?

Is it? What my parents say is that 15-20 people in the residents assoc are dead set against this and will hammer on doors and get aggressive if you say you dont want to sign their petition? If you dont like people offering the other view dont bother reading.

Again, I say: ??????

You honestly feel the need to "protect" yourself against someone walking or cycling through your estate?

Really???

god dam right i do, you dont know people out there ,and especially with drink on them!!!!
    even people walking just walking, you dont know weather they are just passing or up to something else

god dam right i do, you dont know people out there ,and especially with drink on them!!!!
    even people walking just walking, you dont know weather they are just passing or up to something else

Are you trolling?

So does that mean that you are done talking, other than making irrelevant comparisons to alleyways and reminding us of the human rights of people who decide never to travel anywhere without a car.

Seriously! A lot of people have made interesting points I would say mainly for making the area better for walking, but some other points too. Isnt it the height of disrespect for you to wave your hand in a couple of posts and say there is no evidence supporting a pedestrian only gate and that we are all just "venting"?

Please don't make stuff up that I didn't say, and then not back it up with a quote when challenged. Thanks.

AFAIK when I've used the term alleyways or walkway, or gates I'm making a general point about the problem of access. Its not about the unique problems caused by the physical characteristics of an alley or walkway. All access points have common features, advantages and disadvantages though, and that's what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yeah, imagine someone with drink on them and a reason to start a fight.
    dam right i want the estate i live in ,to be "my estate" and "my neighborhood". that is my home ,where i live, the place i have a bought a home to feel safe in and have my things in the garden or out side my garden to be safe and respected ,and id want it for others!

Someone overzealously defending their property for example?

Are you trolling?

no im not, im just stating the obvious of what kind of people out there

look listen ,im 22 ,iv seen alot more things happen and what kind of people that can come from light nightclub and over that wall and what kind of stuff they get up to!!!! i know of idiots even from my year from school that have wrecked summer field coming out of that place!!!im stating the truth on that one

people kicking over wheely bins full of rubbish all over the ground ,messing while passing through the estate , nicking peoples bike etc , and i know thats not everyone doing it thats passing through but ihave seen it done on more than 10 occasions ,id rather it stay ok rather then getting progressively worse with the whol ein the wall,

no im not, im just stating the obvious of what kind of people out there

Ah jaysis will you quit with the frickin dramatics we live in Blanch not the bloody Bronx.

Yeah, imagine someone with drink on them and a reason to start a fight.

Someone overzealously defending their property for example?

eh no , listen, you live beside that wall for 14 years and have things done to your property and things you own and lets see how much of it you can take!!!!! iv have every right to be "overzealously" on defending my property!!

my mothers wing mirrors kicked off her car,other things aswell, best friends car keyed, windows broken on thier cars on numerous occasion(including the back window)

• Advertisement

Ah jaysis will you quit with the frickin dramatics we live in Blanch not the bloody Bronx.

alryt yea grand :) you keep thinking that anywhere in blanchardstown is safe, and especially a place thats beside a night club :);)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement