Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerfield estate to the Blanch centre - why no pedestrian route through the wall??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A V A wrote: »
    my mothers wing mirrors kicked off her car,other things aswell, best friends car keyed, windows broken on thier cars on numerous occasion(including the back window)

Jebus "wholy" Christ!

Even without the "whole" in the wall they are still getting into your estate :eek: what are you gonna do about it AVA?!
    You gotta fight. For the right. To defend.

Over in Heaven all those bad people drinking are like:
    You gotta fight. For the right. To paaaartaaaaaaay!

Whoa! Who sounds worse here? The overzealous paranoid defender of the estate or the big bad drinking person.

Tbh AVA your posts all make sense now that you've given your age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

amdublin wrote: »
    Jebus "wholy" Christ!

Even without the "whole" in the wall they are still getting into your estate :eek: what are you gonna do about AVA?!
    You gotta fight. For the right. To defend.

Over in Heaven all those bad people drinking are like:
    You gotta fight. For the right. To paaaartaaaaaaay!

Whoa! Who sounds worse here? The overzealous paranoid defender of the estate or the big bad drinking person.

Tbh AVA your posts all make sense now that you've given your age.

eh excuse my age has nothing to do with this here , im stating my point of view , sure i take it that you live in the meadows or somewhere thats not fully effected by that wall !!!! you just want the whole in the wall , so you dont have to walk the full way around to the centre ,i can tell by your posts that you dont live near where people hop that wall !!! lets face it, you've had nothing bad done to your property like most people on the lawn or rise , we a F*Cking fed up off!!!
    by the way ,3 home owners have already done something about it including mine, caught people keying our cars and taking our wingmirrors off, and ill tell you this, we will keep going !!! dont bring age into it because the other two house holds have kids etc and are in their 40's , and they are sick of it aswell;)
    from your posts ;) . . .a golden oldie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭44thservice

im with ava on this one a 100%, and i can see where the chap is coming from ,regardless of this discussion nothing is going to be done with this situation. getting the walk way through the wall will do nogood to the estate with rubbish and traffic congestion aswell with people parking in the estate.maybe people wont park in the estate at the start but they will cop on to it. as well theres enough cars in summerfield as it it.
    as regards to damages ,i was talkin to a man and a women that has had their car smashed and broken into etc etc , they have had to defend their property a few times in the middle of the night, the guards were called but they arrived 40 minutes or around abouts that time or so!
    i know they are still going to come over that wall regardless of weather there is a controlled gate system but,its bad enough that people's property are being damaged ,if a gate was their in the day ,rubbish, traffic and parked cars will add to it.bins and that can be put in but iv seen young lads throw rubbish on the ground with a bin ten yards from where they are. maybe cars will be parked up in the green and wreck the grass.
    a part of me wants the gate but the other part doesnt want it.you cannot say ava is being harsh or "dramatic" .
    im having problems with the area and its progressively getting worse ,from what iv been reading on this dublin 15 charter ,instances are accruing more often

eh excuse my age has nothing to do with this here , im stating my point of view , sure i take it that you live in the meadows or somewhere thats not fully effected by that wall !!!! you just want the whole in the wall , so you dont have to walk the full way around to the centre ,i can tell by your posts that you dont live near where people hop that wall !!! lets face it, you've had nothing bad done to your property like most people on the lawn or rise , we a F*Cking fed up off!!!
    by the way ,3 home owners have already done something about it including mine, caught people keying our cars and taking our wingmirrors off, and ill tell you this, we will keep going !!! dont bring age into it because the other two house holds have kids etc and are in their 40's , and they are sick of it aswell;)

My point is that all the stuff you have listed above is happening anyway.....even without the hole in wall.

So your argument that you don't want the hole because of that reason is moot.

I live in the area too.

Ps. Sorry now! I am not normally a grammar or spelling nazi on boards but this is really annoying me:
    Hole in the wall is spelt "hole". NOT "whole" as you are spelling it.
    Sorry :o

Ava - I didn't know there were apartments in Summerfield?

• Advertisement

you may live in that area but you dont live in the path where the people who hop that wall walk through!!!
    apartments at the start of the estate , well notice-able.dont see what they have to do with it :)
    no its not "moot" ,this "hole" in the wall will add to things ,thats my point , we do not need anymore problems on top of what already happening

you may live in that area but you dont live in the path where the people who hop that wall walk through!!!
    apartments at the start of the estate , well notice-able.dont see what they have to do with it :)
    no its not "moot" ,this "hole" in the wall will add to things ,thats my point , we do not need anymore problems on top of what already happening

So do you live at the start of the estate or beside the wall :confused:

So do you live at the start of the estate or beside the wall :confused:

have you not been reading my posts !!!!!

Yes I have been reading your posts and I am completely Confused and don't know what to believe to be honest. Are you telling the truth at all or are you just in this thread to throll?
    OP- iv lived in summerfield all my life im 20 now and ill tell you that having a whole in that wall will create much more problems for that community in that estate , and heaven wouldnt help either,people taking short cuts to tesco, abrehkebabra etc!!

look listen ,im 22 ,iv seen alot more things happen and what kind of people that can come from light nightclub and over that wall and what kind of stuff they get up to!!!!
    moved into my new apartement decided to make something :p first time out on my own at 19 ,liking the cooking

So if you're in an apartment then you're not beside the wall :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

BostonB wrote: »
    Please don't make stuff up that I didn't say, and then not back it up with a quote when challenged. Thanks.

AFAIK when I've used the term alleyways or walkway, or gates I'm making a general point about the problem of access. Its not about the unique problems caused by the physical characteristics of an alley or walkway. All access points have common features, advantages and disadvantages though, and that's what I'm talking about.

Are you having a laff?

My point was that you OT into laneways as being the same thing as an opening in a wall set well away from the houses. Then you DEMAND a quote when I am stuck between which of 10 times you did it? Look back at your own posts.

Then you go right ahead and say that laneways and walkways all present the same "problem". Can I just use that as proof.

A walkway would be a far safer access than a laneway because it would be bright and visible and would have a lot of people using it.

• Advertisement

im with ava on this one a 100%, and i can see where the chap is coming from ,regardless of this discussion nothing is going to be done with this situation. getting the walk way through the wall will do nogood to the estate with rubbish and traffic congestion aswell with people parking in the estate.maybe people wont park in the estate at the start but they will cop on to it. as well theres enough cars in summerfield as it it.
    as regards to damages ,i was talkin to a man and a women that has had their car smashed and broken into etc etc , they have had to defend their property a few times in the middle of the night, the guards were called but they arrived 40 minutes or around abouts that time or so!
    i know they are still going to come over that wall regardless of weather there is a controlled gate system but,its bad enough that people's property are being damaged ,if a gate was their in the day ,rubbish, traffic and parked cars will add to it.bins and that can be put in but iv seen young lads throw rubbish on the ground with a bin ten yards from where they are. maybe cars will be parked up in the green and wreck the grass.
    a part of me wants the gate but the other part doesnt want it.you cannot say ava is being harsh or "dramatic" .
    im having problems with the area and its progressively getting worse ,from what iv been reading on this dublin 15 charter ,instances are accruing more often

My parents live in there and I grew up there and none of the things you say happen with regularity. This makes me think you are both exagerating.

I dont know where the idea of litter is brought into this.

I also cant see why parking would be a problem, the only time that parking is maxxed out at the centre would be Christmas. If there are enough cars in there "as it is" there won't be space for more so they will soon give up. But I cannot see anyone driving their car all the way around to Clonsilla Road to be able to do that having driven all the way around the centre and given up on good parking. So thats exaggeration.

Because anyone that you claim is going to harm the estate can climb over anyway, surely you see the lack of an access as not worstening the situation.

Yes I have been reading your posts and I am completely Confused and don't know what to believe to be honest. Are you telling the truth at all or are you just in this thread to throll?

So if you're in an apartment then you're not beside the wall :confused:

hold on a minute ,i didnt know we could start playing detective ;):)

i did indeed move out into an apartment for the reasons you dont know off :) and that apartment isnt in blanch and i have 2 jobs ,ones in town and one is in blanch , i spend half and half in both :) there you go

My parents live in there and I grew up there and none of the things you say happen with regularity. This makes me think you are both exagerating.

tbh i dont think he is

i live pretty close to that wall ,right on the path where they walk after getting over that wall ,and iv seen stupid pointless sh*t being done by twats ,p*ssing in doors ways ,walking over cars ,(again) kicking wing mirrors off cars

let me put this straight i think the hole in the wall would bring more problems ,as someone that live's in the path of where they all jump , i do not want any more trouble, and things wrecked, untill you have had stuff done to your property you dont know what its like so you guys cant say anything ,to you the idea of the hole is great , and say that you havent seen any of the things im explaining , mainly cause you guys are getting the blunt of it!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are you having a laff?

My point was that you OT into laneways as being the same thing as an opening in a wall set well away from the houses. Then you DEMAND a quote when I am stuck between which of 10 times you did it? Look back at your own posts.

Then you go right ahead and say that laneways and walkways all present the same "problem". Can I just use that as proof.

A walkway would be a far safer access than a laneway because it would be bright and visible and would have a lot of people using it.

Nope. I didn't even use the term laneway in my last comment. I didn't say there was only one problem either.

But its interesting you raise the point that any access point would have a safety issue. I merely thought it would be theft and nuisance, but you make it sound like it could be potentially worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janja93

Just been wondering about this, why do you blame all this vandalism on the wall, surely it's the same wherever you are in a suburban area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

tbh i dont think he is

i live pretty close to that wall ,right on the path where they walk after getting over that wall ,and iv seen stupid pointless sh*t being done by twats ,p*ssing in doors ways ,walking over cars ,(again) kicking wing mirrors off cars

let me put this straight i think the hole in the wall would bring more problems ,as someone that live's in the path of where they all jump , i do not want any more trouble, and things wrecked, untill you have had stuff done to your property you dont know what its like so you guys cant say anything ,to you the idea of the hole is great , and say that you havent seen any of the things im explaining , mainly cause you guys are getting the blunt of it!!!!!!

Maybe these things are happening because the people are all spending a few mins in the vicinity of the wall. They take a bit of time to help each other over the wall after the nighclub and then they have to wait until all their gang are over the wall before they can proceed.

If they were able to walk smartly and quickly through a gate and continue their journey onwards maybe what you are outlining above wouldn't happen.

Can't you see the wall isn't stopping antisocial behaviour? Indeed it is increasing it - you now have people dumping trolleys at the wall to help them hop over.

The only people the wall is stopping having any quality of life are decent pedestrians or cyclists who just want to use it for normal things like passing through as a corridor to where they are going. Can you make any consideration for people like Luttrel's elderly parents? - These people are not going to break wing mirrors off cars and in actual fact if there was more traffic of people in the area there would be likely be a reduction in this type of crime.

Can you not understand that by barricading yourself in to your estate you are not solving any problems or controlling any situations?

That implies that busier areas have less crime than quieter areas. Seems a bit unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Don't know what age you are but you sound like an angry young immature man. You actually make me more nervous about walking around Summerfield which I like to do, even up and down the dead ends rather than walking up and down outside Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

This is scary stuff.

Seems like we should be fearful of some Summerfield residents :(

Nope. I didn't even use the term laneway in my last comment. I didn't say there was only one problem either.

But its interesting you raise the point that any access point would have a safety issue. I merely thought it would be theft and nuisance, but you make it sound like it could be potentially worse than that.

Ehhhm, :confused: so apart from again proving my point about you liking the bit of red herring,... there COULD be a safety issue with an alleyway OR laneway being a dark and unseen place. There WOULDNT be an issue with a path and gateway because it is the OPPOSITE. A gateway is seen well from both sides and all approaches. A pathway channels everyone toward the gate. MORE respectible citizens like the folks use it and make it even safer. Happy days.

Please don't twist my words, I said there was a safety issue with a laneway/alleway not a walkway. Keep telling yourself they are the same thing, but denying when I point it out to you.

• Advertisement

That implies that busier areas have less crime than quieter areas. Seems a bit unlikely.

Wrong again. Read any police website anywhere in the world. You are safest when you stick to busier streets with more walkers. You are in danger when you walk into "quieter" areas where nobody is there to spot a perp, help you or block an assailant.

Question: how would a gateway and a nice well lit pathway up to it "make it worse" for summerfield.

I am addressing this question to the people claiming they live there.

This question isnt properly answered yet.

Except I didn't say they where the same thing, I said access points had features in common. Which isn't the same thing at all. I was talking about crime, not danger. You don't seem to see there's a difference.

But I can see why you didn't get much of a response to getting access if you idea of promoting it is to talk of safety issues, danger, aggressive behavior, assaults and assailants. Talking about it will associate it with the other. The biggest resistance to openings, (apparently) is fear of crime. (experience comes after its opened) you fuel that with your scare mongering.

Godge wrote: »
    Don't know what age you are but you sound like an angry young immature man. You actually make me more nervous about walking around Summerfield which I like to do, even up and down the dead ends rather than walking up and down outside Heaven.
    This is scary stuff.

Seems like we should be fearful of some Summerfield residents :(

people call me dramatic???

if only you knew who i was ,i know an awfull lot of people in that estate , a good few familys aswell, i am in no way a nasty person if anything i look out for people more than i do myself!! me and my friends that have grown up in summerfield are known around the rise and the lawn by being nice n lookin after the little ones etc so on. i wave at my neighbours passing by and chat to them when they walk by , me being friendly and nice, things only got bad when things got worse in the estate!!!
    i know people are still going to get over the wall and anti social behaviour will continue , but from my opinion i say this hole in the wall will add to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Did he use a ladder or an upturned trolley? :P

Nah, no need for ladders or upturned trollys. There is damage to the wall that makes it easier for people to get over it onto the Sungboro Rd (see picture). The damage is due to people getting over the wall. There was a steady stream of people using the short cut when I was there. Dunno if that was just because it was a Saturday.

Heading back there to do more interviews and questionnaires. If you're around and want me to call, just let me know. I'd love to speak to you. :D

Nah, no need for ladders or upturned trollys. There is damage to the wall that makes it easier for people to get over it onto the Sungboro Rd (see picture). The damage is due to people getting over the wall. There was a steady stream of people using the short cut when I was there. Dunno if that was just because it was a Saturday.

Heading back there to do more interviews and questionnaires. If you're around and want me to call, just let me know. I'd love to speak to you. :D

Lovely pic :cool:

Wow obviously much nicer than a hole in the wall!

The trolley is on the other side of the wall ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I knew I should have closed this thread when it arose from the grave a few weeks ago!:rolleyes:

All of you need to read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164383 before diving in again.

Try to give your reasons for/against opening up the wall in question in a clear and reasonable manner without snide remarks at other posters.
    Remember this is just a discussion not a duel - there wont be any winners.

Are any of you around this evening between 7pm and 8pm to meet and chat about the Summerfield issue? If so, send me a DM and we'll make arrangements.

By the way, many thanks to all of you on here who have made contact and were open to discuss the Summerfield issue.

Hope to talk to you later. ;)

Will you update with your finished study?

• Advertisement

Will you update with your finished study?

Absolutely. If I get a decent level of response from Summerfield and it is enough to generate enough information to allow me do a decent analysis of the situation, I would be happy to share it once I have it fully written up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement