Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerfield estate to the Blanch centre - why no pedestrian route through the wall??

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Have you stopped paying attention now? Through the (w) hole in the wall through which evil pours. That was used as another reason NOT to have an opening, something that would happen I rthe wall was opened. ...

Yes tbh.

My point was how do they get there now if (as is claimed) the wall stops all free movement in the area. They'd have to build a closer pitch those other ones are too far away. Considering they are further away than walking around the wall now and that's impossible apparently. There's no continuous cycle lanes either so that's out. You'll be killed if you cycle on the road. Despite cycling fatalities are close to single figures nationally. Of course why people would need to go through this wall to get to parks and pitches (Like Verona) in the other direction is a bit baffling. Of course none of this is hyperbole and neither is comparing lobbying the council and residents to Nazi Germany.

There's obviously pros and cons to opening it. But Elvis left the building a long time ago on this thread.. I'll make one final suggestion if anyone serious about lobbying for an opening. Use a third party like SpatialPlanner who can make a reasoned, logical case, not a emotive irrational one. The council weakness is the thread of increased cost. Through claims, maintenance. Present a lower cost option. That's likely to win the day. backed up with photos, case studies, stats, traffic, flows etc. Too unfit to cycle to football in the wrong direction isn't going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

BostonB wrote: »
    Yes tbh.

My point was how do they get there now if (as is claimed) the wall stops all free movement in the area. They'd have to build a closer pitch those other ones are too far away. Considering they are further away than walking around the wall now and that's impossible apparently. There's no continuous cycle lanes either so that's out. You'll be killed if you cycle on the road. Despite cycling fatalities are close to single figures nationally. Of course why people would need to go through this wall to get to parks and pitches (Like Verona) in the other direction is a bit baffling. Of course none of this is hyperbole and neither is comparing lobbying the council and residents to Nazi Germany.

There's obviously pros and cons to opening it. But Elvis left the building a long time ago on this thread.. I'll make one final suggestion if anyone serious about lobbying for an opening. Use a third party like SpatialPlanner who can make a reasoned, logical case, not a emotive irrational one. The council weakness is the thread of increased cost. Through claims, maintenance. Present a lower cost option. That's likely to win the day. backed up with photos, case studies, stats, traffic, flows etc. Too unfit to cycle to football in the wrong direction isn't going to work.

Your point was half in jest (the lol) and half in earnest. The point made by AVA referred to people arriving through the wall from outside the estate to play football. The wall being opened or closed would have no effect on kids inside the estate playing. Of course you have selectively misread what I said to refer to people getting OUT to those facilities, when I was rubbishing the claim that they would come IN.

Neither AVA or anyone made a point about kids from Summerfield travelling to the great facilities around to play games. My kids go to Coolmine, at night sometimes and we live further away. But yes, if the wall opened it would be easier for SUmmerfield kids to get there if there was a walkway.....

No... You have not been paying attention.

Your last risible paragraph drags the debate further away from the actual claims people are making. You are also Gaslighting me, which i will leave up to the moderator to analyze. You say this even though i tore your argument to shreads about "extra car parking" several pages back. You claim i am the one being emotive when I have posted throughout this thread citing evidence, examples, pros/cons and measurements down to the metre.

I was in Summerfield today to visit my mother for coffee. I asked her about football games and she says the kids use the greens at the back, Summerfield meadows for ball games. NOT the green beside the wall and NOT the roads. This is not a problem in the area, AVA is making this up because he or she is grasping at straws to find reasons NOT to open the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My sole interest was a discussion on the pros an cons of openings, closures. I've no interest in personal attacks. So I'll not comment further on this thread. I hope it all works out for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I can understand why people who bougth in what was sold to them as a closed estate would get annoyed.

I know someone who did the same with a cul de sac and then permission was given to put a road down the end of it were there was a green to continue the estate. So not only was it no longer a cul de sac but over 500 houses worth of people had to travel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sharrow wrote: »
    I can understand why people who bougth in what was sold to them as a closed estate would get annoyed.

I know someone who did the same with a cul de sac and then permission was given to put a road down the end of it were there was a green to continue the estate. So not only was it no longer a cul de sac but over 500 houses worth of people had to travel that way.

I am not sure what you mean by closed estate? A closed estate to me means a gated community which summerfield is not.

To be pedantic Summerfield is a public estate with private houses in it.

The public have every right to walk into summerfield and currently to exit out the other side of it they climb over a wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK. it's been 4 years, and while they were undoubtedly fun times, I will now close the curtains on this thread. My congratulations to those who discussed their side of the argument in a reasonable and open-minded fashion; but those who didn't, be assured I'm frowning over the top of my glasses and shaking my head at you right now.
    If anyone really wants the thread re-opened and can provide some useful information or news on the subject, pm me and perhaps it shall arise from the ashes again.

This also reminds me that it must be 4 years since we had a D15 beers.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement