Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerfield estate to the Blanch centre - why no pedestrian route through the wall??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Enii wrote: »
    Gaspode, have looked at the update. Very impressive! Must have taken a bit of working on. Thanks!

Cant claim it as my own, I got it from another moderator a while ago and I'm not sure where they got it.

It is good, though not always easy to stick to! Its easy to dive straight into the lower levels, but it's something for all of us to strive towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

What do you mean get my facts straight? You didn't give me any facts to get straight. What was I supposed to do, ask you for your life story before responding? Hardly.

The wall is preventing MORE traffic coming through. And thus lessen the litter problem.

Putting bins and a streetsweeper in isn't going to stop any drunken louts from coming through and making commotion at three in the morning. A walkway will just encourage people to come through Summerfield as a shortcut. No thanks.

I wouldnt expect you to listen to my life story. I said enough for you to get the jist in this thread and the other. That wall was a huge feature in my life and I was relating that. Sorry if you dont like it but nobody in that estate ever listened to that viewpoint that we should go around the long way.

Druken louts travel at 12pm. Look around at the rest of the thread, somone said a locked and unlocked gate to keep them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Gaspode wrote: »

It is good, though not always easy to stick to! Its easy to dive straight into the lower levels, but it's something for all of us to strive towards.

Absolutely! :)

Gaspode wrote: »
    Cant claim it as my own, I got it from another moderator a while ago and I'm not sure where they got it.

I must admit thats a good triangle, but it needs protection. Is there any chance you could build a Berlin Wall II around it to protect it from drunken louts, the golden horde, litter mountains, the evils of world capitalism and y'all ain't from 'round here walkers. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I must admit thats a good triangle, but it needs protection. Is there any chance you could build a Berlin Wall II around it to protect it from drunken louts, the golden horde, litter mountains, the evils of world capitalism and y'all ain't from 'round here walkers. :P

Oh, you've met me then!! :)

Those guys rarely surface above the bottom level so it should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I wouldnt expect you to listen to my life story. I said enough for you to get the jist in this thread and the other. That wall was a huge feature in my life and I was relating that. Sorry if you dont like it but nobody in that estate ever listened to that viewpoint that we should go around the long way.

Druken louts travel at 12pm. Look around at the rest of the thread, somone said a locked and unlocked gate to keep them out.

They do not travel at 12. I've been woken enough times at 2/3/4 in the morning to know this.

A gate needs someone to be keyholder. And it doesn't address the issue I'm most concerned about with is the increase it traffic. If anything it would make it worse.

Don't get me wrong. I live there and I know it can be a pain to walk around to get to the centre but I'd rather do that than have the walk way (gate or not) put in and have hundreds of people walking passed my house and through my estate everyday. Putting bins in don't necessarily mean people use them y'know.

LOL!!!!

That's a nice little snipe at me there. You seem lovely. :rolleyes:

That's a nice little snipe at me there. You seem lovely. :rolleyes:

OK Michellelenman and Luttrell1975 both of you need to step back and take a breath, stop being personal towards each other, directly or indirectly. Please be civil.

If you have reasonable arguments why there should/should not be foot access through Summerfield, then put them forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I had a nice hop today.

Whoever was arguing about ruining your shoes and trousers for getting to school - obviously walking around would take longer but I think most people would prefer earlier mornings than dirty clothes to school.

Having a gate would definitely increase the amount of drunken eejits singing their way home through the estate.

Having a lockable gate would be the best option, I'd say. In the meantime, hopping is grand but just not on rainy days.

Also, I'd like to express my gratitude to those saints who bother putting trolleys at the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you look at problems in housing estates, its often around walkthroughs and alleyways. Its a big problem. Which is why they get bricked up, and gated. I've had the same experience in two different areas of Dublin 15.

Excuse me. My parents live there and I lived there and most of the kids I grew up with there climbed it so get your facts straight. I had to go that way to school and there was no way I was walking three times the distance or i couldnt go home for lunch. What were we meant to do all get driving licences at 13 or be late for school?...

I can't imagine parents saying son heres your route to school across a 6ft wall. Had to? No other options? How about cycle, bring a lunch? Hardly a trek to the South Pole is it. Lots of kids in the area went to school in town. I took two buses each way, or one bus and a 20 min walk. Brought a lunch. One of my mates cycled it. I think I walked about 20 mins to primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

BostonB wrote: »
    If you look at problems in housing estates, its often around walkthroughs and alleyways. Its a big problem. Which is why they get bricked up, and gated. I've had the same experience in two different areas of Dublin 15.

I can't imagine parents saying son heres your route to school across a 6ft wall. Had to? No other options? How about cycle, bring a lunch? Hardly a trek to the South Pole is it. Lots of kids in the area went to school in town. I took two buses each way, or one bus and a 20 min walk. Brought a lunch. One of my mates cycled it. I think I walked about 20 mins to primary school.

I think you are missing the point a little. By having a wall there you are attempting to make his choice for him. Those are your solutions to his problem and yet all he wants is to walk to school which ISNT crossing over private property.

Like others have said the time-lock gate is the answer. If it shuts in the evening your fears are zero from drunken louts. If there is a walkway through that bit of grass the council has to keep it tidy so no litter so long as its a legal path. But people living in the estate with no car have to suffer every day for what you want which is a useless wall that a lot of people including scumbags and burglars can climb easily. The same wall that creates a shooping trolley and masonry mess on the other side.

I think you are missing the point a little. By having a wall there you are attempting to make his choice for him. Those are your solutions to his problem and yet all he wants is to walk to school which ISNT crossing over private property.

No the point is he took shortcut, that he didn't have to, as it meant he could walk even less. However its not the easiest or the quickest route. Cycling would be. So it fails there too. Kids walked to school in the area long before the estate, or the wall, or the road behind existed.

So what is the point. Kids should not have to walk too far?
    Like others have said the time-lock gate is the answer. If it shuts in the evening your fears are zero from drunken louts. If there is a walkway through that bit of grass the council has to keep it tidy so no litter so long as its a legal path. But people living in the estate with no car have to suffer every day for what you want which is a useless wall that a lot of people including scumbags and burglars can climb easily. The same wall that creates a shooping trolley and masonry mess on the other side.

The logic being people moved into the estate because they wanted access, yet knowing it didn't have any.

The logic being the same council who fail at keeping the current mess maintained will suddenly start keeping the walkway clear.

I have no fear, I don't live there. My experience however is that walkways cause problems at all times. Just more at night. Depends on the area though. Some have it a lot worse than others.

If someone can climb a wall they can climb a gate. Unless of course the gate puts off people, or reduces the numbers who'll bother. In which case a wall will do the same, perhaps less effectively. Depends on the design of the gate/wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Modern technology can solve the problem.

whether it is timelocked gates - the Fingal CC gate between Draiocht and the Leisureplex closes at ten - or swipe cards with a fixed number given to each house, both sides can be kept happy.

My preference is a swipe card system, pedestrian access to the Centre - an environmental benefit - but also restricted to those in Summerfield would be the result. There are plenty of examples of these all over Dublin.

There would be no change for those non-summerfield residents prepared to hop the wall, they would still have to do that.

I have no fear, I don't live there. My experience however is that walkways cause problems at all times. Just more at night. Depends on the area though. Some have it a lot worse than others.

I don't think I've ever heard of or witnessed a dodgy timelocked gate.

When were we talking about faulty gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

There is an "Extraordinary Summerfield Resident's Association Meeting @ 8pm tonight 14th Dec in Coolmine Community School to discuss "RE: Blanchardtown Town Center Masterplan, potential impact for both estates and need for response from all residents. Invitation extended to Springfield Residents. "

When were we talking about faulty gates?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Dodgy as in troublesome.

quank wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Dodgy as in troublesome.

You quoted my comment about alleyways. Not gates. I thought you quoted the wrong person. I didn't say the problems are solely at nighttime.

I don't get the logic. Rubbish is only created at night, or that people only rob stuff at night, of get up to mischief at night. Because they are busy working during the day?

My last experience of it was with the Guards who refused to chase/search robbers down alleys ways. That was around Roselawn. The only point I'm making being the alley was used as access/exit. I've seen that in a few places. Car waits on the end of the alley, while they try robbing a car at the other end. Once the walkway was closed the rate of car thefts, and attempts, dropped dramatically.

Of course theres every possiblity there may be no problems at all here. Only way to know is try if for a few months and then reevaluate. That would be reasonable.

I'm well confused, ignore me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Enii wrote: »
    I doubt this. People want to get as close to the centre as possible. I often times park in Coolmine Sports Complex and walk in to the centre.........I am one of a few who does this - even at busy times like Christmas.

I don't get your point. Summerfield is a lot closer to the centre than Coolmine sports complex.

Michellenman, I live in Summerfield as well and I can understand where you are coming from, but you seemed to have missed the point about the drunken louts.

They will jump the wall no matter what. Having a gate will not increase the amount of them that come through. They hop over on trolleys, get boosts/jimmyups etc. whatever you want to call them.

And what about the people who can't jump it? Girls in heels after a night out in heaven or those who just wouldn't have been bothered before? Putting a gate in makes it easier for them to do it and makes it possible for others who couldn't before to do it.

A wall or gate will filter most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Wont somebody think of the children!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

And what about the people who can't jump it? Girls in heels after a night out in heaven or those who just wouldn't have been bothered before? Putting a gate in makes it easier for them to do it and makes it possible for others who couldn't before to do it.

Girls in heels after a night out in Heaven will be jumping into a Taxi they always have and always will. :D

Ditto kids will always take shortcuts. Its like trying to stop the tide coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pondasher

Hi there,

I've been living in the Summerfield estate for about 15 months now, just across the wall from the West End roundabout (near Next, Heaven, etc) and one thing I've always wondered is just why the hell there's no pedestrian entrance/exit through the wall to get to the Blanch centre?

There's usually a trolley stacked up on either side so getting across isn't a problem per-se for any able-bodied individual, but (for example) a mother with a pram isn't going to get across. Also, as you'd expect, it gets very mucky during the winter.
    Hopping the wall literally cuts 20 minutes of walking time getting to the centre. Everybody does it, so why not just knock a section of the wall and put in a pedestrian route? Put bollards or a gate there if they don't want cars/motorbikes gaining access.

What do other people think?

At last someone living in Summerfield is thinking of their wider commiunity

pondasher wrote: »

At last? Its the first post in the thread, almost 2yrs ago?

pondasher wrote: »

Yay for community spirit!

• Advertisement

No the point is he took shortcut, that he didn't have to, as it meant he could walk even less. However its not the easiest or the quickest route. Cycling would be. So it fails there too. Kids walked to school in the area long before the estate, or the wall, or the road behind existed.

So what is the point. Kids should not have to walk too far?

The logic being people moved into the estate because they wanted access, yet knowing it didn't have any.

The logic being the same council who fail at keeping the current mess maintained will suddenly start keeping the walkway clear.

If someone can climb a wall they can climb a gate. Unless of course the gate puts off people, or reduces the numbers who'll bother. In which case a wall will do the same, perhaps less effectively. Depends on the design of the gate/wall.

Walkways cause problems at all times? So maybe there should be a rule against getting out of your car and walking?

There was a 6foot wall and it rarely stopped me except that I had to throw a schoolbag and occasionally damage or dirty some clothes.I didnt bike it coz Clonsilla road was too busy at even back then. The number of days when I was late and was car carried was also high and the wall didnt help that

All the other arguments about crime and litter are all just guess work. The wall creates a litter problem just not in MBY. It creates a crime problem if anyone was assualted late at night on the Snugboro DMZ, and a problem where some residents have committed criminal damage using oil.

Like I said before you have to ask why a TD who should be focussed on the economy and enterprise is not doing his job and interfering in what councillors are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement