Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerfield estate to the Blanch centre - why no pedestrian route through the wall??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BostonB wrote: »
    I can't see how closing it makes much difference, as you could use the walk through opposite Roselawn SC to the church.

Well id did matter to a lot of older people and young family's that used it and besides its is a legal right of way and not up to a few to inconvenience the many.

How is it there for 150yrs. I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that was nothing there except fields before they built Roselawn.

yep, but became important access way as the various estate where built as an additional access way.Similar situation to the one beside St Patrick's diswellstown

Access through estates/ new builds can be very contentious

My point not to get off topic was that daymobrew analogy was not a good one as the access predated the housing estates , where this thread is about adding one to an estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You're not answering the question how did it exist 150 yrs ago, how do you know that? I'd be very interested to see a map that old. Or is mentioned in some document.

St Patrick's diswellstown. Do you mean the lane that used to be there? and is now changed pedestrian acess to Porterstown Rd? to I don't remember being able to access that lane when it was all fields. I have a vague memory of it being blocked by a gate, and sneaking down it when we found it open as kids.

You're not answering the question how did it exist 150 yrs ago, how do you know that? I'd be very interested to see a map that old. Or is mentioned in some document.

Hi here it is mapped on Fingals coco street maps its the broken continuous line, starting at rose-lawn and continuing where rush-brook is to allow acces

The old maps are not all that great for right of way, some are present some are not, diswellstown is a good example

RightofwayRoselawn-1.jpg
    St Patrick's diswellstown. Do you mean the lane that used to be there? and is now changed pedestrian access to Porterstown Rd? to I don't remember being able to access that lane when it was all fields. I have a vague memory of it being blocked by a gate, and sneaking down it when we found it open as kids.

It was not kept in good condition, but that's this issue with rights of way once people use it and there is no effort to close it of it can be come a legal way .

It ran from the Carpenter pub roundabout through to the porterstown road. but was not always full marked on the maps.

Here is the current right of way
    diswellstownnew.jpg

Here is the historical view ,
    diswellstownold.jpg

I would be surprised if people used that Diswellsown lane, I remember it as having no surface and was very overgrown. Don't remember any mention of it over the years. And the Roselawn one? Where do you see that on an old map?
    Where did you get that old map from too. I thought they walled up that Roselawn on at one point.

I would be surprised if people used that Diswellsown lane, I remember it as having no surface and was very overgrown.

it was, there are generally just muddy track in a field that are open to access for people to use that's all. Its when building occurs or redevelopment that the issue can arise.

it may have not been used in years, but it was objections to St Patrick's where access through it and the neighboring estate that appears to have lead to its re development

Don't remember any mention of it over the years. And the Roselawn one? Where do you see that on an old map?
    Where did you get that old map from too.

I thought they walled up that Roselawn on at one point.

Its actually not on the old map, but that can be patchy in places. It looks like Fingal over the years have mapped its in small section around the area. The land lock green behind Grenville has part of it along with the now closed off lane

Residence of rush brook illegally blocked it, which then lead to the compromise in a gate been placed there and would be locked at night.

• Advertisement

Don't remember any mention of it over the years. And the Roselawn one? Where do you see that on an old map?

Actually I might be wrong, it mapped in part, the historical map and Fingal over lay each other of the lane l

But the appear to diverge at rush brook and after that :confused:

Here historical

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,707581,738496,7,9

Fingal street map
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,707588,738508,7,3

Theres one for spatial planner. Find those that have been closed illegally.

I don't get that St Pats reference. That right of way I remember being there, and built atr the same time those estates were built. Its also the back entrance to that farm/house. Thats all long before St Pats was built. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

oblivious wrote: »
    Actually I might be wrong, it mapped in part, the historical map and Fingal over lay each other of the lane l

But the appear to diverge at rush brook and after that :confused:...

Wow cool. What year is that, I can't work it out. What are the dots vs the path.

Theres one for spatial planner. Find those that have been closed illegally.

Well they may not have been illegally closed, if no one object at the time it may just happen,. They a good example of democracy in action
    I don't get that St Pats reference. That right of way I remember being there, and built atr the same time those estates were built. Its also the back entrance to that farm/house. Thats all long before St Pats was built. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Ah i was not sure if it got paved when the house building began or St pats was built. There was an initial plan to have access in though The Bechees an thus would have blocked the right of way. The residences objected to the entrance into there estate too

Entrance into the school, I getcha now. Vaguely remember something about that. Its a disgrace they didn't give the land in front of that school to st pats.

Incidentally, St Pats was meant to be on Beechpark Ave, but they objected which is why they moved it up to Diswellstown. They should have moved the catchment at the same time though.

• Advertisement

Entrance into the school, I getcha now. Vaguely remember something about that. Its a disgrace they didn't give the land in front of that school to st pats.

Yep, I wounder what Pary and ex minister of fiance failed to bring the proper legislation to correct that :(
    Incidentally, St Pats was meant to be on Beechpark Ave, but they objected which is why they moved it up to Diswellstown. They should have moved the catchment at the same time though.

Yea its a pity would have help resolve some of the enrollment issue that have happened

Wow cool. What year is that, I can't work it out. What are the dots vs the path.

The dots are the right of way i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

daymobrew wrote: »
    There is such a gate on the laneway between Roselawn Road and Rushbrook, behind Superquinn.

I have to say, in all my years living around that area, I never once actually found it locked in the evening or night...
    Just finished off talking to some residents in Summerfield who were very kind to give me their time. I even got the opportunity to interview a guy who hopped the wall!

Did he use a ladder or an upturned trolley? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

that lane way between rushbrook and the roselawn road is always closed at night ,i always walk by it !!

OP- iv lived in summerfield all my life im 20 now and ill tell you that having a whole in that wall will create much more problems for that community in that estate , and heaven wouldnt help either,people taking short cuts to tesco, abrehkebabra etc!! since iv grown up in that estate me and my friends are known in that estate , 2 familys have moved out of their homes because of the trouble that wall has brought!! i can see the other side of the coin aswell and how it would make things easier by having a while in the wall but realistically it wont happen , if a coded gate was there , the code would be spread around by people so on so forth!! there s no way around it and i dont think they should even pass having a whole in the summer-field wall,there's already enough people passing through simply just hopping the wall let alone acting the pr*cks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

BostonB

I first want to say that you and oblivious posted some good points there and I know the gate you are talking about. But... this is all Off Topic and not helpful.

As I said to you about 20 times a year ago {look back thru the thread} alleyways are bad news and they are not the same as walkways. Alleyways are dark and not overseen like a path and a gate would be.

There are other options on a gate like a timed closure, so no codes needed.

The other question, why not put a road through there. A road isn't needed. People easily get their cars out. A walkway is needed. :)

A V A wrote: »
    that lane way between rushbrook and the roselawn road is always closed at night ,i always walk by it !!

OP- iv lived in summerfield all my life im 20 now and ill tell you that having a whole in that wall will create much more problems for that community in that estate , and heaven wouldnt help either,people taking short cuts to tesco, abrehkebabra etc!! since iv grown up in that estate me and my friends are known in that estate , 2 familys have moved out of their homes because of the trouble that wall has brought!! i can see the other side of the coin aswell and how it would make things easier by having a while in the wall but realistically it wont happen , if a coded gate was there , the code would be spread around by people so on so forth!! there s no way around it and i dont think they should even pass having a whole in the summer-field wall,there's already enough people passing through simply just hopping the wall let alone acting the pr*cks

I think the wall makes problems because people only climb it in three or four places and when they drop they need end walls and pillers on the inside to help. I seen people climb over and stand on the roof of cars to get down off the wall. I seen people going to Coolmine college getting their clothes ripped. The wall does nothing to stop troublemakers. The wall is a pain for anyone walking to all the nice places in the centre.

BostonB

I first want to say that you and oblivious posted some good points there and I know the gate you are talking about. But... this is all Off Topic and not helpful.

As I said to you about 20 times a year ago {look back thru the thread} alleyways are bad news and they are not the same as walkways. Alleyways are dark and not overseen like a path and a gate would be.

There are other options on a gate like a timed closure, so no codes needed.

The other question, why not put a road through there. A road isn't needed. People easily get their cars out. A walkway is needed. :)

Can you quote what you are talking about. Where did I say alleyway in context of this specific wall?

Can you quote what you are talking about. Where did I say alleyway in context of this specific wall?

You keep doing it. I dont like alleys but its not the point. An open and well lit walkway was the proposal that started this thread,

Thats a no then...

The issue is the access, not what its called. If walls do nothing then its pretty foolish to build them everywhere, all the way through history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I think the wall makes problems because people only climb it in three or four places and when they drop they need end walls and pillers on the inside to help. I seen people climb over and stand on the roof of cars to get down off the wall. I seen people going to Coolmine college getting their clothes ripped. The wall does nothing to stop troublemakers. The wall is a pain for anyone walking to all the nice places in the centre.

The lack of a gate makes it an inconvenience for ordinary citizens who just want to walk the quickest way to their destination.

I'm sure the wall doesn't stop people from Light/Heaven taking a short cut home at 3am........

• Advertisement

You maybe right, but I would have thought it would greatly reduce the numbers at 3am.

Thats a no then...

The issue is the access, not what its called. If walls do nothing then its pretty foolish to build them everywhere, all the way through history.

What? You want me to show you your own posts?

If gateways do nothing then its pretty foolish to build them everywhere, all the way through history.

The lack of a gate makes it an inconvenience for ordinary citizens who just want to walk the quickest way to their destination.

I'm sure the wall doesn't stop people from Light/Heaven taking a short cut home at 3am........

Bingo!!!!

So if the wall doesnt stop people why have it? This question not answered yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Bingo!!!!

So if the wall doesnt stop people why have it? This question not answered yet...

Because for some reason there are people out there who want to ensconse themselves in "their estate" with only "their neighbours" in it. No strangers or other people. Other people out! out! Out! Out!

Bingo!!!!

So now you want access in the wall because it doesn't stop people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Giving access through the wall will stop people dragging along trolleys to use them to hop over and then abandoning the trolley and littering the area.

:)

But it's a fair point. If the messers climb over the wall anyway, why not just have a gate that everyone can use??

Giving access through the wall will stop people dragging along trolleys to use them to hop over and then abandoning the trolley and littering the area.

Oh Jesus I HATE seeing that bloody trolley!!

And I alway feel sorry for those school kids from Coolmine using it onntheir lunch break. That's some size wall!?

You'd think they'd just rob a ladder. I mean where do you get a trolley, when you off your trolley at 3am in the morning. I'm surprised there isn't a trolley here too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Liis7kitw&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yeah there was and the people living there and who would be directly effected said no. That is their wish. Again, this is not about the rights of anyone. This is about sheer laziness and people moaning that they can't get a quicker route to a shopping centre. If they can't walk that, how can they walk so much around the centre?

I have yet to see people saying it's about access to the library, to the theater or because it is where they work. It seems to be more about lazy people going up to shop or stuff their faces with fast food.

The consultation consisted of two guys going around knocking on doors looking for people to sign a petition against a gap in the wall. They were not too happy when I refused to sign it.

The attitude to the wall reflects the attitude of Irish people to property in general. It is my castle and I will build my walls around it to protect me from the others. My precious home.

From Summerfield the options to get to the centre are walk for 20-25 minutes through a badly-lit Coolmine Woods or down past the credit union where someone was shot last year, hop the wall or drive. Strolling up to a gate, unlocking with your key and walking to the centre in 5 minutes would be a much preferable option. Unfortunately, I am in the minority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement