Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Qashqai?? Why?

Options
  • 19-01-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Anyone know the answer to this one?
    Was out driving this morning and noticed the amount of these SUV wannabes on the road, in liffey valley carpark and in nearly every second driveway in the area. Are they any good? Will the price be affected by the new VRT? and why did Nissan stop making the Primera? Surely Nissan have lost a lot of loyal customers, all-be-it usually older men and a lot of Reps!! who drove the Primera..:confused::confused: or are they playing up to the MID-LIFE crisis..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

The Qashqai is very well spec-ed. You get alloys, air con, bluetooth as standard. On the higher spec model you get a panoramic glass roof, cruise control, reversing sensors, rain-sensing wipers. I don't know what the '08 price was but a standard one for 1.6 petrol was €25k and the higher spec, same engine, was €27,500. They are an excellent car to drive too, well spec-ed and well priced.

I agree with you on the Primera though. It seems to me that with a new Mondeo, a new Laguna and the old reliable of the Passat, Nissan have really shot themselves in the foot by not launching a new competitor. The old Primera was badly in need of re-designing or replacing but not to be dropped altogether. Nissan have some quality models in the US so I don't know why they don't adapt them and launch them over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

My Dad (not a young Man) has been a Nissan customer for years, and has been replacing his Primera every two years until now. Said he wouldnt be seen dead in a Quashqai, Just doesnt like them. He always delt with the same Nissan garage for all his cars and servicing and now this Garage has ordered a New Renault Laguna (2.0l Auto)for him at a very competative price.
    Just goes to show what a Dealer will do to keep a good customer eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Renualt & Nissan are sister companies...

Bluefoam wrote: »

Did'nt know that!! Do you think if he wanted a Mondeo or passat for example, Would they get him one just to keep him as a customer? How far will dealers go to get your business at the moment before the new VRT system comes into practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The Qashqai is as offroad as an electric wheelchair.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »

:D:D:D Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Having said that im buying one of these 4x4's in a couple of weeks.

Im getting the commercial version. I do some Buiding from time to time and i drive a opel combo at the moment, but im a a big guy 6'4" and want somthing more comfortable in a commercial and for light off road.. ie through fields but nothing that my van cant really already do.

I was going to buy a landcruiser or Pajero but the engines at 2.5 and 3.2 are unnecessary for what i need and i drive alot so with the antara at 2.0L its more economical :)

20060905-2007-opel-antara-front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yup,
    Renault own Nissan
    The Qashqai 1.5 diesel engine is the same as the new reaault laguna 1.5 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Got a Qashqai back in Sept. Never thought of it as an SUV to be honest. Just a very well specced focus competitor. Having said that it was my wifes decision , I still would have bought a focus because its bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a side note, Nissan plan to launch a new Primera in the next 12 months or so. However it will only be sold in countries like Ireland where D segment car sales are still strong. Countries like the UK will not get it though.

Hope it doesn't look like the Tiida thing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think the Qashqai can be described as an SUV, it is just a 5 door hatchback with higher than average ground clearance and beefed up SUV type bumpers, etc. A bit like the Suzuki SX-4 really.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hope it doesn't look like the Tiida thing either.

Tru
    Bloody horrible things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

snyper wrote: »

this is true, but im in favour of these type of cars because people who dont need an off roader but insist on buying one, then this type of car is somewhat of a middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They are still damgerous to pedestrians and don't have good road holding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

HJL wrote: »
    this is true, but im in favour of these type of cars because people who dont need an off roader but insist on buying one, then this type of car is somewhat of a middle ground.
    I'd agree. The Quashqai is infinitely more favourable than say an X5 or other 3 litre+ monsters that seem to be required to navigate the mountainous terrain in our cities and towns.
    vectra wrote:
    Renault own Nissan
    No they do not! Renault is a shareholder in Nissan, owning 44%. Nissan in turn own 15% of Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

My wife took one for a spin laste last year to see if she'd like it............and she HATED IT.

She felt it was no comparison to her Hyundai SUV.......citing it wqas too low down and not a proper SUV.

i'm looking forward to bringing her for a spin in the new ford SUV when it arrives to see what she thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Not getting into the pro/anti SUV debate, but would you care to back that up with evidence? Anyway, the Qashgai is just a raised up supermini. I can see how the design would be a help to people with young families etc, it might be easier to load up with stuff and easier to get kids in and out of then a regular supermini. As regards off roading, I doubt anyone in need of a car that would ever need to go off road would be silly enough to buy one of these. Ground clearence etc is not that good, and I'm sure they would get stumped by an unpaved track not to mind go across a muddy field!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Qashqai?? Why?

Beacuase its big.

And cheaper than other big cars.

Making it very desireable and accessible (who really want a Land Rover etc) to many people who need big cars to boost their egos and make them feel superior human beings to those driving small (normal) cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Sandwich wrote: »
    Qashqai?? Why?

Beacuase its big.

Making it very desireable and accessible (who really want a Land Rover etc) to many people who need big cars to boost their egos and make them feel superior human beings to those driving small (normal) cars.

Nissan's Focus Groups are to blame me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

She felt it was no comparison to her Hyundai SUV.......citing it wqas too low down and not a proper SUV.

i'm looking forward to bringing her for a spin in the new ford SUV when it arrives to see what she thinks.
    Googled SUV dictionary:

1. Suv
    Sport Utility Vehicle. Neither a sport vehicle nor a utility vehicle. A whack, fakeass (and successful) attempt by the motor vehicle industry to lure in overpaid middle class workaholic moms who think that they need a 3 ton vehicle to carry their stupid kids to soccer practice.

"My old car got 38 miles per gallon and could carry only 4 people; despite the fact that i am a divorced mother of one, i had to upgrade to a vehicle that got 13 miles per gallon and could carry 10 people."

suv-54310.jpg

LOL! Read the rest here.

• Advertisement

Qashqai?? Why?

Beacuase its big.

So does this leave us with the impression (true or false) that they are being bought by small men with little w**lies and bossy wives?
    Jebus!!! I think I need to buy one.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Nissan's Focus Groups are to blame me thinks.

You could be right.

I know the manufacturers are in business to make a profit, but there should be some sort of morality code or industry self regulation, to stop them exploiting the vulnerable people who think that they need these vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Qashqai?? Why?

Beacuase its big.
    Actually it isn't .. it's about the same size (1 cm shorter, 4 cm narrower, and only 2cm taller!) as my Focus C-Max which can hardly be described as big, seeing as it's virtually the same size, except for a few cms in height more than a normal Focus hatch. I parked up beside one the other day and was actually surprised at how big it wasn't compared to my car. In isolation it does appear quite large, but that's the styling doing that, and I guess it's what appeals to some people. Personally, I quite like it.

JHMEG wrote: »
    No they do not! Renault is a shareholder in Nissan, owning 44%. Nissan in turn own 15% of Renault.

Cool.
    Must inform my local Nissan dealer as that was what he told me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Ok its no focus to drive , but its easily as good as a golf. As for safety , its the safest car NCAP have tested with a good pedistrian rating too. By the way its shorter than a three door focus. The fuel consumtion is no different than any other family hatch. I was never a huge fan of nissan , but they definitly have come up with a new breed of car which is as simple as raising a family hatch and retaining the dynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

mildews wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this one?QUOTE]

Another way to look at this is why not?

I bought the other half a 2L auto Qashqai and its really a good machine. I doubt anyone classes this as an SUV, so whats the point in mentioning off road. Its not pitched as being bigger than other vehicles, but its roomy enough. The car handles fine for her purposes and kids like the ground height, gives good visibility. We've had most makes of vehicles over the years and so far I place this near the top. Price will be effected depending on spec, the 1.5D will be a good option after June '08. Its a personal preference, like clothes, movies, etc. Drive the car and you judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

astraboy wrote: »
    the Qashgai is just a raised up supermini.see !.

It's a segement (a segment and a half really) up from the supermini. It's in the Scenic/C-max/Verso section.

sorry lawdie! not knocking the car. im sure its very good or there wouldnt be as many around. But why have Nissan alienated a large section of their customer base by de-listing the Primera with-out giving another option that would attract the Primera driver? You cant agree that the Quashqai is a realistic choice for the "older" driver who just want a "conventional" car.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

Will be buying one in the North after July. The 1.5dci has just enough poke for me, low CO2 (139gms/km) and gives abput 60mpg if it is driven handy. The high driving position and the high specs (especially on uk model) are a selling point also. Have test driven it and it handles well and is great for me since I have two small kids and it's easier to get them in and out.

Might not suit the older motorist but it will certainly not be bought by the more serious 4*4 drivers. Most of the models sold already are the 2wd variety. It will be €150 a year to tax and have 16% vrt.

There is actually a shortage of them here and in the UK at the moment since they have been more popular than Nissan had predicted. I can see more of these smaller "Crossover" suv's being made in the coming years with small diesel engines. VW have the Tiguan out this year and Ford are bringing out the Kuga and there are more on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Nodnedlog wrote: »
    Will be buying one in the North after July. The 1.5dci has just enough poke for me, low CO2 (139gms/km) and gives abput 60mpg if it is driven handy. The high driving position and the high specs (especially on uk model) are a selling point also. Have test driven it and it handles well and is great for me since I have two small kids and it's easier to get them in and out.

Might not suit the older motorist but it will certainly not be bought by the more serious 4*4 drivers. Most of the models sold already are the 2wd variety. It will be €150 a year to tax and have 16% vrt.

There is actually a shortage of them here and in the UK at the moment since they have been more popular than Nissan had predicted. I can see more of these smaller "Crossover" suv's being made in the coming years with small diesel engines. VW have the Tiguan out this year and Ford are bringing out the Kuga and there are more on the way.

is it much cheaper to buy up north the 1.5dci
    what'll be the diffrence in price between it now and in july?
    tax cheaper by a hundred ive seen that

Advertisement