Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slightly OT ....Cold Bending a Titanium Tube

• 19-01-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hello All
    Slightly OT here but wasnt sure where to ask this Question. Please move this thread if you see fit Mods.
    i Need to bend 2 titanium tubes but cant use heat to do it. Is it possible to do this? Its critical that the bars dont break or collapse. What i need to do is bend the last 4-5 inches through approximately 10-15 degrees.

Anyone know if and how this can be done?
    Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Altreab wrote: »
    Hello All
    Slightly OT here but wasnt sure where to ask this Question. Please move this thread if you see fit Mods.
    i Need to bend 2 titanium tubes but cant use heat to do it. Is it possible to do this? Its critical that the bars dont break or collapse. What i need to do is bend the last 4-5 inches through approximately 10-15 degrees.

Anyone know if and how this can be done?
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Not really for this forum - I'll move it to engineering. They may have a solution to the problem and if not it can go to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

muffler wrote: »
    Not really for this forum - I'll move it to engineering. They may have a solution to the problem and if not it can go to DIY

Thanks .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Yeah, it can be done.

Machines like bending rolls, or a rotary draw benders (RDB) are used for cold bending. If you use bending rolls you'll have a few cm of straight material at the end of the tube before the bend. That's not a problem with the RDB. I don't think you'll need Mandrel bending, but it'll depend on the application and the quality required. I couldn't recommend anything unless I knew exactly what is required. Bending rolls or RDB should do the job, but which to go for depends on your requirements.

What are you going to use the tubes for? Are you going to do it yourself?

Advertisement