Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Prices...

Options
  • 19-01-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I Have a Fujitsu Siemens, Model Scaleo J.
    I have 992mb of Ram (x2 512s)

I was browsing this link www.computerbits.ie and found

Product Description
    1GB Module Product Code: KFJ2847/1G

Our Price: € 106.80 inc. VAT
    (€ 88.26 ex. VAT)

and was wondering is that a good price for 1 gig, which will get me up to 1.5gig ram.

It seems pretty expensive.

Tax is around 80 quid on it.
    I've tried ebay, don't think theres anything there to suite my make of pc..etc

Any tips on Where to buy Ram for cheaper?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's really steep for 1gb actually.

Try komplet.ie or dabs.ie

http://www.komplett.ie/k/memselect.aspx?cmd=getModelPartList&strMfr=Fujitsu-Siemens&strProdLine=Scaleo&strModel=Scaleo+J

According to that your pc uses PC3200 DDR-DIMM, so you could find it cheaper if you looked for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Thanks jesus, thats a great help,

I am no Comp0uter genius but know a bit about computers, so Am i gambling if i buy that 1 gb off that site, Should it be ok when I put it in?

This being only a few quid more but 2 gigs, would it be compatible with my pc?

OCZ Value 2GB Kit With 2x1GB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz, CL5-5-5-15
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341791

??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

barcoe4 wrote: »
    Thanks jesus, thats a great help,

I am no Comp0uter genius but know a bit about computers, so Am i gambling if i buy that 1 gb off that site, Should it be ok when I put it in?

This being only a few quid more but 2 gigs, would it be compatible with my pc?

OCZ Value 2GB Kit With 2x1GB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz, CL5-5-5-15
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341791

??

I don't know if your motherboard will support PC5400, the reason I posted that link was because it shows what ram your pc will support (It will work because I choose the model you posted and they came up as compatible). Have a look around other sites for similar ram, you'll probably get it cheaper. I think there's a thread around here with a list of online stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just run the scanner on the Crucial Website. It will tell you all you need to know.

How many slots your machine has

How much RAM is in each slot

How many slots are vacant (If any)

What the Max you can upgrade to is

What RAM is compatible with you system.

www.crucial.com

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

hi barcoe

thank jaysis you asked because it looks like you would have been ripped off by that first site, €106 for 1GB of RAM is very steep unless you are buying the best and are into extreme overclocking of your RAM etc.

I recently bought 2GB of RAM for €52 from dabs.ie, who only charge €5 postage for small items like RAM, as opposed to the €12/€13? that komplett.ie charge on postage. another site I can highly recommend is the Irish based shop4memory.com, who don't charge a penny for postage of small items - and they seem to deal solely in memory (RAM, usb sticks etc.). You could compare prices on dabs.ie and shop4memory.com on the same product and then make your choice - shop4memory.com usually have the item out to you next day, whereas dabs are a bit slower.

also the link you posted on komplett is to DDR2 RAM, which your motherboard may not support - you have to be careful to purchase the correct type of RAM. basically there is DDR-RAM and DDR2-RAM, they are physically different in size (DDR-RAM has 184pins and DDR2-RAM has 240pins) - you need to find out which fits your motherboard.
    DDR-RAM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
    DDR2-RAM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

jAH

• Advertisement

Your Crucial System Scanner Results

Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
    Available Memory Slots: N.A.
    Number of Banks: 2
    Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    CPU Family: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz Model 4, Stepping 9
    CPU Speed: 3058 MHz

Your Computer Specifications:

512 MB DDR PC3200
    512 MB DDR PC3200

So what SPecifications Do i Need now when going to pick the correct Ram that will be compatible with my p.c? Thats its DDR?...

Is this compatible: 1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module = 47 euro around 5 quid delivery from dabs.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

www.dabs.ie
    I got 2 gigabytes for €47.89 including delivery. Happy browsing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

the scanner would also have told you what the different options for upgrade were? Exactly what type & capacity too.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

or try http://www.shop4memory.com/ they are based in Kildare and don't have any delivery charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Is there a noticeable speed difference in using PC6400 ddr2 and PC8500? Enough to warrant the extra cost?

• Advertisement

I went onto crucial.com and got 1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory for 54 Euro Including Vat and postage packaging.

It aint so bad is it?:cool:

It seemed like the most reliable site, because it Told me that it was completely compatible with my Computer...etc

Thanks for the help lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Kernel wrote: »
    Is there a noticeable speed difference in using PC6400 ddr2 and PC8500? Enough to warrant the extra cost?

Well there's no difference unless you're running your FSB high enough to benefit from the higher rated ram. Unless you use an up divider.. But there's little performance to be gained from running your ram faster than the FSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I'm looking at upgrading some ram myself at the moment, but I'm a bit unsure about compatibility. It's for a machine which I don't have connected to the internet so the Crucial scan is of no benefit.

The computer is 5 years old so I have some doubts as to whether it will accept 2 x 1GB DDR PC3200 cards. It is currently running 1 x 512MB DDR and 1 x 256MB DDR PC2700.

I want to get it up to 2 gig if possible. Is there anyway I can determine compatibility without connecting that PC to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

telecaster wrote: »
    I'm looking at upgrading some ram myself at the moment, but I'm a bit unsure about compatibility. It's for a machine which I don't have connected to the internet so the Crucial scan is of no benefit.

The computer is 5 years old so I have some doubts as to whether it will accept 2 x 1GB DDR PC3200 cards. It is currently running 1 x 512MB DDR and 1 x 256MB DDR PC2700.

I want to get it up to 2 gig if possible. Is there anyway I can determine compatibility without connecting that PC to the internet?
    You could if you enter either enter the model of your computer motherboard, or if it is a brand name like Dell, HP etc., it should be enough to just enter the system model, for example if it's a Dell, just specifying Dimension 4500 is enough.
    If it is a non-brandname computer and you don't know the motherboard maker and model, the go to http://www.cpuid.com and download a program called CPU-Z. Install this on the computer in question and it will tell you all sorts of useful info about your computer's processor, motherboard and memory. Enter this motherbard make and model into the Crucial Memory Advisor tool at the link given earlier and it should tell you what memory suits your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

duridian wrote: »
    ] and download a program called CPU-Z. Install this on the computer in question and it will tell you all sorts of useful info about your computer's processor, motherboard and memory.

:rolleyes: Correction: you don't install it, its just an application that you open, no install required. Can be run straight off cd or memory card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Correction: you don't install it, its just an application that you open, no install required. Can be run straight off cd or memory card etc.
    Whatever, unzip it and run it then :rolleyes:

Advertisement