Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2x2gb crucial ballistix??

Options
  • 19-01-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I will soon be upgrading my rig and I am looking for a 2x2gb set of crucial ballistix ram. For some odd reason they don't have them on OcUK or Komplett.... Anyone know if crucial even do these sets? I really want 2x2 and I don't want to go with another brand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why Crucial, why not some other brand that are available & even better priced, You gotta realise no matter which brand ram you get (even crucial) none of the 2Gb sticks overclock much above stock. I recommend these

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why Crucial, why not some other brand that are available & even better priced, You gotta realise no matter which brand ram you get (even crucial) none of the 2Gb sticks overclock much above stock. I recommend these
    I don't why tbh. Have to admit I don't know much about ram so I'll take your advice. The whole reason I'm looking for matched 2gb sticks is because I was told they perform better than filling your slots with 1gb (4x1) sticks. This is true right? Cause if not then I could just simply buy another 2gb and match it with my current ram (4x1).

And that ram you linked is bloody well priced!! I know G.Skill are good so might go for that set.

Btw I'll be sticking these in an x48 mobo at some point. I assume they'll do fine?

Ya, You got the right idea m8, its better as an overclocker to have 2x2Gb than 4x1Gb, mobo's handle 2 sticks better. Can't go wrong at that price either. Just put the 2x1Gb sticks on Adverts.

BTW. those ram are even cheaper in the USA, here, I got my sis in NY 2 buy em for me and send them home, worked out at 83e delivered to her address.

Ya, they'll be fine in a ddr2 x48, ddr3 might drop in price tho

Ya, You got the right idea m8, its better as an overclocker to have 2x2Gb than 4x1Gb, mobo's handle 2 sticks better. Can't go wrong at that price either. Just put the 2x1Gb sticks on Adverts.

BTW. those ram are even cheaper in the USA, here, I got my sis in NY 2 buy em for me and send them home, worked out at 83e delivered to her address.

Ya, they'll be fine in a ddr2 x48, ddr3 might drop in price tho
    Excellent. Ah they're cheap enough here so I'll just order them off OcUk. Much cheaper than I expected!

Thanks for the advice mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would reccomend geil black dragon ram. ITs amazingly overclockable without having to use crazy volts. Plus a 8 payer pcb helps compared to the 6 of most other types.

Yeah actually I meant to ask opinions on the OCZ 6400. Would I be sacrificing much going from pc2-8000?

Anti, I also checked out the Geil. Don't they only sell in 1gb (4x1) sets though? Oh forgive me, just found this set: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-069-GL&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=813

So is 6400 much slower?

Ya anti's right, these black dragons are the dogs bollix, but bit pricey tho.
    There are cheaper pc6400 black dragons, here which are the very similar to the OCZ pc6400's posted above, but slightly more expensive.

Remember none of these 2gb sticks will do much over their rated speeds. Just decide on how much your willing to spend and what speed you'd be happy with. Personally, I'd try stick to one of the pc8000 or pc8500 sets, anti's set is slightly faster than the G.Skills i posted (1066mhz>1000mhz), but that is reflected in the price.

Ya anti's right, these black dragons are the dogs bollix, but bit pricey tho.
    There are cheaper pc6400 black dragons, here which are the very similar to the OCZ pc6400's posted above, but slightly more expensive.

Remember none of these 2gb sticks will do much over their rated speeds. Just decide on how much your willing to spend and what speed you'd be happy with. Personally, I'd try stick to one of the pc8000 or pc8500 sets, anti's set is slightly faster than the G.Skills i posted (1066mhz>1000mhz), but that is reflected in the price.
    Okay well the cost is important so seeing as the G.Skill is cheap and still pc8000 I might go with them as I originally planned. I haven't come to a definate decision though so I'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Geil make me laugh with their heat spreaders. They do absolutly nothing for ddr2 ram as they dont get hot enough to need them.

• Advertisement

You'll be happy to know that that my 2x2Gb G.Skill pc8000 runs fine for me at pc8500 speeds with stock timings & voltage. Thats 1066mhz (1000mhz is stock) 5-5-5-15 with 2.1v. Not pushed it any further as I'm in the middle of a few changes & upgrades. Don't expect to be able to push much further with 2gb sticks, but I'm v happy with that. Nice for 83e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

To the OP, unless you are going to be overclocking the fsb of your cpu past 266 or 333mhz the DDR2 6400 (800mhz ram) is more then enough for you. Considering this memory operates at 400mhz (800/2) and your cpu is slightly slower at 266mhz (1066/4) or 333mhz (1333/4) this memory is even faster then the bandwidth your cpu has. If running your CPU at stock speeds even DDR2 5300 (667mhz ram) would be a closer match to your CPU's FSB. The ONLY benefits I see with DDR2 8000 or higher is if you are pushing 500mhz plus fsb's (oveclocking heavily). There is also a slight benefit for I/O activity which relies on direct memory access rather then going over the bus, so the extra speed of the memory can benefit, but it's almost unpecievable to be honest. If DDR2 6400 (800mhz) ram is much cheaper then the faster ram I would stick with that.

Advertisement