Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new graphics card+ help on how to change it...

Options
  • 19-01-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Need a new graphics card+ help on how to change it...

Previuos Crap Graphics card is:
    Ati Radeon Express 200 series, 30mb
    P.c= Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo J, 1 gb ram...

I was looking on Ebay and was wondering if this is Compatible
    with my pc
    ATI X300 Radeon Low Profile PCI Xpress 128mb

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120211001967&_trksid=p2759.l1259

I have never Changed my graphics card, only changed my Ram once, thats it,
    so go easy on the Words of Computer whizzez, dey may not be in my vocabulary
    :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why are you changing? Anything necessitating an upgrade from an X200 would not get by happily on an X300.The X200 is onboard video, so all you have to do is insert a card into the pci-e slot, it will automatically disable onboard.

If we know why you're upgrading, we can help more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Basically Because you see, I play America's Army (multiplayer first-person shooter)
    and I am only getting tops 25-30 FPS On small maps. On the maps I like I only get average 15 FPS.

Thats the reason. Im not sure what you mean by the x200-300 thing.

The better card I get the higher Fps i get obviously which is wat i want.
    Yous know how it is in Game and You lagg/ takes ages to load..etc

My problem is that my knowledge of Graphics cards/ changing parts is low.
    Its not like I'm a computer Engineer so go easy please :cool:
    Tanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zumpel

I assume that you just want something to throw a picture on the screen, and for that the card is ok. Newer games won't be much of a joy on the x300. (I just took the one I had and replaced it with something newer.. big difference.)

anyroada...

it's pretty easy. just take your time and be sure to touch the metal case of the computer to earth yourself before you start work, and try not to touch chips and contacts (read, hold the cards by the edges)

Here's a nice quick guide:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html

just one thing: there's usually a plastic ring about the slot on the board that
    has a sort of bracket which holds the card securely in the slot by a little plastic "nose" that fits to a notch in the card.
    The ring has a little handle you need to push (or pull, depending how its installed) so the "nose" is moved out of the notch, otherwise you can pull
    all you want and the installed card won't come free. (And you'll likely be janking, swearing and cutting yourself on assorted bits of high tech.. but blood sacrifices are only in order for large network installations, graphic card changes don't require that)
    When putting the new one in, the "nose" will likely slip in automatically
    when you push the new card into the slot. If not use the handle.
    Just have a good look at how the current card seems to sit in the computer
    at the moment, then the above will (hopefully) make sense.

Whole process will probably take less time then it took for you to read this post. :)

Ok well, the X300 would be an improvement, but the X200 is actually based on the X300 core so it's going from terrible to not-so-terrible, if you know what I mean.

Now, the problem with your computer is that the power supply won't power anything powerful, but the good news is that any half decent modern card can run Americas Army at high settings flawlessly.

This will run AA on highest settings at about 60fps. Fair play to you for playing online with 15fps....I simply wouldn't be able to even attempt that!

The 7600GT by todays standards is a weak card but if all you're playing is AA and other games from that period/based on the UE2 engine, the 7600GT will literally blow you away in comparison to what you're using.

If you're on a very tight budget, let me know. It's possible to get a card for under 50 euro that'll still play AA on high settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zumpel

ok.. if it's an onboard chip.. just deinstall the old drivers, push in the new board, fix the screws , start and install the drivers (like shown on the cnet link)

Looking at the game requirments:
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=231038

the x300 should do ok(ish), but there'd still be room for improvement. depends on how much eyecandy you want and at what resolution you play. but that will cost more of course.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote: »
    The 7600GT by todays standards is a weak card but if all you're playing is AA and other games from that period/based on the UE2 engine, the 7600GT will literally blow you away in comparison to what you're using.

If you're on a very tight budget, let me know. It's possible to get a card for under 50 euro that'll still play AA on high settings.

Yess the 7600GT Sounds like my kind of thing, I've put in a couple of Bids on Ebay, I doubt I'll get it for under 50 quid, you know bidders these days:rolleyes:

I need to know if i get the GeForce® 7600 GT OC™, (256 MB) PCI Express Graphic Card

Will it be Fully compatible with MY p.C because I read all this stuff about it and wonder....

Memory
    Installed Memory 256 MB
    Memory Tech What is "Memory Tech"?
    GDDR3 SDRAM
    Memory Data Width What is "Memory Data Width"?
    128-bit
    Installed Memory / Technology What is "Installed Memory / Technology"?
    256 MB (GDDR3 SDRAM)
    Memory Bandwidth 23.2 GB/sec
    Technical Features
    Form Factor Plug-in card
    Max. Screen Resolution What is "Max. Screen Resolution"?
    2560 x 1600
    Refresh Rate at Max Res 60 Hz @ 2560 x 1600
    Pipeline Engines 12 Pipeline Engines
    Fill Rate 725 Million vertices/sec
    Special Features SLI Multi GPU Ready • HDTV TV-out Support
    Input / Output
    Display Interface DVI x 2
    Output Interface YPbPr Connection for HDTV

...how do I know if all these facts will fit My pc motherboard..etc?

So basically, If i buy this then I follow the instructions given from Cnet on how to install graphics cards...etc Will it be ok.

OR

Is there requirements I need for the 7600 GT?:confused:

If all is ok, Could sum1 help me out on getting one for under 50 quid?

I want the 7600GT to blow me away in comparison to what I'm using.

Thanks

You don't need to know any of those terms, the only thing affecting whether or not the card will work is:

1) A pci-e slot
    2) Adequate power supply

You should be fine on both counts, so have nothing else to worry about.

AA is not a very demanding game by todays standards, if you are on a tight budget something like a much cheaper 7600GS is still pretty good, as is the likes of an X1650Pro, 8400GS, HD2400Pro, etc. You can check them all out on komplett.ie or dabs.ie by searching for them, make sure you search around regarding prices. I know off the top of my head you can get the HD2400Pro for about 42 euro.

You get the same cards from different vendors, often with different warranties, cooling solutions, and of course prices - I usually go for the cheapest of the cheap myself.

also, check adverts.ie - always loads of cards being bought and sold there. Like I said, a 7600GT would be perfect for your needs, but even a weaker card like the 7600GS or even a 7300GT would be a massive improvement for you.

Some cards to suit your system at 40-55 euro bracket. All will run AA at higher settings. Some are better then others, but all fine for your intended purposes.

7600GS - 55 euro

X1650Pro - 57 euro

Hd2400Pro - 45 euro

8400GS - 41 euro

HavoK thanks very much for your help, it is much appreciated the GeForce 7600GS it is!!
    I'll let you know how I get on when I get it after my exams in around 3-4 weeks!

Zumpel Thanks aswell for the guide links on how to install the card, Very useful!!

Cheers lads!!:D

I was on Ebay and won auction. Got it for EUR 46.

Is that good for the GeForce® 7600 GT??;)

THE GeForce 7600 GT IS PCI-E DVI

My device manager tells me my ATI Radeon 200 series is PCI bus 1, device 5, function 0

Will the higlighted red PCI's work together.

Will that Card work in my Pci slot? I presume so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

why did u make a new topic and not just continue in this one??

yes the 7600gt will work with ur computer if your power supply will handle it. the new card will just cancel out ur old onboard grapics card, so you just have to slot it in and plug in ur monitor then install the drivers and away u go!

allen175 wrote: »
    why did u make a new topic and not just continue in this one??

yes the 7600gt will work with ur computer if your power supply will handle it!

How to find out whether my computer will be able to handle the new card or not. How do i find out all Power info needed?

:confused:

Advertisement