Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduations 2008

Options
  • 19-01-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Does anybody know when the Graduation ceremonies will be held next summer, particularly Business? I need to book flights home from the States and the sooner I can have a specific date the better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Going on last summers grads I'd say the last week in August; which day business is on I couldn't tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

is it not on the academic calender?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkette

PeakOutput wrote: »
    is it not on the academic calender?

Nope not that I can see. Last year they were from the 27th to 31stof August.

Will probably be the same week again, I just dont want to book flights and find I miss it by a day! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Corkette wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the Graduation ceremonies will be held next summer, particularly Business? I need to book flights home from the States and the sooner I can have a specific date the better.
    You have to check the 2008/2009 calender for the graduation dates. Graduation week is Monday 25th to Friday 29th of August. Just do what I did and book the flights for a week after the exams (So you get a week of "End of Exams" partying - very important since its the last one ever) and book the flight home for a week before the grad week, that way you get to adjust to the timezone and organize yourself for a week long grad party:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cooperguy wrote: »
    You have to check the 2008/2009 calender for the graduation dates. Graduation week is Monday 25th to Friday 29th of August. Just do what I did and book the flights for a week after the exams (So you get a week of "End of Exams" partying - very important since its the last one ever) and book the flight home for a week before the grad week, that way you get to adjust to the timezone and organize yourself for a week long grad party:D

^^ what he said :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

im doin exactly with cooper said.. means i wont be jet lagged for the session either and we all know thats the most important pat of graduation

Im doing a bit of thread bumpage because I have to seriously reconsider my flight plans even though they are already booked:mad: I have just found out that you could be called for an interview if your QCA is borderline on a higher degree e.g. if your QCA is 2.8 or 2.9 the external examiner that reads your FYP and goes over exam scripts will interview you to see if you have a half decent understanding of the course and deserve the higher degree that a 3.0 QCA would give you. The interviews for my course arnt on till the 2nd week in June. My QCA will more than likely be around the borderline so I think ill have to hang around.

So thats somethin for all the 4th years planning J1s to take into account

Im doing a bit of thread bumpage because I have to seriously reconsider my flight plans even though they are already booked:mad: I have just found out that you could be called for an interview if your QCA is borderline on a higher degree e.g. if your QCA is 2.8 or 2.9 the external examiner that reads your FYP and goes over exam scripts will interview you to see if you have a half decent understanding of the course and deserve the higher degree that a 3.0 QCA would give you. The interviews for my course arnt on till the 2nd week in June. My QCA will more than likely be around the borderline so I think ill have to hang around.

So thats somethin for all the 4th years planning J1s to take into account

That depends on the faculty involved. Some don't do that; for example, afaik, the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences automatically bumps up everyone within the 0.1 discretionary band and has the lower QCA as the ultimate cut-off, no ifs, buts, or questioning. Check with your relevant Faculty first. It varies (which makes it somewhat arbitrary and unfair, tbh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

great.. cooper wat dept r u

Im not sure what its called anymore didnt all the colleges get amalgamated and stuff there a month or two ago. Im doing an engineering/science course so what ever that department is!

Its very annoying though. Why does UL always have to operate with a policy of rumor and speculation. There is never an email sent around saying exactly how graduations work or any other of the procedures in the college since first year I have been relying on news to filter through on how things work and this is just another prime example of that. If a lecturer hadnt mentioned it in passing then I probably would have found out about it when I got the email with my interview time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Im not sure what its called anymore didnt all the colleges get amalgamated and stuff there a month or two ago. Im doing an engineering/science course so what ever that department is!

Its very annoying though. Why does UL always have to operate with a policy of rumor and speculation. There is never an email sent around saying exactly how graduations work or any other of the procedures in the college since first year I have been relying on news to filter through on how things work and this is just another prime example of that. If a lecturer hadnt mentioned it in passing then I probably would have found out about it when I got the email with my interview time :angry:

All of that stuff like the interviews for borderline QCAs is in the student handbook that you get when you start in UL. I'm sure there is one available every year, I remember reading it when I was there. The information is freely available to all students. Most students however tend to bin all that stuff on day one and then complain that nobody tells them anything.

The dates of graduation will be in it and when you get your letter in July (I assume that hasn't changed) detailing what kind of degree you have been awarded you will get all the details of when the graduation will take place and exactly what will happen on the day, how many people you can bring and how to order your robes.

What was said by previous posters about being moved up a grade is true however. If you get a 2.9 they will give you a 2.1, if you get a 3.3 you will more than likely get a 1.1, if you get a 2.7 you will get a 2.2

They only call in very few students and I would imagine those that are on the borderline when they were called in, had borderline grades the whole way through and the same on their FYP

None of my class were called for interview (Education Faculty) and lots got move up a grade automatically.

Here's the link for an older version of the handbook. it's the 04-05 academic year but all the information aside from semester dates are the same regarding degree awards etc

http://www.ul.ie/studentservices/student-handbook.htm

You're now under the Faculty of Engineering and Science :)
    Its very annoying though. Why does UL always have to operate with a policy of rumor and speculation. There is never an email sent around saying exactly how graduations work or any other of the procedures in the college since first year I have been relying on news to filter through on how things work and this is just another prime example of that. If a lecturer hadnt mentioned it in passing then I probably would have found out about it when I got the email with my interview time :angry:

This is how I found out that I no longer had an FYP supervisor: through rumour. Yes, yes, with an FYP due in week 4 I found out in week 1 through other people that my supervisor had dumped his FYP students. I then went in search of his office: it didn't exist any more. Of course, it took two frantic emails from me begging him to reply and confirm plus another email to the person who was supposed to be taking over from him before it was actually made certain. Things like that shouldn't be found out by rumour. Dept of History will be getting a formal letter of complaint (...after grading, of course ;))

You're now under the Faculty of Engineering and Science :)

This is how I found out that I no longer had an FYP supervisor: through rumour. Yes, yes, with an FYP due in week 4 I found out in week 1 through other people that my supervisor had dumped his FYP students. I then went in search of his office: it didn't exist any more. Of course, it took two frantic emails from me begging him to reply and confirm plus another email to the person who was supposed to be taking over from him before it was actually made certain. Things like that shouldn't be found out by rumour. Dept of History will be getting a formal letter of complaint (...after grading, of course ;))
    Logical enough I suppose:D
    All of that stuff like the interviews for borderline QCAs is in the student handbook that you get when you start in UL.
    I dont think its fair to be expected to remember something from a handbook given to you in week 0 of first year because thats the only year you are given it. And what am I supposed to do look up every possible occurrance of what might happen each semester to see if it will happen. In that case I better make sure there isnt some sort of goat sacrificing ritual I need to take part in during week 13 of the second semester before I graduate:D All im saying is that it wouldnt have taken too much effort to send out an email to all 4th years it applied to at the start of the year. Im sure even ninety9er would agree with that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

In that case I better make sure there isnt some sort of goat sacrificing ritual I need to take part in during week 13 of the second semester before I graduate:D

Goat sacrifices....mmmm goats. I'm afraid it's much worse than that (see page 666 of the Student Handbook for more info).

Advertisement