Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on Points

• 19-01-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Ok well, I'm going to be doing 3 HL and 3 Ord subjects for the LC I'm looking to get 370 Points on my leaving cert, I'm a decent student not brainy as in the respect of A1's all the way but I'm not stupid, what kind of study would you think i should do as in Hours and days, what way will its work for me to get 370 with my 6 subjects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Valde wrote: »
    Ok well, I'm going to be doing 3 HL and 3 Ord subjects for the LC I'm looking to get 370 Points on my leaving cert, I'm a decent student not brainy as in the respect of A1's all the way but I'm not stupid, what kind of study would you think i should do as in Hours and days, what way will its work for me to get 370 with my 6 subjects.

Hours and days I can't help you with. It's not about the time! :eek:

Post your subjects and the max possible you think you can get in them, and maybe some people can tell you the kind of work you'll need to do in each of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Valde

Irish(O) B3
    English(H) B2
    Maths(O) B1
    Physics(O)B3
    Business(H)B2
    German(H)C2

I do know that doesn't add up to 370 so ideas are welcomed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No one can tell you how much to study, you could say to yourself right now "i'm going to do 3 hours study" but you'd probably only get about half of that as real study. So i'd say forget about the days hours minutes and seconds and just set small achievable goals for each subject that you can achieve in one study session. Like for business you might try to get the role of a HR manager learned off/revised, and then move on to the next subject. Well that's what i did when i was studying for the LC last year.

Yea It's just I'm begining to worry about not geting enough points for the college course i really want to do, and knowing that I will not settle for a Level7 course I'll be pritty f**cked

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Why Ordinary Level Physics? Its not much easier than Higher Level, and still takes a lot of learning... Why not try Higher Level? A good B or C will get you more points than an A in pass..

See how you get on in the mocks, nobody can say how much you need to study... I do after school study from 4-6 (mostly homework) then I try and sudy from maybe 7 until half 8 or so... Then maybe 3-4 hours saturday and sunday..

I need 370 points too :p

• Advertisement

I'm doing at the moment 5 highers and 1 Ordinary which is Irish I'm just considering that I might have to drop down in Maths and Physics!

Valde wrote: »
    I'm doing at the moment 5 highers and 1 Ordinary which is Irish I'm just considering that I might have to drop down in Maths and Physics!

Get a grind! Don't go to the darkside! :D

What course you doing?

Hopefully Science International in NUI Maynooth or something in UCD, but the thing is conzy I don't have the 1st clue on how to study, after spending most of my life in boarding school in the UK this is weird having to do 6 subjects :) How do you usually study for physics etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

yeah i am doing all H(except french)
    since you will get more for a decent grade there than in pass.

really just spend what you can, don't go out everyday, make sure you get homework done (this time of the year homework is study)
    and do a bit extra if you can too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Business would be the best of your subjects to cram and cram and do past questions for. As for English, can be very unpredictable and could go your way on the day- keep doing past questions and know your texts etc.

If you're not failing Maths and Physics, consider not dropping at least one of them. A C2 in Honours is worth a good bit points-wise compared to pass points. Even a D is 50 points isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

An A1 in pass is worth more than a D1 in honours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah but the danger of that is- not having covered material the pass course covers that the honours doesn't. This especially burns people with maths, and is sometimes funny when they go on and on about how easy it is, then end up getting a C because they've forgotten how to do some it because it's so easy.

An A1 in pass is worth more than a D1 in honours

Yes, but although pass may be easier, you still aren't going to get an A1 easily....

So a C or B in an Honours Subject is a lot better...

To study physics, summarize the chapter for yourself, formulas, experiments, definitions.. Then learn it, then answer all the questions in the work book, then past papers..

I've only done a few chapters so far, but aiming for June, not my mocks which start February 4th :o

Advertisement