Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 325i WTF?

• 19-01-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

I was considering swapping my stock muffler for a sport one.
    Here is what I discovered today while cleaning my chrome.
    Looks like this is a valve that closes itself when..., how the hell do I know lol.

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Anybody else who has this thing?
    If so can I still change the muffler?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

valve opens 2'nd exhaust pipe at higher revs to give better flow.
    it's closed at low revs to give a quiter exhaust.
    1st thing to try is to disconnect the vacum pipe to the valve which will open the 2nd pipe all the time.
    This alone should change the sound of the exhaust.
    If you still want to change the whole exhaust then you can without any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Looks to me like you've already got a fairly good one.. what will a 'sport' one do for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Thanks Cyborg for the explanation. Did not know.

To JHMEG I was considering to have a muffler to make a bit more noise, not a crazy one, just a bit more.

All the sound in this car is confined under valves and caches etc. When I push hard you clearly hear the engine but almost only from the inside :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

mick.fr wrote: »
    Thanks Cyborg for the explanation. Did not know.
    you clearly hear the engine but almost only from the inside :-)

Yes, please fit a dustbin onto it so that we can all enjoy the noise from the outside rather than just you on the inside...

When I push hard you clearly hear the engine but almost only from the inside :-)
    But you're completely inside when you push the accelerator?

• Advertisement

You know what I meant guys, just a little be more sporty noise.
    Nothing outrageous. I am not a dumb.

I know what you mean. If I had that exhaust I would be leaving it on the car. If nothing else, it's cool: Do you know how many cars have butterfly valves in their exhausts? (not many)

JHMEG wrote: »
    I know what you mean. If I had that exhaust I would be leaving it on the car. If nothing else, it's cool: Do you know how many cars have butterfly valves in their exhausts? (not many)

Yeah yeah I am thinking a swap would be messy anyway, cause it means I would have to make a hole in the new one to fit this valve arm.
    I will concentrate more on a M body kit, which my car does not have.
    Not gonna be cheap this one...Will try to find one from a scrapyard around Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Swapping the exhaust is simple - the mechanism for valve comes off with the backbox, leaving you which a rubber tube which you just need to put out of the way. Go for an eisenmann exhaust when / if you are swapping.

You can buy the sports kit through eBay cheap enough if you're willing to buy parts separately or wait a while for a decent set to come up. I got my full sports kit for last coupe for about €300. Extras like the fogs / mesh etc add up though if they're not included. Your cheapest brand new option is mstyle.co.uk - they'll spray it for you and you just need to fit it, which is a simple job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

Just open the windows a bit - then you'll hear the roar of your engine much more.

• Advertisement

kdevitt wrote: »
    Swapping the exhaust is simple - the mechanism for valve comes off with the backbox, leaving you which a rubber tube which you just need to put out of the way. Go for an eisenmann exhaust when / if you are swapping.

You can buy the sports kit through eBay cheap enough if you're willing to buy parts separately or wait a while for a decent set to come up. I got my full sports kit for last coupe for about €300. Extras like the fogs / mesh etc add up though if they're not included. Your cheapest brand new option is mstyle.co.uk - they'll spray it for you and you just need to fit it, which is a simple job.

Yeah I know those guys, mstyle.co.uk, they are the same price than BMW, so pretty pointless.
    The full M Style body kit at BMW is 1000 euro as well.
    And the other parts are more or less the same price as BMW with shipment included.
    My best option so far it to buy a used one from eBay or from a scrapyard here in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Yeah I know those guys, mstyle.co.uk, they are the same price than BMW, so pretty pointless.
    The full M Style body kit at BMW is 1000 euro as well.
    And the other parts are more or less the same price as BMW with shipment included.
    My best option so far it to buy a used one from eBay or from a scrapyard here in Dublin.

Unless BMW have seriously chopped their prices, Mstyle are alot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

jlang wrote: »
    Just open the windows a bit - then you'll hear the roar of your engine much more.

+1. They sound great as they are. And who cares what they sound like on the outside? The only thing that matters is what you hear when you're driving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

E92 wrote: »
    +1. They sound great as they are. And who cares what they sound like on the outside? The only thing that matters is what you hear when you're driving it!

And you could leave the bonnet open a bit.

kdevitt wrote: »
    Unless BMW have seriously chopped their prices, Mstyle are alot cheaper.

Well check BMW pricing this is the same as those guys
    Kidney grills for example at BMW are about 50 euro.
    The full M-Tech II kit (Front bumper, sides and rear) is about 1000-1100 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

you should consider fitting an induction filter, there cheap and will make it roar

Advertisement