Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nyc

• 19-01-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hey boardsies,

am heading off to new york next month (woo hoo!)
    will be doing a spot of shopping of course

am gonna get jeans anyway, apparently much cheaper over there
    will be looking for size 12s for a pear-shaped gal - any recommendations for brand and shops..?

also looking to pick up some decent, but cheapish vintage/second hand stuff and maybe some makeup (not secondhand obv!)

loaded question i know, but anyone have recommendations for these categories that are a helluva lot cheaper in the US than here?

basically shtuff that'd be worth my while getting while away
    thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jeans are rediculously cheap over there, i'm not a levi's wearing man, but was picking up a couple of pairs for my brother and they were 35-40 dollars. considering they go for 80-100 euros in shops here, it's a big difference.

not sure about shopping in new york, but i anytime i hear someone coming back from there they are full of praise for a place called woodbury common, it's a outlet park outside nyc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kitt13

As far as cosmetics, I would go for the American brands like Estee Lauder and Clinique, which are SO expensive here. Benefit and Stila are also much cheaper. If you go to www.sephora.com, you can get an idea on prices.

As far as jeans, I can't help you because I don't wear them! However, make sure you have her measurements because America has so much vanity sizing. Jeans are very, very personal, kind of like perfume. I would canvass the potential recipient for her views. You don't want to come back with a pair of straightlegs, when she wanted bootcut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I find Guess jeans are good for pear shaped girls. If she has trouble finding jeans that fit her, I wouldn't recommend just buying something that looks like it'd fit.

Go to Sephora or a big department store. Make up is a lot cheaper there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pinklady2

Macys for make-up and clothes also Sephora on Times Square for make-up, Forever 21 do lovely clothes they are next to Macys, Jersey Gardens only 15mins outside new york, no tax on the clothes there unlike Woodbury Common..I found loads of little shops over there just walking around Manhattan.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I was at jersey gardens its massive bound to find something in there!

Gotta get the bus to it though!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Scatman

sorry my name's a bit misleading - i am a girl
    ha. and jean shopping will be for myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I was just in NY and I liked Guess, so have a look there. I also liked 7 (expensive), Joe's Jeans (expensive), both from Bloomies, and I got a pair in a place called Jimmy's. I found Macy's was awful for jeans.
    I'm a size 10-12 but very pear shaped so hope that helps.

Advertisement