Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Value of the Dads A6??

• 19-01-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, my dad has been having a bit of trouble with his A6 lately, and this morning the clutch went on him so it looks as if he has to reluctantly move on. I'd like to get a ball park figure for what he may get for it (more than likely as a trade in).

Its a silver 1.9 TDI 2000 reg A6 estate, with a lot of extras (a/c, climate control, full leather interior, etc). Incredibly comfortable drive as a passenger. There is 143,000 miles up on it AFAIK.

The reason why I can't really go by carzones prices is that one or two things need to be done to it, the clutch obviously being one of the things as of this morning! The front passenger door as of the last month or so won't open for him. No idea why this is?! Possibly electrics or something?

Any ideas as to what trade price he could possibly hope for?

The closest model on carzone I could come across is this
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=855537
    with this one obviously being 2 years younger and less mileage. I could get pics up if needs be.

Any info appreciated lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Did you check what others are asking?

Mileage is very high, and A6 depreciates heavily anyway, so at a guess I'd say 6k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=799718

This is pretty close but I'd regard it has being overpriced by at least €2k (hence why it hasn't sold since October).

Realistically, it might be worth fixing before the sale- clutch is only a consumable same as brakes (if a little more expensive). It could cost €500+ but I think he's have to take at least €1k-€1.5k+ off the asking price to incentivise someone to buy a car from him that they can't drive.

If the car has been reliable and hasn't cost that much in the years he's had it, I wouldn't begrudge it a little TLC. I replied almost identically to someone else recently recently that nobody owes you a maintenance free car and that it basically comes down to a rate per mile. If he's been on the lucky side of the road for a few years it's unreasonable to expect it to be shouldn't100% trouble free.

I had to change a part in the drivers door of my '98 A6 and it didn't cost much

If he is selling it off the paper with clutch gone, unserviced, with several problems probably, little service history €5k-€6k?? Less??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

cantdecide wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=799718

This is pretty close but I'd regard it has being overpriced by at least €2k (hence why it hasn't sold since October). Less??

Yes that is pretty much his car (exact mileage too lol), except that its silver with full leather interior. He won't like the idea of putting close to €1000 into the car if he is going to be selling it on for 8-9k, but then again he may have no choice.

Do ye think he could get a trade value of maybe 5-6k with a dealer? I'd imagine some might chance their arm and give him some spiel about it now working so only offering 3-4k?!

OT, I had always imagined that on carzone, if a car was sold, and the seller just didnt bother updating the ad/removing it, that it would be the reason for such a long period not having been updated?? Surely people dont leave ads unedited for 4+ months?!

If he wants to trade it against the same car but say a '05 for €40k, he'll might get €8k for it.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=855356

If he deems it to be viable to sell it privately for €8k fixed and service, he can barrgain probably €3k+ off the dealer for a 'straight deal'.

If he's looking for a €20k car- he'll find it hard to get anything like it's value as a trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A clutch gone after 143K, perfect : it was a great clutch now get another one. For that car you can get a good clutch kit ( style LUK ) at a decent price and any good independent will sort it for you. The total cost shouldn't be much more than 650 Euro. I'm afraid a good clutch kit for a vw/audi is quite expensive but they last a long time. As for the door : if the opening lever feels like it's attached to nothing it probably needs a cable that links the lever to the lock mechanism and they're dirt cheap.

The car as such is well able to do more than 200k miles without any serious trouble so I'd seriously consider keeping it. You mentioned other trouble as well, what was wrong ?

• Advertisement

....it was a great clutch now get another one....I'd seriously consider keeping it

Exactly- huzzah for the old clutch. Why begrudge it a new one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ya i think ill suggest to him to get a good indo to sort it for him. It really is a beaut of a model so i reckon he should give it a go.
    You mentioned other trouble as well, what was wrong ?

I know the turbo was giving him trouble about a year ago, although I think he got that looked after. Must double check with him regarding that. Regarding everything else it seems pretty much mint tbh.

Advertisement