Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any thoughts on leaflets

Options
  • 19-01-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi
    My partner is hopeing to do a leaflet drop soon. and before we go ahead with the design i thought i would try get some ideas from you guys.

background: carpentry company, wooden floors, doors, fitting kitchens, wordrobes, customer cabinets and storage solutions, decking etc...

what would make you keep leaflet and read it rather than just throwing it out?

any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    also if there is anyone who would be interested in doing the design, please pm me.

kind regards

Sarah

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

PM Sent.

People are going to throw out leaflets anyway, its gone to the stage where people get there postbox full of spam. Some people will keep it, they may need the number later. The leaflet itself should be short, clear and good quality.

Depending on how many your going to get printed - its going to cost. So be prepared to spend money. Shop around - printing prices always varies from business to business. Bulk Orders often come with a discount.

Design - again, be prepared to spend. Its not going to be cheap if done by any company, but prices do vary from place to place. Someone with spare time might put something together here for free, but you gotta make sure that its of good design quality and is printable. Often people get stuff done for free, but its of poor quality to be printed. One chap working in a printing business explained this briefly in another topic for a Calendar Job:: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54553483&postcount=2.

If you have a budget - tell the company your dealing with. They will either work within it if possible, or will not be able to do business with you. If you have a decent budget, most will work within it (or slightly over). If your budget is simply ridiculous - don't expect much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi Sarah,

I'm actually advising some of my clients to distribute business cards rather than leaflets... leaflets have been completely ruined by these leaflet design & distribution companies - they have spoiled it by dropping in a fistful of leaflets at a time... who wants that arriving in your door? It's a false economy going with these guys because whatever chance you had of getting noticed is now lost amid the others and more than likely your leaflet won't even be read.

Good design is essential, it's not a luxury, as your promotional material is going to give a lasting impression of your company.

Hope whatever route you decide on generates plenty of work for your partner!
    Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Just a suggestion, I used www.print24.ie for some flyers and calendars and they are great,

I got 5000 A5 double sided full colour for about E150 thats delivered to your door. 10000 only cost E260, Also i'd go for a good quality of paper something around 150GMS or better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

print24 is a good site if you know what your looking to print (spec wise). Iv not used it myself, as they didn't match my requirements. Iv heard great reviews on them though.

minikin: Like the idea about business cards being handed in instead of a flyer, but my only concern would be since business cards are small they wont be easily spotted if put in the letter box, or easily misplaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sarahp

thanks for your replys,

I was thinking about the business card idea allright but had the same concerns as sullly about them not being spotted.

so was thinking of a flyer with a business card paper clipped on so you can read flyer, throw it out and keep the business card in case you need future work.

print24 sounds like a great price, i have heard mixed reviews on the service.
    i got my business cards done on printing.ie and was very impressed with the service and quality but havn't heard anything on the design aspect of the company.

has anyone had any experience with printing.ie for design?

???

Sarah

• Advertisement

sarahp wrote: »
    print24 sounds like a great price, i have heard mixed reviews on the service.
    i got my business cards done on printing.ie and was very impressed with the service and quality but havn't heard anything on the design aspect of the company.

has anyone had any experience with printing.ie for design?

???

Sarah

From looking, you would be better of getting them done by an actual designer. It seems the site is very like the machines you get in shopping centres but that bit more advanced.

from what i can see printing.ie has actual designers to develope the design for the flyer/business card.

from what i can see printing.ie has actual designers to develope the design for the flyer/business card.

When I looked on the site regarding design, I was being offered a service to design it online as to how I like it. This is a service offered in many machines in shopping centers. If they have an extra service where they have a team to do it - get a price and a portfolio. If there printing is good, im sure there designs are just as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

God their printing prices are excellent - I'm being fleeced by my local guy time to move methinks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

their prices arnt bad alright, they obviously have enough orders to gang up a lot of full colour jobs, although hardly a fast turnaround, 10 working days. Agree with minikin, flyers tend to look rubbish, if possible, spend a little more or target your market more effectively and create a higher quality brochure?

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote: »
    God their printing prices are excellent - I'm being fleeced by my local guy time to move methinks!:D

Im getting it considerably cheaper with my local guy then using print24. For A3 Posters, Full Colour.. 20 at 75c each using my local guy but its about 6euro each on print24. I must be doing something wrong, cant be that much more expensive!

printing.ie are the mcdonalds of print... cheap and cheerful but don't expect quick service, flexibility or anything that's 'not on the menu'

I can't speak for your current print provider but I know that we bend over backwards for our clients, I've often put in a 15 hour day because a client was stuck. Can you instantly get a proof from printing.ie? Can they physically show you the different stocks on offer? Will they advise you if what you're suggesting is a seriously bad idea? What you get from us and what you should get from any decent provider is professionalism rather than drop down lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've been in the print/design business for 8 years in Dublin and it varies so much.

If you know what you want then print24 look great.

Printing.com are a pain in the ass when it comes to sticking by their specs but the quality of their print is excellent.

Personally I prefere to pay a bit more and get full control over my work but for straight forward runs go with print24 .... I dont know how Snap etc stay in business!

minikin wrote: »
    printing.ie are the mcdonalds of print... cheap and cheerful but don't expect quick service, flexibility or anything that's 'not on the menu'

I can't speak for your current print provider but I know that we bend over backwards for our clients, I've often put in a 15 hour day because a client was stuck. Can you instantly get a proof from printing.ie? Can they physically show you the different stocks on offer? Will they advise you if what you're suggesting is a seriously bad idea? What you get from us and what you should get from any decent provider is professionalism rather than drop down lists.

Exactly. Well said.

I have got some advice to distribute a letter instead with a business card attached.

however this means getting letterheads printed firstly.

how come it is more expensive to get letterheads printed than flyers?
    i can't understand it.

how come it is more expensive to get letterheads printed than flyers?

On a standard sra3 sheet you get 2 letterheads up, you get 4 A5 leaflets...
    Half the impressions, half the stock with an A5 flyer.

I agree with the letter idea, use variable data printing to personalise each letter.

thanks for that.
    i just thought since there was a lot more colour involved in the flyers than they would be more expensive.

just want to say thanks to everyone for their great help.

think i am going to roll with the letter idea.
    and hopefully he will get some business from it.

thanks again

Sarah

Isnt a letter to formal for such a business? I do it for Discover Tramore but its not something I would do for my IT & Design business.

sure we will give it a go and measure the sucess.
    not too much to loose if he gets nothing out of it.

Sarah

sure we will give it a go and measure the sucess.
    not too much to loose if he gets nothing out of it.

Sarah

Besides all the cash spent on doing the letter head? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vaxis

minikin wrote: »

Agree, only go with printing.ie if you have deep pockets, no complicated requirements and have no need for anything more than average design. In my experience, you're local printer would give you much better value and service.

Advertisement