Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Computers...

Options
  • 19-01-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Right, now I've turned another year older, it's pressie time!

This year, I'm after a cycle computer. Now, I'm no mad athlete, I really just want to be able to keep a track of what I'm doing (speed, distance, cadence).

A heart rate monitor (or option thereof) would be handy to have, or get in the future.

I don't mind if it can transfer readings to the computer, firstly cos I have a Mac which has poor support from what I've read, and secondly cos I can just take the readings off myself!

Wired or wireless, I don't mind, so long as the readings are accurate... From reading stuff online, the Polar CS200 has mixed reviews, and some say it's not that accurate... any thoughts?

On the Polar website, there seems to be very little difference between the CS100 and CS200, apart from the 7 day recording on the 200 which, as I've said before is not a big deal.

So, which should I go for, the 100, or 200, or are the Cateye one any good? What's the best price/feature point... do I get much more for more money?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

This year, I'm after a cycle computer. Now, I'm no mad athlete, I really just want to be able to keep a track of what I'm doing (speed, distance, cadence).
    Garmin ForeRunner 305 with optional cadence sensor. Does the lot (uses GPS) and you can overlay your ride on Google Earth and see what cadence & heart rate was at each point along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Ebay has some nice ones for around 30 blips. If ur in Dublin ive a mate whos going over to decathlon in France who doesnt mind picking up schtuff for people, and its cheaper over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

use the garmin edge 205 GPS, preety much dos the lot as well, without the heart rate and cadence, doesn't show maps, but you can view the trall you had taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

You wear it like a watch & folks will either think you've been electronically tagged or you're a 100% techno/sports geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Get the Garmin Edge 305 all the way... I have heart rate and cadence as well as the GPS on all the time and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cheers for that... great food for thought there. The Garmins look nice, but a little pricey... am hopefully looking at under a ton...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i use the polar cs200 cad, it has the cadence sensor. im happy with it, you can store data from previous rides as well

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi,

I have a Cateye CC-CD200DW. I got it a very resonable price as most computers with HRM are expensive. The only downside is that there is 7 buttons on it. 4 on the front and 3 on the back. But once you get used to it, it's perfect.

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/252

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd second (or third...) the Garmin 305. I got one just before Christmas and I'm very happy with it. Great for recording training data and where you've been. Works perfectly with a Mac, either with Garmin's own software or with Ascent which is better. http://www.montebellosoftware.com/

You can get them cheap on eBay these days.

Advertisement