Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapidshare.

Options
  • 19-01-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Anyone having problems accessing Rapidshare tonight?

I'm on my last couple of days with Ice - could they be blocking it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Not working for me either, on NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

im having trouble now, got BT BB

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Rapidshare is down altogether, nothing to do with your ISP, heres hoping it comes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Thanks guys!

Didn't think Ice were the blocking type - I don't like 'em too much but at least they're okay when it come to allowing access to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Heres one:
    Update on wiki 17:45 gmt

As of 19 January 2008 16:00 GMT, Rapidshare AG's servers were shutdown by anti-piracy authorities in Germany. More than hundreds of Rapidshare servers were seized from their offices in Berlin although no arrests were made. Sources said, authorities are contemplating pursuing legal action against users who distribute and download pirated copies of software and movies from these servers.

Issues

Some ISPs intentionally block sharing sites like RapidShare to make better use of bandwidth.

On 19 January 2007, news broke that German collections agency GEMA had claimed to have won a temporary injunction against both RapidShare.de and RapidShare.com. "The latter is said to have used copyright protected works of GEMA members in an unlawful fashion,".[4] To date RapidShare has claimed not to have any knowledge of the content uploaded by the users and of not being in a position to control the content. Through its injunctions the District Court in Cologne had now however made it clear to the company that the fact that it was the users and not the operator of the services that uploaded the content onto the sites did not, from a legal point of view, lessen the operator’s liability for copyright infringements that occurred within the context of the services, the spokesman added. Currently rapidshare is not working.

Edit: Source found - http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/83948

Both RapidShare.de and RapidShare.com sites are currently still operating and the consequences, if any, of the claimed injunction have yet to be seen. So far, they have not been sued.

Another Notice from RS: We are sorry for the problems caused by a major crash, at 5pm our servers went down by a massive d-dos attack, this made our server crash. The only way to solve this problem is by formatting all our storage (1,6 petabyte in total). We where able to restore rapidshare accounts but all files need to be reuploaded, Greetz Rs Staff

Another:

As of 19 January 2008 16:00 GMT, Rapidshare's servers appear to be offline. There are rumors that Rapidshare has been shut down by the authorities after a court order, however, court records do not reveal any issued Rapidshare court order as of yet. Rapidshare technician Steven Gircham has commented on this issue - "There are rumors concerning attacks made on the Rapidshare.com servers. There are also rumors that Rapidshare has been shut down by a court order. These rumors are false. We would like to apologize to our users and inform them that no data has been lost. There have been some hardware issues as a result of high bandwidth and server overload. We are doing our very best to resolve the hardware issues, and users should expect uptime by midnight tonight (GMT)"

And another:
    Furthermore, Rapidshare was forced to use a new anti-piracy tool which detects filenames, also within archives, and compares them to warez release announcement sites, torrent listings and eDonkey links. If the filenames match, the tool will automatically delete them. This tool will run for the next five hours to delete everything possible. Premium and Collector's accounts will not be lost, but no one will use them after nearly everything will be deleted (there are only less than 2% legal files hosted on the RapidShare servers).

Got these off another forum. 3 different stories

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Nice Research Shamrogue, very interesting, it was only time that RS was going to end up being shutdown or change in policy. dame it's an excellent service as regards speed and bandwidth. a well, the dissapointing thing is, not RS rivel sites will benfit. e.g megaupload, filefactory etc..

Wonder why nothing is being done about the other big ones, megaupload, filefactory, gigasize, depositfiles etc. It had to be rapidshare. Hopefully its just a hardware fault. Imagion if they had to format their 1.9 petabytes. Who would use rapidshare then? Itd take a nice amount of time to re-up a respectable amount of data to draw in their market again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

rapidshare.de is still up so i find it hard to believe .com was taken down by authorites and they'd leave the .de site up

you can still (kinda) view the site via IP - 80.239.151.250

They either got DOS attacked, and are having trouble getting there DNS working or they want it to at least appear that way. At the moment, it would appear that they where NOT taken down by any "anti-piracy originizations"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/8460.cfm

Only a matter of time now....

Dont know what I would do without rapidshare, maybe megashares :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

my 2 cents...

I have been following this since the site went down at around 4.30pm today and there has been a *lot* of what I believe to be incorrect information floating around on different forums, including the info in Shamrogue's post above. As everyone knows the Wikipedia entry can be edited by anyone, and there is no definite source given for most of the 'official' comments posted in the Wiki.

First off the much quoted article on GEMA obtaining an injunction against Rapidshare.com is an article that was published exactly a year ago, on 19th January 2007. The link to the actual news item which was published by Heise Online is : http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/83948. Note that this is accessible via the News Archive section, and there is *not* a typo in the article that should read 19th January 2008 as some people are saying.

The fact that Rapidshare.de is still fully functional also indicates that the reason Rapidshare.com is offline is most likely *not* for legal reasons, but due to a technical problem. And this technical problem as previously mentioned is more than likely due to a denial of service attack.

The post which made most sense to me from reading about this (and coming from a networking background) is as follows:
    Here's a network point of view on rapidshare.com's inaccessibility:

rapidshare.com (web and DNS) is hosted on a net block of 195.122.131.0 - 195.121.131.255 (also referred to as 195.122.131/24 CIDR in network terms) which is part of a larger block 195.122.128.0 - 195.122.191.255 owned by Level3 UK service provider. It appears Level3 is blocking inbound traffic destined for 195.122.131.0/24 at the edge of their network where they peer with other service providers and dropping all rapidshare.com traffic such as DNS, web, etc. This is not something that's normally done for routine maintenance or upgrades so there has to be a serious reason for taking such drastic measure and the only two that make sense are denial-of-service or legal. If the inaccessibility issue has been intermittent then it hints at denial-of-service but if it's abrupt then possibly legal. My bet is on denial-of-service since rapidshare.de (web hosted by Cogent ISP in US, DNS in DE and NL) is up and serving files. I'm really surprised rapidshare.com didn't invest some of the money they're raking in on making their services more immune to denial-of-service and more fault tolerant somewhat like rapidshare.de has done. Maybe they've finally realized and are doing a major redesign.

I expect Rapidshare.com will be back online int the coming day(s) and really doubt whether they need to delete all their current content - a denial of service attack usually will not interfere with content of a server(s) but rather try and crash the network with too much traffic essentially.

Ah yeah, it kinda seemed to me as if it was a technical difficulty. Was only informing of the possible reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Posted on rslinks.org

Rapidshare down?
    Found this on Wikipedia:
    "As of 19 January 2008 16:00 GMT, Rapidshare's servers appear to be offline. There are rumors that Rapidshare has been shut down by the authorities after a court order, however, court records do not reveal any issued Rapidshare court order as of yet. Rapidshare technician Steven Gircham has commented on this issue - "There are rumors concerning attacks made on the Rapidshare.com servers. There are also rumors that Rapidshare has been shut down by a court order. These rumors are false. We would like to apologize to our users and inform them that no data has been lost. There have been some hardware issues as a result of high bandwidth and server overload. We are doing our very best to resolve the hardware issues, and users should expect uptime by midnight tonight (GMT)"

RSLinks.org: We cannot confirm if this information is correct

Server seems still up:
    Rapidshare.com http://80.239.151.250/

News about RS.COM Shutdown: http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212125521.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

http://soufron.typhon.net/spip.php?article177

seems as though the legal acion rumour is BS. theres alredy been a judgement in favour of Rapidshare v GEMA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3 Just Bought Them

....and just sent in their l33t networking team to run the infrastructure.

Not 3!!! Nooooo

Found some more positive news
    FACTUAL INFO: The errors that Rapidshare are currently experiencing are DNS errors (FACT!). In layman's terms: The domain rapidshare.com is not pointing (forwarding) to the IP 80.239.151.250. This is a DNS issue. It means that the rapidshare site is up (with all files!), but rapidshare.com domain name is not! The hosts file that goes into network drivers is perfectly safe and basically tells Windows to point you to the IP's of rapidshare servers, NOT the domains - example of the first few lines of the file below:

Quote:
    80.239.151.231 db1.rapidshare.com
    80.239.151.232 db2.rapidshare.com
    80.239.151.233 db3.rapidshare.com
    80.239.151.234 db4.rapidshare.com
    80.239.151.235 db5.rapidshare.com

simple and effective. I am currently downloading from RS at normal speed!

Okay folks - To clear this all up. This is 100% a DNS error! There is NO error with the RS servers, it is a DNS error! This means that the domain (rapidshare.com) is not correctly pointing to the servers. The servers are up! The problem lies between the route from domain to server, and there is NO problem with the servers!

The site works by I.P (http://80.239.151.250/), but doesn't display properly because it tries to call css files and images from rapidshare.com (which is not pointing correctly to 80.239.151.250). The hosts file updates windows - telling it to forward rapidshare.com, rs0cg.rapidshare.com, kvm5.rapidshare.com and all the other rapidshare domains to their IP's (the currently responding servers).

If you have a mac, you can try downloading your file by finding the server where it is hosted, e.g. http://rs59cg.rapidshare.com/files/8...-lol.part2.rar and look in the hosts file. We look in the hosts file for the server rs59cg.rapidshare.com, and find it's IP is 82.129.39.60. Then try http://82.129.39.60/files/84419475/n...-lol.part2.rar. That is a mac fix (more complex, but it works - TESTED).

The DNS issues will probably be resolved within 24 hours anyway!

Download this file and put it in the folder above. (I saved the original just incase)
    http://anonym.to/?http://www.xup.in/dl,15733470/hosts.zip/
    Close your browser
    Start run 'ipconfig /flushdns'
    And run the browser again.

Oh, and then it works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The rapidshare.com domain is working for me now :)

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    The rapidshare.com domain is working for me now :)

Nick

Is that after downloading that file and running ipconfig....?

Shamrogue wrote: »
    Is that after downloading that file and running ipconfig....?
    No m8, the name servers are actually back up and running it seems :)

Nick

Rapidshare news:
    Unfortunately, starting at 5 pm CET, one of our carriers experienced a severe technical problem with their hardware, causing a loss of 50 gigabit of bandwidth. Therefore RapidShare was unavailable for several hours. We already have taken steps to avoid this particular problem in the future.

Unfortunately, starting at 5 pm CET, one of our carriers experienced a severe technical problem with their hardware, causing a loss of 50 gigabit of bandwidth. Therefore RapidShare was unavailable for several hours. We already have taken steps to avoid this particular problem in the future.
    Must have been d DOSed so :D, Very quick to get back up in fairness to em, I'd say ppl with current premium accounts will be relieved!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just bought one on wednesday *phew*.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

From Rapidshare news;

20. January 2008 - Problems accessing RapidShare
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Thanks for the post about the dns, was wondering for ages why rapid share wasnt working, thought my isp blocked it or something!

Advertisement