Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Poor Car got Hit by Some Idiot

Options
  • 19-01-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Walking out of college last day to my car I almost got a heart attack when I saw the state of my front passenger wing. Some idiot backed into it leaving a huge dent (About 20cm by 20cm in size and 10cm deep).
    This was the car:

371621097a5499497729l.jpg

(Don't have a photo of the dent just yet)

It is my pride and joy and I am not going to leave some twat get away with this just because they could not drive properly. They could have left a note with insurance details or anything but nothing!

Anyways looking around I found CCTV near my car. Went to care takers office and they realized how much I wanted to get this idiot caught so they are going to go through 6 hours of footage for me and if they catch anything they'll put it on DVD for me so I can bring it to the police.

My question is - Is it a big offense to walk off after hitting someone like this? - Can I do anything once I find the person?

Another problem is these MGs mk2's arnt' the most common so getting a wing will be difficult. There is one on Ebay without the wheel arch and vent but unfortunately my wheel arch is dented as well. I'm disgusted :( - hopefully the panel beater will be able to do something.

I mean you spend so much time looking after your car and then it only takes a second for some person like this to come a long and spoil it all!

Ne ways thanks guys :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I hope you find him!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Wow, Sorry for your trouble man!!!!
    Your question about leaving the scene of an accident? yes it is an offence and hopefully you can find out who did it and hopefully they have insurance!
    Best of luck in catching the fu**er

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That is the ultimate act of self-centredness IMO. Not giving a fvck enough to watch where he's going and then stick you with the bill for his carelessness. Dipsh*ts that can't drive own the roads IMO. There's been too many of these threads lately. People who do this should be sent to jail.

:mad:I hope you catch this guy and shove it in his face...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sue him!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yep i'll definetely let ye know of the outcome. Oh i'll get some satisfaction if I catch him/her. That sort of thing isn't on at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. The back windscreen of my car was smashed and a nice dent was made in the boot. It's very frustrating to have to pay over your own hard-earned money to fix someone else's careless mistake. Hopefully the CCTV will help you to track down the culprit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do the security guys actually have a camera pointed in the direction of the car when parked or are they just hoping the'll see somebody speeding off looking over their shoulder...?

The car park is full of cameras. The people could have taken off towards the camera near my car. It would have being the closest exit. Theres a good chance if they go that way but if they go other way another camera will catch them. There is 3 levels, 2 cameras on each level. So they will have to pass at least 2 to get out.

Even if I get a Car color/model etc, I could see the car around again. (Its a college by the way) so they will have to come back, hopefully with same car. Worth trying to catch them anyways. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Webmonkey wrote: »
    The car park is full of cameras. The people could have taken off towards the camera near my car. It would have being the closest exit. Theres a good chance if they go that way but if they go other way another camera will catch them. There is 3 levels, 2 cameras on each level. So they will have to pass at least 2 to get out.

Even if I get a Car color/model etc, I could see the car around again. (Its a college by the way) so they will have to come back, hopefully with same car. Worth trying to catch them anyways. Fingers crossed.

Any update on this?

Hey man, nah - would you believe there was a big rain drop right where my car was parked so couldn't see a thing. Would be my luck alright!

I pulled the dent out myself and done a DIY paint job. Its acceptable enough now, though I still can't help but notice it but thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

Sorry to hear about your troubles - i know what its like! In our underground carpark someone reversed into my car and drove away!The whole passenger side wing had to be replaced. Luckily i caught the girl who did it - thanks to the CCTV. Here is the interesting thing though... I called the Gardai when i noticed it + they said that because it happened on Private property that they couldnt prosecute the girl. They said however that if it happened outside the complex ie on a public road that they could prosecute her for leaving the scene of an accident!

Long story short though - I got lucky and she had to pay for everything. Shame it didnt work out as well for you M8. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I pulled the dent out myself and done a DIY paint job. Its acceptable enough now, though I still can't help but notice it but thats just me.

Sorry to hear about your problems, do you have a before and after pic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

happened to my mate last year, he caught the woman throug cctv too.
    the garda knocked on her door and told her to settle with my mate whatever it costs or they were charging her with a host of offences, ie leaving the scene of an accident, failing to report an accident, failing to leave details etc etc something like that.

she paid up to my mate withou any questions, didnt try negeotiate or anything just paid what my mate said it was gona cost.

just realised how old this was, sorry to hear that mate!

Yeah thread got pulled up again! , things well now :) - Thanks guys

mossyj wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your troubles - i know what its like! In our underground carpark someone reversed into my car and drove away!The whole passenger side wing had to be replaced. Luckily i caught the girl who did it - thanks to the CCTV. Here is the interesting thing though... I called the Gardai when i noticed it + they said that because it happened on Private property that they couldnt prosecute the girl. They said however that if it happened outside the complex ie on a public road that they could prosecute her for leaving the scene of an accident!

Long story short though - I got lucky and she had to pay for everything. Shame it didnt work out as well for you M8. :(

What was her reaction when she was contacted?

I was sitting in my car in a car park a few months back and this woman started reversing her car out of space. She kept going back and back eventually bumped into my car albeit slowly. She took off without looking over her shoulder when I beeped at her.

Was so pissed off even though there was no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Fúck it that's what the bumpers are for. When I'm in the fiesta if I'm tight for space I'll drive up to the wall, tap it lightly, and back of about an inch.

I remember seeing French drivers parallel parking. They'd drive into the car in front, then reverse into the car behind, then centre it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's called 'Parking by touch'.
    And it's a sign of poor judgement.

wet-paint wrote: »
    Fúck it that's what the bumpers are for. When I'm in the fiesta if I'm tight for space I'll drive up to the wall, tap it lightly, and back of about an inch.

I remember seeing French drivers parallel parking. They'd drive into the car in front, then reverse into the car behind, then centre it.
    Do it to your own car but don't be touching other cars

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wet-paint wrote: »

Thats really god driving practise and does not lead to accidents like in the OP at all.

Mellor wrote: »
    Thats really god driving practise and does not lead to accidents like in the OP at all.

How is bumping into someone better practice than not bumping into someone?

• Advertisement

How is bumping into someone better practice than not bumping into someone?
    Sarcasm id say :)

Advertisement