Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im shipping out to Boston!

• 19-01-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

headin to boston for the summer any1 know wheres a good place to live?:confused: heard different stories about south boston. theres five other lads goin over with me but one of them is only 20 would there be much hassle about that?cheers:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

roxbury/summerville/brighton are all good areas to live in, they are all in west boston but all within 20 minutes of the city centre. i don't know what the prices would be like for accommodation around there though.

stay away from mattapan which is in south boston, i was out there for a graduation, and tbh it was so ganster it was unreal, no taxi would pick up four white people, saw people walking down the street with hands down their trousers (i don't think they were doing the D4 scratch tbh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Cremo wrote: »
    saw people walking down the street with hands down their trousers (i don't think they were doing the D4 scratch tbh).

ha gas never heard that one before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

i stayed in back bay fens beside fenway park. was a grand area and right by the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

we staye out by fenway too great part of the city little more exspensive but really nice dont worry too much about distnce everywhere is near the t ull be downtown in 10 minutes from most places, boston is relativly small anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

headin to boston for the summer any1 know wheres a good place to live?:confused: heard different stories about south boston. theres five other lads goin over with me but one of them is only 20 would there be much hassle about that?cheers:cool:

Stayed across the river in Cambridge near MIT, around Harvard is also a good area and you can get cheap accomodation as all the students are gone. Plus the shops in those areas tend to more for students so are cheaper. There are great transport links into the city. TBH the city centre around downtown crossing is very run down and wouldn't like to live around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Anyone got any advice on good places to work? is a 20 year old allowed work in a bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

id recommend the aquarium not great pay but loads of young ppl easy easy work fairly laid back as well....worked in furniture moving for a while decent money but horrible work real antoi social hours also u wont be able to work in a bar at 20

also u wont be able to work in a bar at 20

Not all states are 21. It's mostly the south and western states. The east is a lot less stricter. You can work in a bar from the age of 18 in Massachussetts. So you'll be fine in Boston. And i also wouldn't worry too much about drinking there either. My brother is only 19 and was there last summer and had no problems. And he doesn't even look that old. I also never remember being asked for ID while there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Not all states are 21. It's mostly the south and western states. The east is a lot less stricter. You can work in a bar from the age of 18 in Massachussetts. So you'll be fine in Boston. And i also wouldn't worry too much about drinking there either. My brother is only 19 and was there last summer and had no problems. And he doesn't even look that old. I also never remember being asked for ID while there either.

would you reckon a fake irish id would work?

Do you mean to drink in the pubs over there? Or to get a job? If you are 18 or over you'll be grand getting a job in a bar in Boston. As for drinking it all depends. The east coast is a little more relaxed than the west as far as i found so they may not sructinize ID's that much. But if you do get asked for ID's and the person is strict they won't accept a college ID or an Irish drivers license as they don't contain our eye color or height/weight. I wasn't able to buy cans in a shop in california last year with my passport. So it's all luck really. I can imagine you'll find somewhere that you will get served in. but be prepared to get told you can't go in while mates over 21 are allowed.

• Advertisement

I worked in a restaurant that served alcohol when I was 20 so doesn't seem to be any restrictions there, could only get served in a handful of pubs though, one of which was The Irish Embassy. They are very strict over there. I've been in Boston and New York in the last month and got id evey time even though I'm 28 now! College id's don't seem to work, a usit card probably would though.

there isnt like a us version of boards.ie where i could find out more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

#15 wrote: »

there isnt anyother ones its just that one isnt that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Thanks for the info, none of us is 21 bar one so at least we're all in the same boat! Is there the same party atmosphere in boston as in california? From what i hear it doesnt matter if you never go to a bar 'cause everyone spends the nights on the cali beaches. House parties big in boston? Any advice on where to stay? Campus accomodation, Meathlass?

Brods wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, none of us is 21 bar one so at least we're all in the same boat! Is there the same party atmosphere in boston as in california? From what i hear it doesnt matter if you never go to a bar 'cause everyone spends the nights on the cali beaches. House parties big in boston? Any advice on where to stay? Campus accomodation, Meathlass?

We had house parties most nights. I went on my own but ended up living with lots of illegal Mexicans so none of us had proper id but at least they were over 21. Found it difficult to even buy alcohol as I looked quite young. You'll have to get your mate to buy drink for everyone! Can't help with accomodation I'm afraid, maybe google Harvard campus?

Advertisement