Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Soccer Injuries??

• 19-01-2008 9:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

Don't know if this is the most appropriate place to put this or not but mods feel free to move.

I was playing soccer last night (in goal) and during a corner up the other end of the pitch I heard a massive crunch followed by one of the opposing teams players screaming in agony. I ran up straight away and he dislocated his knee pretty badly. It then got me wondering about Soccer injuries that I have seen etc. Now I want to know what is the worst soccer injury you guys have ever seen and not with professional players/teams etc just you average local teams. Maybe there is even a couple of bad ones that the lads on the boards team may have seen??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I broke my leg playing against Joes...that was probably the worst that happened to me.

Eh I seen some guys knee completely twisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I saw an ankle snapped so that the foot was hanging like a loose sock. Not mine thankfully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ouch, I'd say breaking your leg hurt like hell??

Thank god I've never had a real bad injury, typical cuts and bruises and the odd knock here and there.

I also remember one person I saw playing ball went in with a sliding tackle and didn't know there was a bit of glass on the pitch!! There was blood everywhere.

Ouch that glass sounds horrible.

The thing with the leg was that the pan slowly built up, when it happened I thought I could play on, needless to say I did not. I thought it would take years to heal, luckily I was grand within 8 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

First time I ever went to one of my neighbour's teams matches (he's about 5 years older than me) he broke his leg, quite badly. It was bent out of shape and everything. He was just screaming, sick as hell. He has since kindly asked me to refrain from attending his matches due to the luck I brought him. :)

• Advertisement

My mum always said 'break a leg' before my matches, I never thought her prophecy would materialise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i actually broke a guys leg in a challenge when i was 15 it was the worst thing i have ever seen it was like a big bubble were it was broke it was terrible and to make thing worse it was the last minute of a meaningless friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Seems to be a common bad one but ive seen a dislocated kneecap too. Was not a nice sight. Took the guy nearly 2 years to even walk properly again.

Have also seen a goalkeeper landing on one knee, it buckled and he just caved. Had done all his ligaments in the knee and chipped some bones.

And im currently out long term with some bad knee ligs myself from a roy keane-esque tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Had my collarbone broken. Apparently looked fairly bad and was accompanied by a loud crack.

Saw my brother tear his cruciate as well. Was really weird looking, he was just running tracking a man, then turned suddenly, but his boot stayed stuck in the ground as he turned and the next thing he was on the ground screaming in pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

was playing afl last year and one of our cbs broke a guys leg in the first half with a 50/50 challenge and then dislocated a guys knee in the second half by diving for a header and getting yourmans knee. it was completely out of place. there was a delay of 20 mins in the first half for an ambulance and then when the second happened the match was abandoned!!

wasnt even a nasty game but that was his second and third broken leg of the season.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Saw my brother tear his cruciate as well. Was really weird looking, he was just running tracking a man, then turned suddenly, but his boot stayed stuck in the ground as he turned and the next thing he was on the ground screaming in pain!

did that to myself two yeas ago was my mcl though. painful stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

see a shin bone break protruding from skin before horrible horrible thing to see, the guy just went white and into shock, blood came out weird from it.

Also seen chris hughton shatter his nephews shoulder, his arm was like a floppy dolls, like when you put your arms inside your jumper and flap your sleeves, except for the guy screaming in pain as he tried to catch his arm.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Call_me_al wrote: »
    wasnt even a nasty game but that was his second and third broken leg of the season.

And you played for?? I just want to make sure i avoid possible fixtures :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i broke my ankle a few years back went in for a 50/50 tackle,wasnt a crunching tackle or anything and it just snapped whatever way i caught it.it was just hanging on completly twisted .3 breaks and ruined some tentons.needed 2 pins and a plate in it , they r there for life and it still swells up sometimes, 5yrs later.
    saw a mate of mine snap his shin bone it was horrible he was on crutches for a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

In an u15s cup match, I did a pretty horrific sliding tackle on the opposition winger and badly injured my knee (yup, Gazza-style) - the knee just ballooned in size over the next few hours. I was on crutches for a month and not playing football for another 3.

Actually the worst part of it (other then the freaking pain!) was that the opposition scored the winning goal from the resulting free kick :o
    jonny24ie wrote:
    I also remember one person I saw playing ball went in with a sliding tackle and didn't know there was a bit of glass on the pitch!! There was blood everywhere.
    That would have to be the thing I definitely feared most when playing schoolboy football - broken glass, ughhhh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

KdjaCL wrote: »
    ....blood came out weird from it.
    How, weird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've seen a lad do the whole dislocated knee thing at training. Looked absolutely horrible. One or two of the boys got sick from seeing it.

While I haven't had any bad ones myself I did inflict one. Was playing for UCD amateurs in a friendly against DCU freshers and the ball broke loose in midfield. I'd be quite strong in the tackle so went for a 50-50. The other lad wasn't. I went through the ball just as he made contact with the other side and his knee just went. It was horrible. Not a bad tackle or anything, just he didn't put his whole weight into behind it. Heard the next week it was a cruciate.

Advertisement