Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Standards!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

This is prob a bit odd coming from a guy but I actually can't stand the fact if a guy goes out and is with loads of women or has sex with loads of women, he is classed as a "legend" or "lucky" (not mine or my friends words there) but if a girl does it she is a slut or called worse I can't understand that. If a girl wants to go out and have fun, jez let her.

Maybe someone can answer me this on the insurance thing and correct me if I'm wrong, the likes of Shelas Wheels do they provide car insurance ONLY to women, surely that isn't allowed right, I mean ok give them cheaper insurance if its proven that women are less likely in an accident but you have to provide the service to a guy as well?

Here is another one coming from Tom Dunnes thread and god Im fighting the girls corner today :p
    Why is it ok for a man / woman to think about having a threesome with their partner with a memeber of the same sex as their partner but not with same sex as themselves. ie Most guys would love a FFM threesome but as soon as the girl goes ok that was fun now itsa time for MMF threesome the lad runs a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Maybe someone can answer me this on the insurance thing and correct me if I'm wrong, the likes of Shelas Wheels do they provide car insurance ONLY to women, surely that isn't allowed right, I mean ok give them cheaper insurance if its proven that women are less likely in an accident but you have to provide the service to a guy as well?
    afaik they were brought to court over it, and now have to provide insurance to men too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I do take your point, but it still doesn't explain why male insurance is "pushed through the roof" and women's insurance isn't.

It would just take one provider to slash male insurance (in a Ryanair-like move) to push others to do the same.
    So why isn't that happening?

It's a highly regulated industry (read tied up market if you are cynical) and the insurance companies will always seek to maximise their profits while pretending to have legitimate public interest concerns (the Personal Injuries Assesment Board, for example) and it is therefore very difficult to break into. But it also seems to me that male insurance premiums shot up about 7/8 years ago but they went up too high and have come down dramatically since then. So, back then a young man would pay multiples of what a young woman would pay, but now it has gone down to about 50% more for men.

They don't care about drivers not involved in accidents! That doesn't concern them in the running of a business.

They should, because if they have 1000 male drivers and 5 accidents cause €1,000,000 worth of damage, then male drivers on average are a lesser risk than say 500 women who case 20 accidents at €350,000 each.

Advertisement