Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emmanuel Adebayor - what's wrong with him?

• 19-01-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Am I missing something here or is there a reason I haven't heard more waxing lyrical about this guy.

I see he has 15 goals in 22 league appearances this season and having watched him three times now he seems to have just about everything. Good on the ground, good in the air, good first touch, good pace - what doesn't the guy have?

Just seems he's a VERY understated player while people talk this season about Tevez, Torres, Anelka and Keane.

Even myself, I keep wondering what will Arsenal be like when Van Persie returns, but now I'd say EA is the first choice striker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh, I liked him more when he was called Kanu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I had him in my team of the year so far so count me out of that group who don't **** much about him :cool:

If there was 1 criticism it's that he isn't that consistent, but recently he has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Unearthly wrote: »
    If there was 1 criticism it's that he isn't that consistent, but recently he has been.
    So he's inconsistantly inconsistant?

psi wrote: »
    So he's inconsistantly inconsistant?

Only recently;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've never liked him since WC06. He seems to be an arrogant little fecker, he's scoring for fun though but with the amount of chances Arsenal create, whoever plays up front would be too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

The Ronaldo show has gone overboard, even Torres doesnt seem be getting a lot of media attention apart from the reports on the game's he has played

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I don't know.....I think he's regarded as one of the top strikers in the league this season by most. Just the other night, me and my mates were coming up with our 'team of the season so far', we agreed upon Adebayor up front with Torres.

I never thought much of him before this season tbh, but he has been stellar this season, and 15 goals in 22 games proves this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think adebayor is a "top, top player". He is one of the strikers in the league I would love to see at United. He has a decent turn of pace, is decent in the air, and has really quick feet which allow him to get out of tights spots and hold the ball up well. Scores some great goals but i do think he could be a bit more clinical in front of goal. I think he is quite under-rated. In fact i rate him a lot more than my Arsenal supporting brother does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

it cause he iz black

But seriously, I think it's because he isn't the best player in his team. Also this board is pretty United and Liverpool focused, so you'll see a bit of a bias.

He's kinda living in Ronaldo's shadow to an extent. 15 goals so far this season is an absolutely amazing return. Fantastic really. Infact, I wonder how many people have ever got that many goals in 22 games. If he was top scorer, a lot more would be made of him.

I think it's because he kinda looks decidely average in terms of passing when it comes to the Arsenal team, as such, when you watch him, you kinda think he's ****, even though he's probably one of the best passing center forwards in the country.
    Also he's not the best player in the team, which means he won't get much credit, as everything will be focused on Fabregas.

That said, there is something to be made of him being kinda inconsistant, or more accurately, he's a sprinter not a long distance runner. In the last 4 games he's scored 6 goals. In the 17 games before that, he scored 4. Then in the 6 games before that he scored 6. I think you get a bit more credit if you score more spread out, as you are a constant force in peoples minds, rather than 3 or 3 times player of the month, then very quiet inbetween.

I do however think Van Persie is better than him, but then again, I think Van Persie is possibly the best forward in the premiership, so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Saw him today at Craven Cottage.

And he's freakin' fast :eek:

Anyway, he's Arsenals main point of attack now, and seems to have taken that on with aplomb. But once V. Persie steps back in, will he play as well not being the main man? Or have the two played together much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Emmanuel Adebayor - he ain't Henry. ;)

He's not a "classical" striker, he is'nt a thing of beauty he just scores. Like Kanu.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he has really impressed me this year, more so than almost any other player. super player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

psi wrote: »
    Am I missing something here or is there a reason I haven't heard more waxing lyrical about this guy.

I see he has 15 goals in 22 league appearances this season

In all comps its 15 from 27. Still a really good return. I have to hold my hands up and say that I didn't rate him that highly before this season. He has surprised and impressed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Still only 22 as well. :)

cson wrote: »
    Still only 22 as well. :)

Not quite, he is 23. 24 in a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

its kind of the same debate over who would get in whos squad.say for example if liverpool had keane and all the other team stayed the same,adabayour wouldnt get a starting place in any of the other top 4 simply becuase he isnt as good as torres,drogba,tevez etc.

other strikers will win games for teams,the ones i named above,adabayour wont .simple as .he isnt as good(he is a good player though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've had arguments with Arsenal fans about him. i think he's the primary reason Arsenal are challenging this year. whether or not he scores isn't important to the team as a whole, he just contributes so much all around, especially in the way he brings the others into play to a much greater extent i feel than the other top strikers in the Prem (with the exception of the Utd. boys perhaps). most of who i talk to among me mates seem to think i'm giving him too much credit... meh... maybe i am, and i suppose his recent success is in as much how Arsene deploys him rather than his own individual ability. Still, he's an absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

His finishing could be better alright, but his overall play is quite good. Holds the ball up well, which is something Arsenal have used to good effect this year. He's going through a great patch at the moment, hopefully it can continue. I still wouldn't rate him above Van Persie, Rooney, Tevez, Torres, Drogba, but he's getting the goals at the moment so can't argue with that. Probably is Arsenal's first choice now, but that might have more to do with Van Persie being unable to stay fit for more than a couple of months.

Still, very decent player... and he's come on a long way since last season. He's still fairly young so he could improve again. At the beginning of the season if you'd told me Van Persie would barely play, and Eduardo would do nothing for the 1st half of the season, I would have been fairly worried having to rely on Adebayor. But he's been up to the challenge. Definitely surprised me how much he's improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

dc69 wrote: »
    its kind of the same debate over who would get in whos squad.

What? No it isn't?

dc69 wrote: »
    its kind of the same debate over who would get in whos squad.say for example if liverpool had keane and all the other team stayed the same,adabayour wouldnt get a starting place in any of the other top 4 simply becuase he isnt as good as torres,drogba,tevez etc.

other strikers will win games for teams,the ones i named above,adabayour wont .simple as .he isnt as good(he is a good player though)

heh. Eh, what ?

Stay away from boards when you've been on the sauce man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Whats with all the RVP lovin'. Theres no way he should even be mentioned with the other great strikers in the league. Yeah hes a great player, very talented and his style is suited at gunners.

But lets check the numbers, hes scored 26 goals in 80 games for arsenal since '04. Look at adebayour, 27 in 63 games since '06.

Maybe RVP does other stuff better but in regards to the leagues top STRIKERS,
    Keane just got 100th for spurs,
    Rooney just shy of 50 for man yoo
    Drogba also just shy of 50 for chelsea
    Torres 11 already (scored 82 for atheltico)
    could go on and on but you get the point.

Again not knocking him as a player, he is good but he's not in the upper tier of the leagues strikers.

p.s even Bobby Zamorra has scored 29 for the hammers :P

Being too Injury prone holds him back from being considered as a 'top top player' /Redknapp.

League starts

07/08 - 7
    06/07 - 17
    05/06 - 13
    04/05 - 12

same could be said for say saha who has also scored a lot more goals than RVP.

Saha has an almost identical record since he joined United

reckon if RVP could stay injury free he'd be in the top 3 players in the world in three years. The lad is a class class act. If i could pick anyone in the league to take to Liverpool, if would be a fit RVP.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    reckon if RVP could stay injury free he'd be in the top 3 players in the world in three years.

How very specific! Do you have a crystal ball ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Whats with all the RVP lovin'.

seriously, have you not seen what he can do? he's got unbelieveable talent.

Saha has an almost identical record since he joined United

Thats kinda my point, noone really considers him on of the leagues top strikers so why RVP. The point i was initially getting at is that adebayour is currently one of the leagues best strikers, technically on goals he is top with ronnie being a winger.

Do you think wenger would drop adebayour for RVP if he came back now? If not who would he take out? Doubt either Cesc of Flamini, Hleb or Rosicky?

He'd take out Eduardo, pretty simple. He wouldn't swap him for Adebayor at the moment cos if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But he's a better player, and unbelievably talented. There's more to being a striker than goalscoring you know. Dennis Bergkamp was never that great a goalscorer either, still one of the best players ever to play in the Premier League.

• Advertisement

Van Persie is undoubtedly better than Adebayor. The problem is, hes rarely fit.

Tusky wrote: »
    How very specific! Do you have a crystal ball ?

sorry, should have said, "i reckon he will", jesus you're busting my chops tonight aint ya?:(

*actually i did say i reckon?!

He'd take out Eduardo, pretty simple. He wouldn't swap him for Adebayor at the moment cos if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But he's a better player, and unbelievably talented. There's more to being a striker than goalscoring you know. Dennis Bergkamp was never that great a goalscorer either, still one of the best players ever to play in the Premier League.

201 career goals beg to differ says dennis, 121 of which were with the gooners. But i take your point i just dont think hes in league with rooney, torres, drogs et al.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    sorry, should have said, "i reckon he will", jesus you're busting my chops tonight aint ya?:(

hehe. Sorry man. I didn't mean for it to come across as harsh. I found the comment funny!

I recon Babel will be the 14th best player in the world in 4.5 years.

14th best?! sure he's already better than Ronaldo! ;)

201 career goals beg to differ says dennis, 121 of which were with the gooners. But i take your point i just dont think hes in league with rooney, torres, drogs et al.

Don't want to be pedantic here but Van Persies league goals to games ratio is about 1 in 3. Bergkamps was about 1 in 3.5 for Arsenal. If he could stay fit then I'd say Van Persie would be the best striker in the league, or definitely one of. Unfortunately he can't. I'd give him one more season to prove he can stay fit before having to accept that he'll never play more than about 25 games a season.

Anyway this is supposed to be about Adebayor so I'll shutup now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I remember seeing something on TV where Ferguson was asked what player he would choose if he could have any player in the PL - he choose Adebayor.. He is a very very good player and will only improve with age. His only failing is that he is he misses too many chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Adebayor is still fairly inconsistent, though he's gradually improving.

Man United liking Adebayor wouldn't surprise me as he is the type of player that would dovetail with Tevez or Rooney perfectly.

Regarding van Persie, his goals:games ratio is deceptively low because he has spent a lot of his early career at Arsenal on the left wing, and a large number of his apppearances have been brief cameos as a substitute. Wonderful talent but I'm getting worried about his inability to stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

seriously, have you not seen what he can do? he's got unbelieveable talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmy-grHyIG8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I like him as a player, seems to be alot more consistent now. I remember reading somewhere that Rio Ferdinand named him as the stiker that he has the toughest time with as he is so strong and quick and he can be quite unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He's deceptively fast for a lanky lad. He scores headers too :eek: An Arsenal player that scores headers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

is he playing in the African Nations Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

dubmick wrote: »
    is he playing in the African Nations Cup?
    Nope, Togo didnt qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nope, Togo didnt qualify.

Thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Rooney doesn't exactly light up the scoring charts for the new pele/best striker in England/great white hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

friend of mine is an arsenal fan and he hates adebayor with a passion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

redzerdrog wrote: »
    friend of mine is an arsenal fan and he hates adebayor with a passion

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Definitely doesn't make sense to hate your club's top goalscorer. Especially since he doesnt have any particularly arrogant or filthy traits. Well that I've seen anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement