Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emmanuel Adebayor - what's wrong with him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

redzerdrog wrote: »
    friend of mine is an arsenal fan and he hates adebayor with a passion
    Does he have a reason for hating him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

redzerdrog wrote: »
    friend of mine is an arsenal fan and he hates adebayor with a passion

He's not alone on a few arsenal forums quite a few dislike Ade, most think he's a legend as do i. Main argument i heard was they reckon he's lazy at times and loses the ball too much, b*ll*x in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

He's not alone on a few arsenal forums quite a few dislike Ade, most think he's a legend as do i. Main argument i heard was they reckon he's lazy at times and loses the ball too much, b*ll*x in my opinion.

Haven't really come across that on the Forums I've been on,those that attend matches love him .
    Sometimes if we have not won some will blame him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

gosplan wrote: »
    Rooney doesn't exactly light up the scoring charts for the new pele/best striker in England/great white hope

Thread's not about him so i dont wanna get into it but come on theres no comparison in either stats or just general play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

He's a good striker, although I think sometimes clumsy. He's not as clinical as the likes RVN or Terry Henry.

I saw an interview with Dopey Rio on SKY a few months back, he said Adebayor was the most difficult striker he played against all season.

IPB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Thread's not about him so i dont wanna get into it but come on theres no comparison in either stats or just general play.

just pointing out that goals scored isn't the only thing to rate a striker by though.

I'm going back a page or two here to the RVP comparison though.

I would add that I think that a fully fit RVP would be Rooney's equal - in all but brute uglyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Maybe RVP does other stuff better but in regards to the leagues top STRIKERS,
    Keane just got 100th for spurs,
    Rooney just shy of 50 for man yoo
    Drogba also just shy of 50 for chelsea
    Torres 11 already (scored 82 for atheltico)
    could go on and on but you get the point.
    I don't get the point at all - you can't just take number of goals in isolation. Mark Lawrenson and Fernando Torres have each scored 11 goals for Liverpool - are they equally good goalscorers? And even when you take games played into account, Van Persie has made a lot of sub appearances for Arsenal so it won't be an accurate reflection (you also need to take into account that he was still developing as a player for many of those games).

As for Adebayor, he's got all the attributes you look for in a great striker... sometimes. He scored against Newcastle this season but he was piss poor for the rest of the match and didn't contribute at all. on the other hand, he often plays a great game without scoring... but he's still young and he's already improved his finishing, his workrate and his consistency compared to last year which is a good sign.
    fortuneg wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sfh1rDkht8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

He's just scored an absolute screamer against spurs.

He's starting to remind me of drogs when he first arrived at chelski. Wasn't overly prolific and was lambasted everywhere he went but is now rightly regarded as top drawer. Reckon this guy could be up there shortly.

And im a man yoo fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gosplan wrote: »
    just pointing out that goals scored isn't the only thing to rate a striker by though.

Thats all they are rated on , the name striker is a hint to that fact. If they are one they should score goals its their job.

If general play and assists is their game then they are not strikers.

screamer vs spurs tonight.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think I prefer the word forward. I think Abedeyour is a forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Thats all they are rated on , the name striker is a hint to that fact. If they are one they should score goals its their job.

screamer vs spurs tonight.

kdjac

Nice sarcasm but in fairness, what are you on about? You could at least think before you pounce on the opportunity to be pedantic - but that's not really what boards is about is it?

This, according to your logic, is a list of the strikers who have been better than Rooney this year because 'goals scored is all strikers are rated on'

Adebayor, Benjani, Keane, Torres, Anelka, Santa Cruz, Tevez, Yakubu, Berbatov, Kitson, Agbonlahor, Marcus Bent, Carew, Dempsey, Martins & McCarthy.

Also I take it you're rubbishing the idea of the 'support striker'? - they're all just bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ade is one of the best strikers in the league this year. Better then Torres and Tevez, even Rooney who has been poor enough (again) this year.

I think if Van Persie stayed fit they would make the best partnership by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

jank wrote: »
    even Rooney who has been poor enough (again) this year.
    He helped United win the league and reach the final of the Champions League. This year, again, United look like they'll win the Premier League and make good progress in Europe. Adebayor on the otherhand hasn't (and doesn't look like) winning a single brass button, but yet he's the better player? Get real.

Rooney is world class and probably the one English striker who actually lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

This year, again, United look like they'll win the Premier League .

We will see ;)

• Advertisement

He helped United win the league and reach the final of the Champions League.

I sleep through that champions league final? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

United look like they'll win the premier league... they top the table on goal difference. Getting a bit ahead of yourself there?

He helped United win the league and reach the final of the Champions League. This year, again, United look like they'll win the Premier League and make good progress in Europe. Adebayor on the otherhand hasn't (and doesn't look like) winning a single brass button, but yet he's the better player? Get real.

Rooney is world class and probably the one English striker who actually lives up to the hype.

Really? Rooney is a good player but all the hype seems to have gotten to him.
    Im not the only one who thinks this. I know my own friends who support united think that although he he plays well enough for the most part they are slightly disappointed in his form this year.

Of course that may all change when/if he bangs them in left right and centre a the tail end of the season but so far he is nothing to write home about.
    This may come to as a *shock* to you!!:rolleyes:
    Maybe ronaldo playing so well as taken the lime light off him?!

United are not gaurenteed anything this year just like Arsenal as they are more or less equal pegging, in the same stage in every competition, Level on points in the league.

So how you say with no sarcasim that united will "definately win stuff" and Arsenal will win nothing shows your knowledge (or lack of) of the game!:D Good man!!

I would like to know how you came to the conclusion though that players in line to win stuff are better then players who arent? Ya you may say that the better players go to the clubs that win stuff but its not that black and white as you may want to believe!
    George Weah never played in a world cup, does that make him better then say hmmm Nial Quinn?
    Saha plays for Untied, so is he a better player then say Torres, Berbatov Adebayor...NO!
    reach the final of the Champions League
    Talk about bad timing for such a typo!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

He helped United win the league and reach the final of the Champions League.

What Champions League final has Mr Rooney help Manchester United get to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What Champions League final has Mr Rooney help Manchester United get to?
    The Semi-Final :D

'Ave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

George Weah never played in a world cup, does that make him better then say hmmm Nial Quinn?

Well if you were to look at their City careers you would see that Weah flopped massively while Quinn is a legend. By that benchmark Quinn is the far superior player :D

Adebayors problem is that he's not a team player. Just ask Bentdner.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,13866_3072312,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

what's wrong with him?

He headbutts his team mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tauren wrote: »
    The Semi-Final :D

'Ave it.

brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think people would be silly to argue that Rooney has been playing well this season. He started injuried, had a bad patch, had a great patch, got injured, had a bad patch but is now starting to show signs he is getting back to himself. I would defo have Abedayour in a team of the season ahead of him so far, him and Keane. Doesn't mean I'd pick him in the long term, but this season so far he's been excellent.

PHB wrote: »
    I think people would be silly to argue that Rooney has been playing well this season. He started injuried, had a bad patch, had a great patch, got injured, had a bad patch but is now starting to show signs he is getting back to himself. I would defo have Abedayour in a team of the season ahead of him so far, him and Keane. Doesn't mean I'd pick him in the long term, but this season so far he's been excellent.

Nail on head!

It seems that some words were mentally omitted when my statement was read
    Ade is one of the best strikers in the league this year. Better then Torres and Tevez, even Rooney who has been poor enough (again) this year.

However if Ade hits the same heights next year i may omit them myself!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

catn make up my mind whether i should point out that Ade is not a better striker than Torres.....hhhhhhmmmmmm choices choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Posting untruths would be a bad idea, Alan.

I think u just did Alan!

Nail on head!

It seems that some words were mentally omitted when my statement was read

However if Ade hits the same heights next year i may omit them myself!;)

I'd be wanting him to do a lot better before i'd be doing that. He isn't close to consistent enough. He goes through great purple patches of form, but then won't score for ages - weren't his two goals against Fulham the end of a fairly long goal drought? Personally, I'd prefer a player to score 1 goal every game for 3 games, than score 3 in one game.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Posting untruths would be a bad idea, Alan.

Ah tis ok.Ddelusions of grandeur are not uncommon from him. Poor lad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

i never had much of an opinion of him till i saw his goal against spurs - the flick up and volley -, better than henrys version against utd imo!

weren't his two goals against Fulham the end of a fairly long goal drought? Personally, I'd prefer a player to score 1 goal every game for 3 games, than score 3 in one game.

Tut Tut! You not see his great goal against West Ham??

He has scored in every league since he scored against everton, thats 4 games in a row. 5 league goals in 4 games. His longest drought this year is 5 games. (above stats courtesy of fantasy football). That seems consistent enough for me. In fact find me a more consistent forward this year?!

He has been injured at the start of the season so he missed 2 games, so his strike rate in the league so far is 15 goals in 21 games. Not bad at all!

If you swaped his name with Drogba people would be calling him world class, best striker in the league etc etc.

With him being only quite young 23 for that type of striker IMO he can only improve

Giruilla wrote: »
    i never had much of an opinion of him till i saw his goal against spurs - the flick up and volley -, better than henrys version against utd imo!

NO way! Henry had his back to goal and had to flick the ball up as it rolled towards him, then spin and hit a volley from distance. WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better

Ah tis ok.Ddelusions of grandeur are not uncommon from him. Poor lad:)

I honestly would take Torres (in his first year in the PL) over Ade any day of the week. I would have thought that most people would? you can call it delusions of grandeur all you want.
    better than henrys version against utd imo!

no way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If you swaped his name with Drogba people would be calling him world class, best striker in the league etc etc.

With him being only quite young 23 for that type of striker IMO he can only improve

I don't disagree with you except the example you used. Drogba was generally not rated by people till last season. It took a huge effort to finally win over people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

except for ade's first touch was poor, he didnt mean to flick the ball up. but good jesus did he make the most of it :D

Anyone see SSN footage this morning for Adebayor hitting Bendtner at the end of last nights game? suspension on its way i think...

Unearthly wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you except the example you used. Drogba was generally not rated by people till last season. It took a huge effort to finally win over people.

I agree with you. Seems like these unknown players have to prove themsleves more then household names. E.g. Torres.
    I suppose it goes down to marketing too. You go around the world people think David Beckham is the best player in the world and has been for the last 5 years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so is everyone just ignoring the fact he headbutted a player from his own team last night - not trying to stir anything up I am just amazed there hasnt been more talk about it in this thread!

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »
    so is everyone just ignoring the fact he headbutted a player from his own team last night - not trying to stir anything up I am just amazed there hasnt been more talk about it in this thread!
    Personally - I don't care about it. Not nice to see it happen on th pitch, but i'm sure there are minor bust ups at training grounds up and down the country every week. Not a big deal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

see previous page

so is everyone just ignoring the fact!

That a lot of people are saying Ade is better than Torres?!:confused: Seriosuly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That a lot of people are saying Ade is better than Torres?!:confused: Seriosuly
    Yeah, don't all you people realise that Torres is going to be named Player of teh Year, Players Player of the Year, European Player of the Year, Mr Alan Player of the Universe, World Player of the Year, Oscar for best Footballer in a foreign language role, Grammy for best football chant, MBE for services to Rafa...the list goes on.

HOW DARE YOU have the opinion that anyone is better than Torres.

srsly.

Torres is so overrated. He is good but not THAT good.

Des-as a manager-if you were picking a team, would Ade or Torres feature in your starting 11? honestly.

• Advertisement

If you asked me (I'm aware you didn't) it'd be Adebayor, up front with a striker who can score 20 goals in the league, because so far, as far as I know neither have done that yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ade do it this season though

Des-as a manager-if you were picking a team, would Ade or Torres feature in your starting 11? honestly.

These sort of questions always do depend on the other 10 players u have at your disposal and what type of game you are trying to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes.

Ade or Torres would feature in my starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DSB wrote: »
    If you asked me (I'm aware you didn't) it'd be Adebayor, up front with a striker who can score 20 goals in the league, because so far, as far as I know neither have done that yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ade do it this season though

At the moment i'd say both are on course to doing it.

Both players are different so can't really compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

DesF wrote: »

HOW DARE YOU have the opinion that anyone is better than Torres.

srsly.

Eto'o?? Berbatov?? Ronaldo (X2)??? Messi??? Kaka??? Villa??

Torres is class but nowhere near the best in the world or the premiership.

God knows he needs to be class to keep Liverpool in Champions League contention for next year!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement