Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emmanuel Adebayor - what's wrong with him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Unearthly wrote: »
    At the moment i'd say both are on course to doing it.

Both players are different so can't really compare

9 goals in 16 games will be difficult with trips to Old Trafford, Emirates and Stamford Bridge. No more games against Derby to bag easy goals against either. If he manages it I'll be heavily silenced though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DSB wrote: »
    Torres is so overrated. He is good but not THAT good.

you probably said that when he was in La Liga last year as well yea? then he moves to England, instantly settles in and is in the top scorers in the league playing for a struggling liverpool side. just too lazy to change your opinion? or would you like to explain how he is over-rated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

o is everyone just ignoring the fact he headbutted a player from his own team last night
    I think its only fact when it is eh.....fact. So far its only aleadged. If it was fact then sky would be showing on SSN all day, so far nothing.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you probably said that when he was in La Liga last year as well yea? then he moves to England, instantly settles in and is in the top scorers in the league playing for a struggling liverpool side. just too lazy to change your opinion? or would you like to explain how he is over-rated?

In which season has he scored loads? Shearer, Henry, Drogba, Van Nistelrooy all were banging them in here in the Premiership. Go over to La Liga you have players like Raul, Ronaldo, Makaay, Eto'o and yet again Van Nistelrooy who've been banging them in. Torres has scored a decent amount yeah. But when has he ever set the world alight to justify his massive reputation?

Mr Alan why cant you just respect other peoples opinion. You have yours. We have ours. If people dont rate him as highly as you, you dont have to start a crusade over it.

I dont understand how i am starting a crusade, someone says Torres is massively over-rated, i say the same people said that last year and when he was moving to England he would be shown up. Instead he has excelled. i fail to see how he is possibly over-rated, i aint saying he's the best player in the world or anything, but i certainly think anyone who says he is "over-rated" is simply wrong.

A lot of things in football come down to opinion, but some things are just undeniable.

I dont understand how i am starting a crusade, someone says Torres is massively over-rated, i say the same people said that last year and when he was moving to England he would be shown up. Instead he has excelled. i fail to see how he is possibly over-rated, i aint saying he's the best player in the world or anything, but i certainly think anyone who says he is "over-rated" is simply wrong.

A lot of things in football come down to opinion, but some things are just undeniable.

People make out he is close to the best striker in the world. I definitely think he has tonnes to prove before he gets close to that. In this manner I feel he is very overrated. I have acknowledged he is a very good player on many an occasion.

Who would you class as the best strikers in the world at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Consistently brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair play Mr Alan, you've turned another thread into a Liverpool one.

Do you have magic powers?

As for best strikers in the world.

Yeah, Torres is probably in the top 20 or something. That doesn't mean I think he's 20th best though, before you jump down my throat.

Ade is also in there, Drogba, Rooney, Ruud, Raul, Eto'o, Henry....meh. Who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jank wrote: »
    Mr Alan why cant you just respect other peoples opinion. You have yours. We have ours. If people dont rate him as highly as you, you dont have to start a crusade over it.

us liverpool fans get like that after the abuse we take in the liverpool forum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

At the moment, as someone who doesn't support any of the EPL teams. I'd take Ade. Purely on the basis of his current form.

Betty i advise you read back over the thread and see if i was the first person to mention a liverpool player.

Torres is in the top tier of strikers in the world, as is Ade. torres is better though ;) but certainly neither are over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Manny Adebayor has the potential to become one of, if not the, best strikers in the world. Play a small quick fella beside him a la Robbie Keane or the one we currently have, Eduardo and you could have a 50+ goal a season partnership.

Van Nistelrooy, Henry and Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Betty i advise you read back over the thread and see if i was the first person to mention a liverpool player.
    Are you saying it wasn't you?

If you are saying that, then fair enough, I'll take your word for it.

It wasnt me, people were saying that he doesnt get praised like Torres etc, when he does, so i came on to defend my boys! (the whole not posting while in work things is going really bad!)

i could go to any thread, slate the EL and you can bet your house you'll come trapsing in with your opinion on the matter defending your league, thats all i did.

Perhaps we should just have a "Best Striker In the World" thread. This has dived significantly off topic.

Van Nistelrooy, Henry and Drogba.

Ruud-no argument, class.

Henry and Drogba- do they deserve to be in there for their form this season?

• Advertisement

Ruud-no argument, class.

Henry and Drogba- do they deserve to be in there for their form this season?

Without doubt, form is temporary, class is permanent. Plus, Drogba has been dogged by injuries this season. It isn't that he has been off form really. I don't think you can find other strikers that should be ahead of them really, or can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

RVN, Eto'o, Drogba, Henry, trezeguet perhaps

do you reckon torres is their equal?
    Call_me_al wrote: »
    us liverpool fans get like that after the abuse we take in the liverpool forum!!

did yiz get your own forum now?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

| <---- Thread
    | So, Ade?
    | Ya, Ade?
    | Rly?
    | Ya, Ade?
    | Ade good!
    | Ya
    | But wai?
    |
    | Torres, tbh (Mr Alan)
    \
     \
      \
       \_
         \___
             \_______________________________
                                             \ Er, Ade?
                                             | Oh ya, Ade!
                                             | Hu?
                                       _____/ Ya, Ade!
                                     /
                                     | No, Torres. (Mr Alan)
                                      \________________________________________ 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Tbh what I've seen of Henry this season - and last season really - he's gone downhill. To do with injuries probably, but still. RVN, Eto'o, Drogba and Messi are what I would call the top tier of strikers at the moment. The likes of Torres and Abebayor are on a level below, having proved they can do it at the highest level, but not yet having proved they can do it consistently over seasons. Messi hasn't really proved this either, but he's just that good that he's in the top tier anyway.

(Yes, I know Torres has been going for a while, but you need to be AMAZING consistently for my top tier. He has been consistently excellent and occasionally AMAZING. Close, but still has much to prove.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think its only fact when it is eh.....fact. So far its only aleadged. If it was fact then sky would be showing on SSN all day, so far nothing.

Ahem.....

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/217/arsemaniaslowsy2.gif

FACT ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Player appreciation threads or "who's the best player in this specific position?" threads are inevitably the silliest things to appear in football forums.

It doesn't matter who you think is the best from a list of Ade, Torres, Rooney, Tevez, Drogba, Anelka. They all are exceptional players with particular strengths and weaknesses. They all contribute positively to their teams. AND THEY ARE ALL PROBABLY UNAVAILABLE TO THE OTHER THREE TOP FOUR PREMIERSHIP TEAMS.

Having a debate about whether Keane is more effective than Rooney may have some merit because it is conceivable that Ferguson could bring him in at some point. But Drogba is never going to Utd. And Rooney is never going to be sold to Arsenal etc, etc. The top four generally don't sell off their top players to one another. So it's all moot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That's what you think.

Its not our fault if liverpool are kinda $hite at the moment!?:D

Hmmm all i see in that heavily pixalated photo is Adebayor's arm close to Bendtner's head.

So where is the headbutt??

Can we get this thread back on topic!

So do ye reckon Adebayor will catch ronaldo to finish as top goalscorer?
    Do ye reckon will he be nominated for player of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I still cant understand how you guys can say RVN is up their with the best strikers at the moment when he's barely making 25 starts a season. Must just be me :D I'd still rather have the "downhill" henry before him.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I still cant understand how you guys can say RVN is up their with the best strikers at the moment when he's barely making 25 starts a season. Must just be me :D I'd still rather have the "downhill" henry before him.

Played over 40 games last season and has played 24 games already this season:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Huh, you're joking, right, Mad_Max :confused: He's constantly banging them in for Real and playing nearly every game.

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote: »
    Huh, you're joking, right, Mad_Max :confused: He's constantly banging them in for Real and playing nearly every game.

Real? Who are we talking about now, I said Henry who is playing for Barcelona (Correct me if im wrong there). btw the guy's in his first season in a new team,league etc. New style of play after a long time at arsenal. Give him a chance before writing him off!!

Uneartly, Im basing this on league appearances as we are talking about strikers in the league. He hasnt played more than 25 games a season for arsenal and has only scored more than 10 league goals once. To me thats not overly consistent.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Real? Who are we talking about now, I said Henry who is playing for Barcelona (Correct me if im wrong there). btw the guy's in his first season in a new team,league etc. New style of play after a long time at arsenal. Give him a chance before writing him off!!

Uneartly, Im basing this on league appearances as we are talking about strikers in the league. He hasnt played more than 25 games a season for arsenal and has only scored more than 10 league goals once. To me thats not overly consistent.

RVN = Robin Van Persie to you? :p

We are talking about Van Nistelrooy

Haha apologies so!. Typo ... bad one at that

*Books appointment at specsavers* was convinced that was rvp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Archimedes wrote: »

Looks like Bendtner squaring up to Ade and Ade pushing him away. Maybe a better quality clip might shed some light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

So do ye reckon Adebayor will catch ronaldo to finish as top goalscorer?
    Do ye reckon will he be nominated for player of the year?

He can catch Ronaldo if he doesn't get suspended for the handbags with Nik.

He should be nominated for player of the year but it'd take a really amazing run in for him to win it. Should take a place in the team of the year if he keeps going like he has been.

| <---- Thread
    | So, Ade?
    | Ya, Ade?
    | Rly?
    | Ya, Ade?
    | Ade good!
    | Ya
    | But wai?
    |
    | Torres, tbh (Mr Alan)
    \
     \
      \
       \_
         \___
             \_______________________________
                                             \ Er, Ade?
                                             | Oh ya, Ade!
                                             | Hu?
                                       _____/ Ya, Ade!
                                     /
                                     | No, Torres. (Mr Alan)
                                      \________________________________________ 

Both the funniest and strangest post Ive read all day!

Chalked up two more against Newky yesterday. Seems to like scoring against them.

I think his footwork his phenomenal, he showed it yesterday with one of his goals and with the goal against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I think his footwork his phenomenal, he showed it yesterday with one of his goals and with the goal against Spurs.

Its all the more impressive considering his size, he has the power to add to the footwork, its very hard to shoulder him off the ball. I think thats why so many defenders have said they don't like defending against him. He's not the complete article yet but he certainly has all the ingredients required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Qs wrote: »
    Its all the more impressive considering his size, he has the power to add to the footwork, its very hard to shoulder him off the ball. I think thats why so many defenders have said they don't like defending against him. He's not the complete article yet but he certainly has all the ingredients required.

So, he's like a good Peter Crouch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

psi wrote: »

Just seems he's a VERY understated player while people talk this season about Tevez, Torres, Anelka and Keane.

ok fair enough people talk about how good anelka,torres and tevez are i still think that keane is very under rated

2 more for Ade today. Aside from the goals, his overall workrate is immense. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The only thing the guy is missing now is being a good freekick taker. Would've loved to have seen with bergkamp behind him.

Shameful dive today. But we'll say no more, he doesnt play for United so ssshhh....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Shameful dive today. But we'll say no more, he doesnt play for United so ssshhh....

I agree, unusual for him which is maybe why you won't hear much.

Why do utd fans persist with the shameful chants at Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I agree, unusual for him which is maybe why you won't hear much.

Why do utd fans persist with the shameful chants at Wenger.

Ye, must admit from a Utd point of view I cringe at that chant.

I missed the chant. Is it something that can be posted here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

One of the dramatical dives I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I missed the chant. Is it something that can be posted here?

Basic gist of it is calling Wenger a kiddy fiddler:(

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    One of the dramatical dives I've seen.

Im guessing the worst you've seen is Gilardino's against your lot? That was shocking...

Advertisement