Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emmanuel Adebayor - what's wrong with him?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nunu wrote: »
    Ye, must admit from a Utd point of view I cringe at that chant.

IMO the club should take action against "fans" who sing that.
    Its ironic then with all the talk about city fans ruining the minutes silence (which they didnt!). A great number of united fans were imo disappointed that their own prejeduces could not be fueled further when that minute went off peacefully.
    Hypocrisy at its best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hypocrisy is always going to exist in a group of 70,000 people :) It's probably always going to exist in a group of 2 :P

PHB wrote: »
    Hypocrisy is always going to exist in a group of 70,000 people :) It's probably always going to exist in a group of 2 :P

So you think that chant is ok then?
    How about if they sing monkey chants? Would that be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A lot of chants need to stop really, however were that to happen, we might miss out on the likes of Cashley taking it with a mobile phone. If only for that, the positives outweigh the negatives. But, yes, the fans that sing a song like above, are big giant moron's.

Also, rightfully, matters of race should be dealt with by the authorities, it's not just the french that can be kiddie fiddlers, that's just the way it is, and is incomparable, and really a discussion for humanities, not here (and this comes from experience in dealing with racist issues).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Shocking dive from him yesterday. Dunno what Ade was thinking, it would have made **** all of a difference anyway had the ref not copped it.

Anyway, here's hoping he brings Nesta for a nice stroll next week. He should certainly have the legs on him.

• Advertisement

I don't like the chant, I think it's utterly libelous and didn't sing it. That said, some people are gona sing it in every group of fans, some aren't. That's the way it goes

I don't like the chant, I think it's utterly libelous and didn't sing it. That said, some people are gona sing it in every group of fans, some aren't. That's the way it goes

And some fans will sing monkey chants and throw bananas but thats they way it goes!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

jank wrote: »
    And some fans will sing monkey chants and throw bananas but thats they way it goes!:rolleyes:

unfortunatley.....yes it is! every football club has those so called "fans" that bring down the reputation of the real fans!

Indeed, but racist chants are much much more serious imo. Throwing is once again different, because you could physically damage somebody.

If Wenger pushed this with the FA, then I'd fully support the idea, but he won't, cause he couldn't give a crap. It's an admittidly tasteless bit of banter. Which is why Wenger really couldn't give a **** about it.
    Racism is another issue, because it's not anywhere near as harmless.

unfortunatley.....yes it is! every football club has those so called "fans" that bring down the reputation of the real fans!

You totally missed my point. Yes this was a problem about 25 years ago and has largely been eradicated but back then people just shrugged shoulders and said what can we do. Well lots if you put your mind to it.

We had a week of "bleeding hearts for munich" and these are the same fans who sing this song:rolleyes: Yes every club has these fans (not man city though!!:D:D)

To be fair phb calling someone a peado is not harmless banter. It can damage someone reputation irreversably and should be up there with racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jank wrote: »
    To be fair phb calling someone a peado is not harmless banter. It can damage someone reputation irreversably and should be up there with racism.

Its libel. although I'm sure the likes of wenger have better things to do than hunt down muppets who call him names. Managing a football club is one.

It's all about context.
    Do you honestly believe that anyone actually thinks Wenger is a peadophile? I really doubt it. Everyone knows its just slaging off.
    Racism is a whole different kettle of fish.
    Ideally I'd like to see them both gone from the game, but to be honest, I think racism should be the focus for now :)

It's all about context.
    Do you honestly believe that anyone actually thinks Wenger is a peadophile? I really doubt it. Everyone knows its just slaging off.
    Racism is a whole different kettle of fish.

I dunno, everyone knows Sean Wright-Phiilips aint a monkey neither.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Its libel. although I'm sure the likes of wenger have better things to do than hunt down muppets who call him names. Managing a football club is one.

It's not libel, go and look up what libel is, and then come back with your head removed from arse.

You can't sue someone who just calls you names, it has to be done in a way which implies the allegation is true, in the case above, the statement is so ludicrous, that it could not be taken as being true in any court in europe. However, if the sun published a story making the above statement, then they could be sued for libel, as it would be taken they were stating a fact. (of course depending on how they did it).

It is stupid, but I don't see how a campaign to stamp these chants out would work, as they are being made against individuals (Wenger, Redknapp, Cashley for example). I'm sure DesF would be banned from every ground in the country, given the stories he's told, if you want the likes of "You'll never walk alone", and fields of athenry to be sung, then you have to accept the more stupid and idiotic chants with them.

astrofool wrote: »
    It's not libel, go and look up what libel is, and then come back with your head removed from arse.

You are correct on the libel bit. I got libel confused with slander (sue me). Thank you for correcting me but I would appreciate if you dropped the attitude.
    Now moving on, I know people who have been sued for less than what has been aimed at Mr. Wenger.

Who have you seen sued, and the case being won, for less than was said to Wenger? (and not having to resort to countries with dictators who kill anyone who says they're not a fine upstanding person).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Who have you seen sued, and the case being won, for less than was said to Wenger? (and not having to resort to countries with dictators who kill anyone who says they're not a fine upstanding person).

Ashley Cole sued, and won, when it was insinuated by 2 tabloids (Sun and NOTW) that he was gay and used a mobile phone as an anal toy. The papers had to appologise and he was awarded an undisclosed fee in damages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

That chant is the reason ferguson got my blood boiling, with his dossier of abuse he was going on about after the emirates game. That chants being going on for years anytime Arsenal play at OT.

As for Ade, stupid dive, his foot was barely stood on, and he made a meal of it. The only time we showed a bit of life was when he came on. at least himself and bendtner did'nt go at it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

at least himself and bendtner did'nt go at it again.

He was hardly going to tell the whole team they were ****.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ashley Cole sued, and won, when it was insinuated by 2 tabloids (Sun and NOTW) that he was gay and used a mobile phone as an anal toy. The papers had to appologise and he was awarded an undisclosed fee in damages.

That was a case of libel:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5117578.stm

Read the earlier posts if you want to know the difference.

• Advertisement

Libel and slander are basically the same thing, just one is written and the other is spoken.

Of course we are all going WAY off topic now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm sure DesF would be banned from every ground in the country, given the stories he's told,
    Woah, I seem to have missed this earlier.

What the..?:eek:

DesF wrote: »
    Woah, I seem to have missed this earlier.

What the..?:eek:

Given your tirades against players playing on the touch line :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

30 goals in 47 games now for him this season. By way of comparison, Didier Drogba has never managed a ratio that prolific. Not bad for a player who some Gooners refuse to rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

yeah i must say i enjoy watchig him play he's a really good player and deserves more aknowledgement(think that's spelt wrong) for his form this season and this is from a united fan..

Fantastic Season from him. Hopefully we will see more of the same from him next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

if he stays...

if he stays...

Has there been any suggestion that he wont?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He won't leave any time soon. Wenger took him from the bench at Monaco where he was a 1 goal in 5 striker and made him what he is now. He is adored by the match going fans. He knows on which side his bread is buttered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement