Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dissing another woman in 1 easy step....

• 19-01-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

So, I usually work with mostly women.

Therefore, often when I see a hot lady in the job, there isn't a guy within earshot for me to go "phwoarrrrrr, check out that burd".

So, I say it to the nearest girl instead. I feel I have earned that right, after several years of watching what are, eseentiually, scenes from diet coke ads :p

Now, it's pretty rare for one girl to agree another is a hottie....but they have this great way of putting them down, while pretending to agree with me.

I get a great laugh out of this.

My fave responses to my drooling "my God, do you see her?? She is outrageously hot" are....

1) Yes, she's conventionally attractive alright

2) Yes, she's well presented

3) Yes, she obviously spends a lot on her appearance

These are just the recurring ones. But presumably there's a science behind it? I'm assuming you guys go to class for this kind of thing?

So, enlighten me....what phrases do you guys use to diss another lady without making it obvious?

Let me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

I would say... well she doesnt do it for me... but she's pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

"She makes the most of herself"

(God, us women can be awful bitches!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well.. i suppose i can see where you're coming from... wouldn't be my cup of tea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

women are great at this - not neccesarily a good thing! i have a "friend" (were in the same group of friends but generally dont get along) who would be forever disguising insults in her comments..

eg. "wow that top makes you look so thin" - you fat b*tch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

just... while we're on the issue... maybe i should start a new thread, but it's kinda been brought up here... as someone who spends a lot of time with guys (and is actually more likely to agree with him/point out someone hotter when he points a chick out), and has a very limited circle of female friends, is it just me, or are females, in general, a lot bitchier, or less trustworthy as friends than males? like sar84 has said above, about a friend who will say one thing and mean another, or as tallaght01 has said about girls constantly subtely putting each other down, is it just me, or are these traits that are a lot less likely to be seen in blokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

narco wrote: »
    just... while we're on the issue... maybe i should start a new thread, but it's kinda been brought up here... as someone who spends a lot of time with guys (and is actually more likely to agree with him/point out someone hotter when he points a chick out), and has a very limited circle of female friends, is it just me, or are females, in general, a lot bitchier, or less trustworthy as friends than males? like sar84 has said above, about a friend who will say one thing and mean another, or as tallaght01 has said about girls constantly subtely putting each other down, is it just me, or are these traits that are a lot less likely to be seen in blokes?

definitely a lot less likely in men. i had an all male class in college & there was none of the b*tchiness you get with women. if men dont like each other it seems they simply dont talk. everyone in my class got on.

compare that to a female class youd usually have little cliques, lots of girls who'll be nice & sweet to someones face, big "omg how are you?!?!" type things followed by turning around to someone else to b*tch about the same girl. im not saying all girls are like this, plenty arent.

but given the choice between a class of men and a class of women id choose the men (but maybe with a girl or 2 for some female company, sometimes a girl needs to talk about clothes or something! :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

One thing I always remember that came up in conversation amongst my group of guy & girlfriends is similar to Sar84's....

"You know you actually did really well in that exam"
    more like.... yeah for once ya thick b*tch
    (we were in school at the time)

I've been wary of the word "actually" since

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

tallaght01 wrote: »

Therefore, often when I see a hot lady in the job, there isn't a guy within earshot for me to go "phwoarrrrrr, check out that burd".

So, I say it to the nearest girl instead. I feel I have earned that right, after several years of watching what are, eseentiually, scenes from diet coke ads

Boner wednesday has come and gone. Congrads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

sar84 wrote: »
    definitely a lot less likely in men. i had an all male class in college & there was none of the b*tchiness you get with women. if men dont like each other it seems they simply dont talk. everyone in my class got on.

compare that to a female class youd usually have little cliques, lots of girls who'll be nice & sweet to someones face, big "omg how are you?!?!" type things followed by turning around to someone else to b*tch about the same girl. im not saying all girls are like this, plenty arent.

It's all about power. Men of similar prowess (be it wealth, charm with the ladies, physical strength or intelligence) will conflict, but once they have resolved their differences (i.e. one has shown their superiority) peace is restored. Women don't overtly clash like this, so they will constantly be in conflict in covert ways, like making spiteful comments. This, of course, is a very general rule of thumb, but it's consistent with, for example, the anecdote of two men having a fight and then a few beers afterwards. For men, not liking another person is a very brief sentiment. For women, it's lifelong.
    sar84 wrote: »
    but given the choice between a class of men and a class of women id choose the men (but maybe with a girl or 2 for some female company, sometimes a girl needs to talk about clothes or something! )

Obviously you would, because the 3 of you would be treated like queens. I'd certainly choose to be in a class of all women (but for some impossible reason the subject would have to be something manly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

My fave responses to my drooling "my God, do you see her?? She is outrageously hot" are....

Well in all fairness if my job needed me to have my hair always tied up, wear (shapeless) scrubs, no make-up and have to shove a thermometer up the arse of every fat ba*tard that had a heart attack because he went for the steak instead of the salad I wouldn't be feeling that pretty either 102.gif

They're girls you work with, it's their job and they do it no matter the consequences, the people you see and compare to them have a life and the time, maybe you should learn to have more respect for your female co-workers because they give up alot to save people (like you do) and really critisizing them just because they don't fit your standards of pretty considering they are just as elbow deep in sh!t and blood as you are says a f*cking lot about you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Kazobel wrote: »
    Well in all fairness if my job needed me to have my hair always tied up, wear (shapeless) scrubs, no make-up and have to shove a thermometer up the arse of every fat ba*tard that had a heart attack because he went for the steak instead of the salad I wouldn't be feeling that pretty either 102.gif

The people we tend to look after tend to be very underweight, at low risk for high cholesterol and have never eaten steak in their lives :p

Which only emphasizes the second part of my reply really :rolleyes:

Which only emphasizes the second part of my reply really :rolleyes:

:confused:

but moving swiftly on.....I think blokes can be just as wanky to each other. It just doesn't usually involve slagging each other about physical imperfections so much :p

:confused:

but moving swiftly on.....I think blokes can be just as wanky to each other. It just doesn't usually involve slagging each other about physical imperfections so much :p

Why would it? the only physical imperfection a man would be bothered with is being accused of having a small penis 102.gif

Why would it? the only physical imperfection a man would be bothered with is being accused of having a small penis 102.gif

That wud be an excellent point....if it were true :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

OMG, you've lost LOADS of weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

OP, you're the one being put down. The women you're talking to are turning your juvenile drooling into a flat, rational discussion.

As for men vs women as friends, men can be good mates to each other, but they may be less loyal to women friends. I started out a few years ago with more men friends than women; over the years the men drifted off while the women stayed good friends with me. Your mileage may vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Maybe it's because if she said 'holy sh1t you're right she's gorgeous' you, or other less noble men, would start drooling about the two of them getting it on and letting you watch. I always find guys think it's ok to say another fella is good looking but if a girl does it she automatically wants the other girl, naked, on the office floor, with the guys of the office watching :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

tallaght, if a woman proclaimed that "that guy is so hot!" how would you reply:

a) If you thought he was hot
    b) If you thought he wasn't hot

?

Gordon wrote: »

?

I don't think any guys are hot, so that's never an issue :p

• Advertisement

I don't think any guys are hot, so that's never an issue :p
    Exactly.

So how would you respond?

I always shrug me shoulders and say I don't know if a bloke is hot or if he's a hound. It's true.

I always shrug me shoulders and say I don't know if a bloke is hot or if he's a hound. It's true.
    Diss of the century! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I have a lot more male friends than female friends but the thing with the male friends is that once a girlfriend comes on the scene it's often been see ya later. Whether that's down to them or the girlfriend I don't know but it does make you wonder why they were friends with you in the first place. Not all of them but a few.

As for the bitchiness in girls, I choose not to be friends with girls like that. There's a bitch in us all but in general I hate it so keep well away if I can.

It's true, though. I have no idea if a guy is good looking or not, particularly since girls have such differing views on what constitutes "attractive".

But what I do always tell the girls is that they should believe me when I say how easy it is for a girl to get a date.

You're pretty much guaranteed at least a civil reception if you're a girl trying to chat up a guy. The amount of times I've heard a girl saying "i was just in the canteen, and that weirdo (insert name) just started talking to me" about a totally nice/normal guy.

The converse isn't always true though. Most guys will be flattered if a girl approaches them randomly. So, I always tell the girls to go for it if they fancy a bloke, but they never believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Something like that is usually only said in fun. I would nearly always tend to agree (The guys I work with have good taste in women!) or if I don't I'd point out someone I do like!

If I was to insult it would usually be a sign that I'm jealous and that would usually be more to do with the guy noticing her and me not wanting to hear it rather than anything to do with the girl!!

Yes girls are 10 times more bitchy than guys most of the time. Our minds work completely different to guys. I think someone explained it quite well above but I'm not going back to quote! I find women tend to be more bitter than guys. If we want to insult we get right in there and can choose the perfect insecurity to pounce on so there's more of a sting from it. Usually it's hidden too so you yourself would know it's an insult but most people standing around would think she was being nice and you're fuming! We're just good at being bitchy if we need to be.

Kaz, I read your posts and was thinking WTF? :confused:

Something like that would nearly always be said in friendly banter especially with the girls you work with regardless of what you do for a living. I don’t see how anyone is disrespecting anyone by saying that! Where would you get the idea that he’s criticizing anyone by mention that someone is gorgeous? There is no criticism or disrespect in the comment. If they were to take it up that way I would tend to think that was THEIR problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

takola wrote: »
    Something like that would nearly always be said in friendly banter especially with the girls you work with regardless of what you do for a living. I don’t see how anyone is disrespecting anyone by saying that! Where would you get the idea that he’s criticizing anyone by mention that someone is gorgeous? There is no criticism or disrespect in the comment. If they were to take it up that way I would tend to think that was THEIR problem.

That's the key here for me - it's during workplace banter. Catch me when i'm getting a coffee, or when things are calm and i'll happily discuss the relative attractiveness of someone of either gender (in a non-derogatory way, if you know what i mean?), but if i'm having a busy/bad day it'll be the one sentence reply.

I have a friend that I have my bitching sessions with (got to get it out of the system once in a while), he's a heterosexual male but can bitch better than any woman i know, i think all men have that side to them too but just suppress it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I think we women do like to get our digs in. But that sets up a vicious circle because then the next thing your friend/acquaintance/whatever says will be viewed as another dig back at you.
    I think it's easier to assume that the other person is innocent and not trying to diss you. In that way, if they're not trying to diss you, you've saved yourself a whole lot of heartache.
    And if they are trying to diss you, well then you've just annoyed them because you aren't fazed by what they've said :p

cuckoo wrote: »
    That's the key here for me - it's during workplace banter. Catch me when i'm getting a coffee, or when things are calm and i'll happily discuss the relative attractiveness of someone of either gender (in a non-derogatory way, if you know what i mean?), but if i'm having a busy/bad day it'll be the one sentence reply.

That comes down to the mood you're in at the time though. If I've had a bad day or am in bad form for whatever reason it wouldn't matter if Elvis or <insertgorgeousfemalehere> was put in front of me, it'd probably still be a snappish reply.

I still wouldn't misinterpret it to mean they were criticising me or disrespecting me in any way though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Metallic_Sky**

takola wrote: »
    If we want to insult we get right in there and can choose the perfect insecurity to pounce on so there's more of a sting from it. Usually it's hidden too so you yourself would know it's an insult but most people standing around would think she was being nice and you're fuming! We're just good at being bitchy if we need to be.

Well explained and though this is our strongest strategy its also our weakest point.

Also another great pretend agreement but actual insult could be when a man says "Wow she looks hot!" And the reply is "Yeah she looks good for her age." Wouldn't you just love to slap her? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Gordon wrote: »

?

Well anytime the girls in work start spottin fellas in the canteen I say they're gay. Drives the girls mental. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well it depnds, I would either say what who ? who ? sorry didn't notice.
    Or if a bloke was pissing me off peristantly pointing out women then I will say she is nice but and then critque her appearance and make extrapolations based on it :D

or ask the guy makin the comments does he think she has brown or pink nipples or a large or tiny clit to embarass him and shut him up.
    Thing is you might get done for sexual harrashement in the work place with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

So, I say it to the nearest girl instead. I feel I have earned that right, after several years of watching what are, eseentiually, scenes from diet coke ads :p

Now, it's pretty rare for one girl to agree another is a hottie....but they have this great way of putting them down, while pretending to agree with me.

These are just the recurring ones. But presumably there's a science behind it? I'm assuming you guys go to class for this kind of thing?

So, enlighten me....what phrases do you guys use to diss another lady without making it obvious?

Let me

I can see shes eating well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I can see shes eating well.

Which than leads to "wow, yeah, she has a glow all right...pregnancy is really suiting her."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The other one that women say is 'she is very obviously good looking' as if thats a bad thing and that its actually better if someone has to look at you a good while before they can find your beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

can't stand bitchiness!! But unfort we seem to be wired in a way that even the nicest girl if you dig deep enough has a bitchy side waiting to come out. Anyone be they male/female being bitchy stems from insecurity & reflects more on them than whoever they're bitching about.

When it comes to friends i reckon girls are more fickle - guys seem to hold onto the friends they've made when they were kids. Really great girlfriends are hard to come by but when u do - hold onto them - nothing compares :0

Have no problem giving a girls her dews - if she's a babe i'm the first to say it. On the other hand guys who can't admit to knowing a guy is hot - what's that all about? mmmm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To a girl- who has obviously spent ages on the most elaborate hairdo I've ever seen, but it still manages to look like wildlife might suddenly jump out at you:

"What do you think of my hair?"-
    totally bland voice back to her-
    "It suits your face......."

smccarrick wrote: »
    To a girl- who has obviously spent ages on the most elaborate hairdo I've ever seen, but it still manages to look like wildlife might suddenly jump out at you:

"What do you think of my hair?"-
    totally bland voice back to her-
    "It suits your face......."

:eek: Ooh that would sting!

Advertisement