Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move to Ireland...can someone sort out the "restricted" thing for me??

Options
  • 19-01-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Ireland. I am trying to find actual concrete information on what guns fall under the "restricted" categories....he has the following:
    1. semi automatic 7.62x39 straight pull military style
    2. 7 shot semi automatic 45
    3. .380 10 round semi automatic

I understand that there are safety requirements as far as safes,etc...which are all fine. My husband was in the military and law enforcement throughout europe/south america/middle east and really wants to take his guns with him. He is an avid hunter and enjoys target practicing.
    Please note that I am REALLY not trying to start a political debate here, I am just trying to get some information!
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

D_C, please understand that this is a topic which has just caused much stress in this forum and the moderators have not yet reached consensus on how to proceed. Accordingly, I'm closing this thread with the single point of information that, at present, there are no points of information on what will be on the restricted list, and anyone telling you otherwise is misinformed or worse. As to what entry on the restricted list means, it means you must apply to the Commissioner instead of your local Garda superintendent and fulfill the standard criteria, plus additional ones as defined by the Commissioner; again, noone can tell you what those will be because (a) noone bar the commissioner sets them and they can vary on any basis he/she wishes, and that includes on an individual case-by-case basis as well as a blanket precondition; and (b) the Commissioner is not legally required to divulge all the preconditions.

At present, however, this legislation is not in force and you simply apply to your local Superintendent as per the usual procedure.

Further threads on this topic - for the moment only - are off-limits. Hopefully not for very long at all, but it's necessary for the moment I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement