Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Galwegian bands.

Options
  • 20-01-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to reccomend some good bands in the Galway area?

There was always some good bands on back where I came from and still havnt come across the good local bands here.

I'm into punk mostly but most types of decent rock will do me for now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Saw Docs ^_^ *runs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Saw Docs ^_^ *runs*

Tuam doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Kila!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Gurt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Tuam doesn't count.
    Why not? Theres great music from Tuam; Noelie McDonnell for one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Without a doubt weightless astronauts. Play the quays every sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No Banjo
    Lewid Tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

There was always some good bands on back where I came from and still havnt come across the good local bands here.

I'm into punk mostly but most types of decent rock will do me for now.
    Two local bands I recommend are The Ghostwood Project and Only Fumes and Corpses
    Keep an eye on the gigs in Sally Longs. It's a horrible bar but one of the few places in Galway to see live punk/metal gigs. A lot of the event are put on by Us vs Them. For example there's a gig there next Thursday (Jan 24th) which is probably worth checking out.
    Also check out Roisin Dubh. There's a wide range of music played live there, some of which can be terrible but often you'll find a gem!

Jamey wrote: »
    I was actually looking for these guys earlier on MySpace and I couldn't find them :). Cheers for the link!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

ethernet wrote: »
    Gurt ;)

Is that the heavy band, david and his bro(s)? the offspring of Davey you know who...?

Jesus, I was in college with that lad about 5 years ago.

KIF are really good. Link

Tightrope also Link/

Both are tribute acts of the highest order

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

gufcfan wrote: »
    KIF are really good. Link

Tightrope also Link/

Both are tribute acts of the highest order
    Not forgetting Pyramid. Fielding Nigel Tufnel on bass without the slightest trace of irony.

Robbo wrote: »
    Not forgetting Pyramid. Fielding Nigel Tufnel on bass without the slightest trace of irony.

Sorry, Pyramid of course. Nigel Tufnel? Spinal Tap... haha

Does yer man off Ros na Run still play with them?

No, not really.
    Have you listened to every Galway band out there? If so, I'm impressed and I bow to your superior knowledge of the Galway music scene :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nope, I'm just saying I can't recommend any that I have heard. Haven't been a great fan of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Cover bands shouldn't be in anyone's recommendation. I say this as someone who has played in one for 3 years around Galway.

Plenty of local original bands and performers that need support

By the way, keep an eye out for Dark Room Notes. They are based in Dublin but 2 of the guys are local lads from Galway and play whenever they can here -excellent band

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

The best covers band is Chameleon, who play in the Quays every Friday. Much more interesting material than the usual Lizzy/U2/ACDC that every other covers band seems to do.

www.myspace.com/chameleonireland

No Banjo are great at that rootsy Neil Young/Dylan/Americana vibe. Also good in their original-band incarnation, The Cartoon Thieves.

www.myspace.com/thecartoonthieves

If you're into blues, check out the Lazy Blues Band; they play in the Crane every few weeks.

www.myspace.com/thelazybluesband

And not forgetting the Scandinavian bluegrass/gypsy fiddle band, Cafe Minor:

www.myspace.com/cafeminor

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Someone mentioned Sally Longs earlier. Check out the gig on this Thursday if you are into punk rock. You won't be dissappointed

Some Galway punkish bands... Gundhi. Les Christpunchers, Captain Spaulding, Class Destruction, Only Fumes & Corpses. Also check out The Ghostwood Project, Fubar, And For Us, Just, Indognation, Crystal Snowstorm..
    Old bands that are split up but might interst you... Fuktifino, Carry No Banners, Fulcrum, The Boy You Hit Is Dead..

Good few indie/experimental bands around as well which ya might dig..
    This was written in about 30 secs so apologies to anyone i may have ommited.

Look here..
    www.myspace.com/usvsthemgalway
    www.myspace.com/onlyfumesandcorpses
    www.galwaymusic.proboards70.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I agree with the earlier post, cover bands should not be included in this....Cartoon thieves, No Banjo, always a good night out...Kanyu Tree aren't my thing but seem quite popular in a college bar sort of way...and the Disconnect4 are fun..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bring back the Black Mariahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

And shoot em. Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Anyone remember Judas Diary? Used to play in the Rosin Dubh back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

ethernet wrote: »
    Gurt ;)

Hell yes! The Walking Dead. Their song "Freedom" is awesome. Graham is in the same college as me...

Also, me recommends Bobo. Them's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Cuckoo Savante are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Toasted Heretic! :)

toastedheretic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Aww..toasted heretic :)

My mates love No Banjo, haven't seen them yet.
    Would second Cuckoo Savante, saw them only for the first time recently (not under a rock, I was overseas :) ) really good gig.

Can think of a lot of solo/mellower musicians too but they're not bands.
    Surprisingly for winter, some great buskers out too recently.

Advertisement